GiantsFan

"Firearms Price Request" QUESTION?

Who exactly will receive my request for a firearms price? (Sorry if this is postedd somewhere but I looked around and didn't see any explanations.) I'm just wondering before I use this feature, especially since it requires personal information from me.

How many vendors will receive it? Who are they? Are they stores or private FFL holders?

I've used the FPR feature quite a few times, although I've yet to purchase from any of those doing the quoting. Only once, I had an issue that I'd classify as a bit unethical, whereas I was asking about the price of a pistol (I don't recall exactly which one). Within a couple of hours, I received a phone call from a private individual who continued to tell me that person-X from Shop-Y got my quote and knew this guy (the one that called me) who had a used pistol similar to what I was asking about for sale. I really felt that was not the right thing to do and actually caused me to question the dealer's integrity, giving out my personal info like that.

I've used the FPR feature quite a few times, although I've yet to purchase from any of those doing the quoting. Only once, I had an issue that I'd classify as a bit unethical, whereas I was asking about the price of a pistol (I don't recall exactly which one). Within a couple of hours, I received a phone call from a private individual who continued to tell me that person-X from Shop-Y got my quote and knew this guy (the one that called me) who had a used pistol similar to what I was asking about for sale. I really felt that was not the right thing to do and actually caused me to question the dealer's integrity, giving out my personal info like that.

That's exactly why I think I'm going to shop on my own, incognito so to speak. I dislike giving out my personal information (name and phone number) freely to destinations unknown. While the idea in principal is a good one, I somehow doubt it will net you your best price anyway. Certainly it may help with "availability" though. Besides once I find and decide on a seller, I will try to remain loyal for repeat purchases, given a fair price of course.

I somehow doubt it will net you your best price anyway.

While I can see your point about filling out a form on the internet that asks for some personal information, I would argue the "best price" comment. I've used the Firearms Price request feature more than a few times, and each time it has provided me with multiple quotes from NJ vendors, and almost always it will be a better price than an online retailer after you factor in FFL fee's, shipping, tax, etc.

While I can see your point about filling out a form on the internet that asks for some personal information, I would argue the "best price" comment. I've used the Firearms Price request feature more than a few times, and each time it has provided me with multiple quotes from NJ vendors, and almost always it will be a better price than an online retailer after you factor in FFL fee's, shipping, tax, etc.

Well maybe I'll give it "a go" and try it out, using a false phone number of course. Provide the price and availability, and then I'll call you (them.)

Like I said earlier, I'd like to find a place I can trust and frequent for repeat purchases.

HINT: Leave out what "required" information you want to. It is not really required. ;)

Also, if you abuse the system on a repetitive basis and not follow through with a purchase, you will be ignored. :keeporder:

HINT: Leave out what "required" information you want to. It is not really required. ;)

Also, if you abuse the system on a repetitive basis and not follow through with a purchase, you will be ignored. :keeporder:

And since these places / guys are all independent of one another, how would anyone know if or where I purchased? (Say there's 20 vendors on that list, I can only potentially buy from one right? So 19 others will diss me next time??) Anyway, maybe just another good reason to ignore this right from the get go then.

I wonder if I wouldn't be better off listing my "wants" in the WTB marketplace instead. reason being, I am looking for a deal - a real deal on a commitment for four pistols, one a month over four months with deposits for each in advance. If someone were to offer me a good deal on the package then I would be willing to commit with my $$. Anyone think that might work? Of course, the FFL would need to be able to source all four handguns with the last one being a bit hard to find from what I hear, hard but not impossible although I do have an easier to find alternate just in case for number four. Thoughts?

Or maybe I'll suggest the package deal in a request to the "Firearms Price Request" form. I'd like someone to step up with a really good price for all four. I'm expecting my permits in a few short weeks. Like I said earlier, I'd like to give someone all my business - in return of course for a better price, especially when negotiated as a package deal.

The issue I have with the request form is that all of the vendors are so spread out across the state, who's to say that the best deal will be even remotely close to me. For example, I'm in far northern NJ (not even remotely close to anyone's version of central NJ), about 120 miles away from Arms & Ammo. If I used the price request form, it would have to be a huge price savings over the others for me to warrant making the trip, not only because of gas cost, but also 5+ hours of driving. I personally would prefer looking through the vendors list for local shops and contacting them directly, that way you don't have to give them any info you don't want to (even though apparently it's not required) until you're ready to commit.

If you happen to be smack in the middle of the state and most of the shops are equidistant from you (or you wouldn't mind driving to the furthest one), then the price request form is probably the easiest way to shotgun them all, otherwise I'd personally pick a few and go direct. The vendors section here definitely helps people find new shops to try though. If it weren't for a coworker who suggested Hackettstown G&A and this forum showing me Mastodon, I'd still be bent over the counter at Ramsey paying retail and $75 transfers.

The issue I have with the request form is that all of the vendors are so spread out across the state, who's to say that the best deal will be even remotely close to me. For example, I'm in far northern NJ (not even remotely close to anyone's version of central NJ), about 120 miles away from Arms & Ammo. If I used the price request form, it would have to be a huge price savings over the others for me to warrant making the trip, not only because of gas cost, but also 5+ hours of driving. I personally would prefer looking through the vendors list for local shops and contacting them directly, that way you don't have to give them any info you don't want to (even though apparently it's not required) until you're ready to commit.

If you happen to be smack in the middle of the state and most of the shops are equidistant from you (or you wouldn't mind driving to the furthest one), then the price request form is probably the easiest way to shotgun them all, otherwise I'd personally pick a few and go direct. The vendors section here definitely helps people find new shops to try though. If it weren't for a coworker who suggested Hackettstown G&A and this forum showing me Mastodon, I'd still be bent over the counter at Ramsey paying retail and $75 transfers.

Yea I agree and with me buying four guns, that's FOUR trips (or more) to what could be quite a ride somewhere. Speaking of "somewhere" - the vendors need to get a location listed somewhere up front and on top so we don't need to visit each one's website to see where they are located. Either a town or even County would do nicely. Would save us allot of time and effort I feel. With four guns, I think I might throw it out there to see who has the best deal, Then I can decide if it's still "a deal" with all the time and travel involved...

I have used the request feature somewhat. At this point, I knw who I would want to deal with, so I wouldn't need to do it much anymore. I would call the few that I would possibly buy from and go from there.

On a seperate note, I completely see where PK90 is coming from. I am sure there are guys that ask for quotes and waste their time. It would piss me off.

I think its kind of a pain to use, IMO. For example, I will be looking at buying a S&W Model 64 in summer, and I want to see if anyone can compete with J&G's price ($269). I can't use the FPR feature for this. If it was more a more simple "Leave your email and breif description" it would be much better IMHO.

I have used the request feature somewhat. At this point, I knw who I would want to deal with, so I wouldn't need to do it much anymore. I would call the few that I would possibly buy from and go from there.

On a seperate note, I completely see where PK90 is coming from. I am sure there are guys that ask for quotes and waste their time. It would piss me off.

... but with all due respect to you, PK90 and his shop and the other vendors that participate, that's a pretty piss-poor attitude to have as far as I'm concerned. For example, if someone has asked for multiple requests, but continued to purchase elsewhere, what does that tell you? So pretty much from what I've read these last several posts, since I've asked for half-dozen or so price requests and have never purchased from any of the quoting vendors, then all future requests have a good chance of being ignored. That's a pretty professional thing to do, don't you think? Is there a "circle of vendors" that keep tabs on who has requested a quote and purchased from one of the other quoting vendors or is it just a matter of Vendor A saying that "Joe Bloe asked me for 6-quotes in the last 2-months and didn't buy anything, so F*CK him going forward. I won't quote him anymore prices". Is that how it works?

Somewhat related, Paul has always been very helpful and informatiive to me. I've asked him several questions about mags and he really helped me and I know he's the guy I'll go to when the time comes to do what I need done.

All in all, I think that sounds about right. You find a guy who you find convenient to deal with, fair priced etc and for the most part he becomes your source. So yea, it might take you a few "broadcast" attempts to find out who that might be and by the time they start to get tired of you, you probably have settled in to one vendor (or two) anyway. But we also need to remember there are other vendors in our State who choose for whatever rreason not to participate in these forums or become a contributing vendor here. I myself will give the Member Vendors a shot first though. (no pun intended!)

EGAD I thought it was only us...................

Who exactly will receive my request for a firearms price? (Sorry if this is postedd somewhere but I looked around and didn't see any explanations.) I'm just wondering before I use this feature, especially since it requires personal information from me.

How many vendors will receive it? Who are they? Are they stores or private FFL holders?

We will be getting a copy of the request...

I must be missing something here, or I'm reading way too much into some of these posts (most likely the case). But the FPR is a free service... you aren't paying for it, you aren't commiting to anything, and all that's required is basically your name and what you're looking for. It's going to do the leg work for you by broadcasting your needs to the few quality/reputable/fair firearms vendors and FFL's in this state. What's not to love? Why would you not use it as a resource? What could you possibly lose from having the forum vendors quote you directly?

And I agree with Paul - if I sent a request everyday for 2 weeks straight with a different rifle or pistol, eventually I would just ignore me too. Because that is flat out abusing a Free service...

We will be getting a copy of the request...

If you're on that broadcast list you will. (sure why not) and I also can easily agree with Tactical Monkey above. It's free so what's not to love.

If you're on that broadcast list you will. (sure why not) and I also can easily agree with Tactical Monkey above. It's free so what's not to love.

I have the list....will get some info in the am...you'll here from Joe..........I have forwarded it to him :-)

I have the list....will get some info in the am...you'll here from Joe..........I have forwarded it to him :-)

Thanks and no rush. Everyone deserves a shot and not everyone will feel comfortable they can access #4 on the list.

giantsfan i have used the price request and have gotten price that no other shop could touch. im in sales and absolutely understand what the vendors mean by getting alot of requests for pricing for something they have no intention on purchasing. if joe a sends in a request every other day for different firearm yeah im ignoring the request as well. i have never giving my phone and will get response via email or pm. it wont cost you anything why not? and if i can save $300 on a gun its worth me driving 2 hours for it right?

giantsfan i have used the price request and have gotten price that no other shop could touch. im in sales and absolutely understand what the vendors mean by getting alot of requests for pricing for something they have no intention on purchasing. if joe a sends in a request every other day for different firearm yeah im ignoring the request as well. i have never giving my phone and will get response via email or pm. it wont cost you anything why not? and if i can save $300 on a gun its worth me driving 2 hours for it right?

I can't disagree and I have already sent my "buy" list to the forum vendors via the broadcast list. I am confident one of them will earn my business.

Don't be surprised if guy don't answer this week because shot show is going on and a lot of vendors will be in Vegas. Just a suggestion.

Good thought and thanks for that. It's cool though because I am not in any rush. I can easily wait 1-2 weeks before deciding.

The reason that I mentioned about the 'tire kicking multi requestor' (did you notice the smilie that was meant to be a tongue in cheek statement) is that one requestor did a price check for over 30 different firearms that were all over the place. And I know for a fact that he did not purchase from anyone else. How do I know that? Because he eventually did purchase his first from me. All I am saying is don't abuse the request form and turn yourself into the boy who cried wolf.

wowser, I am away from the internet for a few days and this comes up. =)

The vendors on this forum get the price request. Those that are listed as vendors get it. Some will reply, some will not. I can't force anyone to respond, but most will and quite professional with it.

Some C&R stuff, don't be surprised if you do not get a response. With the new price request feature, we went as far as we can to make it as easy as possible for vendors to respond, via email, phone or private message.

Privacy... I don't see how your name and best way to contact you is "private information". If it is private, you should not post on the internet. No one sells your information, this is merely a free service to the community to make it easy to shop for firearms from vendors who support the community. =)