TJM

UPS finally delivered Santa's package to FFL....

Ordered before Christmas....used local FFL/gunsmith (yeah $15 transfer fee) and had to wait over a week for the delivery from Classic Pistol in PA to him...but alas my new Dan Wesson Valor is here. My first 1911, learned a lot from reading this board, which after reading from many of you convinced me to look for a S&W Pro Series 1911. After learning I'd have a better change of meeting Jesus than finding a dealer with the S&W in stock, was talking to some folks and fell for old, 'for just a little bit more you could buy....' argument. It worked. After 1st trip to Shoreshot this weekend (no pics, place was crazy and didn't want to do that to the staff or those waiting), and first 100 rounds through her without issue, I'm thrilled.

I find I am more accurate with this than my Sig 226 - literally, the first 5 rounds at 25 feet (feet, not yards, not as good as some of you out there) out of the box were all low but on center. Adjust my site picture, and the next 10 rounds returned ot me a target that had one hole where the bullseye used to be. Had never done that with the 226, and certainly not on shots 6-16 in the life of the gun.

It just feels like a really different gun, better made and great in the hand. 'She who makes the decisions,' who has had one enjoyable range trip with the sig, has pronounced after some hand holding that the Valor feels great in the hand.

Amazed how tight this was, pulling it apart to clean/lube it before the trip to SS was a job....likely combined with my inexperience with the 1911 platform, but also the tightness of the parts. There is no play anywhere...after a good job cleaning and lubing up with the factory oil, off we went. I really like the Heine site setup, seemed easier for me to locate target with this vs the traditional 3 dot. Recoil felt almost on par with the 9mm sig. Amazed at the grips, how 'grippy' - I carry these 2 inside fabric pouches that go inside my Midway range bag, pulling this out of the pouch the first time.....rip....sounds like pulling apart 2 pieces of velcro with the fabric getting wrapped up in the grip...have to see if I can turn the pouch inside out to prevent that next time...Looking forward to return trip to SS in next few days to continue to break her in. Bought 2 extra Wilson Combat mags...had no issue with them or the 2 factory Check-Mate mags either. 100 rounds of 230 federal .45 ammo, no issues, no FTF, etc.

Attached a poor photo.

Tom

post-4032-0-33146700-1326082170_thumb.jpg

Pic of the other side...sorry for not including this first go round.

On an unrelated note, any tips for posting image in your profile? I'm able to successfully attach photos here, but everytime i try in my profile, keep getting an error....I'm sure it's user error....just trying to get something up there.....

post-4032-0-15592500-1326156148_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

It looks to be the same finish as my TRP. It has the same front strap checkering too. I really like that 45! What mags came with it if I might opine sir?

its not the same finish as the trp ray, its molecular bonded to the steel. also the valor is great because no mim parts all the small parts in a trp are mim (metal injection molded)

I'm glad someone else is as crazy about their Valor as I am. I followed the same line as you, started looking at the Colt Rail Gun, then moved up to the TRP, then decided that, for a little bit more, I could have the Valor. I've since put many rounds through mine (probably close to 750) and it has loosened up a bit, but it is still super accurate (much more than me) and a real joy to shoot. I also love the low-profile grips it comes with. They're pretty sharp which takes a bit of getting used to (but then again so is the the checkering).

img0008ko.jpg

In the last three months I purchased an STI Lawman and a Valor. In my opinion the Valor is better in fit, finish and trigger. Both are extremely accurate, but if I had to have one it would definitely be the Valor. It is my favorite pistol.