randomhero

Pump Action shotgun Restrictions

Hello, apologize if this is a redundant topic or question. are there any resctricions on pump action shotguns in NJ? I want to be a mossberg 590A1 Nine-shot speed feed, and want to make sure it is legal in NJ. From what i've read it appears to be, but want to double check that 9 rounds on a pump action are allowed in NJ, thanks for any help.

Yes, you can have a SHOTgun, a shitgun you might not want to telle everyome about

Hello, apologize if this is a redundant topic or question. are there any resctricions on pump action shitguns :sarcastichand:in NJ? I want to be a mossberg 590A1 Nine-shot speed feed, and want to make sure it is legal in NJ. From what i've read it appears to be, but want to double check that 9 rounds on a pump action are allowed in NJ, thanks for any help.

Yes 9 rounds or even a pistol grip are all OK on a pump. You should also check out the Remington 870 and the Benelli Supernova. I recently picked up the Remington 870 model # 25077.

I'm split between the 590a1 and the Remington 870. Both seem like great guns. I'm a first time owner. What's the general consensus on the superior gun?

Handle them both and see which you prefer. For me the 870 receiver seemed slimmer and more comfortable. I also preferred the bead sights and the 870 safety location is more suited if I ever decide to add a pistol grip with stock.

I have both, both are fine guns. The rem is the best starter scatter gun because its easy to break down, and very durable. The A1 on the other hand is also a fine gun. Metal parts rule. It really comes down to what you want to do with the shotgun, sporting, hunting, home defense, etc.

Can you attach a flashlight to the remmington 870 exrpess tactical? I was doing some research and came across an article that said

"I wish Remington would have included at least a rail on the fore-end or barrel/magazine tube area for mounting a light. I'm a firm believer that any defense weapon should have a light and the cost for this addition would be minimal (i.e. look at what Remington did for the 887 Nitro Mag Tactical)."

Can you attach a flashlight to the remmington 870 exrpess tactical? I was doing some research and came across an article that said

"I wish Remington would have included at least a rail on the fore-end or barrel/magazine tube area for mounting a light. I'm a firm believer that any defense weapon should have a light and the cost for this addition would be minimal (i.e. look at what Remington did for the 887 Nitro Mag Tactical)."

The CDM clamp (Mod-C) is a good example of how you can attach a light. I have the Rem 870 Express Synthetic 7 round (model 25077) and I am happy with my choice.

http://www.cdmgear.com/product.html

If you get a shotgun and use for hunting, I believe that there is a limitation as to how m any rounds you can carry in it and a plug would be necessary, but for HD, range, etc. there should be no limitation.

One thing to remember. You cannot have the parts to make an illegal shotgun. If the extension for your 870 fits your 11-87, you have an assault weapon even if you never put the extension on the 11-87. Ahhh...New Jersey.

This would also include a pistol grip for the 870? This does not make sense. Obviously this excludes firearms dealers, does it not?

Update: Wow, this is hard to believe. So, anyone with a semi-auto shotgun cannot own a magazine extension tube that will fit that shotgun, even if it is on another shotgun?

Magazine Capacity

• A semi automatic firearm may not have a capacity greater than 15 rounds.
  • A semi automatic shotgun may not have a capacity greater than 6 rounds.

You may not ever posses a magazine for a semi automatic firearm that exceeds these limits, not even while modifying them to a legal limit.

The magazine must be modified before it reaches your hands. You may also not have a magazine that exceeds NJ legal capacity in the form of a "kit" or disassembled in pieces.

Id stay with the mossberg, but surefire makes a forend for both that has a flash light built into it and its pressure activated with a small push button on the front. I prefer the mossberg safety location being a lefty.... Both are fine weapons

For pump shotguns, the only restrictions I know about are the 18 inches minimum barrel length and 26 inches minimum overall length. Pistol grips are fine. No maximum on tube capacity as well. My pump is a 10+1 :nyam:

You must have a 26" barrel to get 10+1. Std Remy 870 is 4 + 1. The 18" barrel versions of the Remy 870 are 6+1 with the 2 round magazine extension.

Yes, you can... http://www.gggaz.com/remington-870-forearm-flashlight-mount.html

870FlashlightMount.jpg

You must have a 26" barrel to get 10+1. Std Remy 870 is 4 + 1. The 18" barrel versions of the Remy 870 are 6+1 with the 2 round magazine extension.

Damn. What shotgun on the market has a 10+1 capability? I got to get me one of those.

It is a ford vs chevy kinda thing. I prefer the Mossberg and if you pressed me very hard to tell you why I'd say that I like the loading gate a lot better, and that I like the safety on the tang, and that I like the balance better, but to be honest the differences are not that big. I think if you are looking for a self defense setup with long tubes and sights other then beads the Mossberg might be cheaper too, but that might depend on the sale of the week. Handle both, see which one you like best, because there is no real difference between the two when it comes to reliability or effectiveness or after market support or anything else.

Damn. What shotgun on the market has a 10+1 capability? I got to get me one of those.

Mossberg 835 with a 24in barrel. In orginal configuration, it's a 5+1. You can get a +5 Choate tube extension for it. When installed, it is about as long as the barrel. I can get 10+1 of 2 3/4 shotshells. Not sure how many I can load of 3.5 in.