MtechNick

Picked up my first handgun (1911)

Just got my first handgun so I figured I'd share.

I was set on a polymer gun untill I actually held and fired one. Im nothing but a beginner but the cheap light plastic feeling isnt for me. For a first handgun besides suggestions all I had to go by is strictly looks and feel . To be honest the sig 220 elite with rosewood grips made me melt when I held it but it was unavailable at the time and to order was 8 weeks out. But in second was some kind of 1911. In the end it was between a Springfield trp operator, or the Kimber tle rl ii .

Basically deciding factor was the fact I had fired a Kimber before and was impressed , it was $600 cheaper than the SA ( $1000 vs $1600) , and its to my knowledge 100% american made.

22ecd6b6.jpg

Absolutely love it . Shoots way better than I do. 400 rds in two days no issues yet.

009a1d65.jpg

I've never seen night sights in person and was surprised at how bright.

c076424c.jpg

I feel like I made a great decision and Im going to enjoy this gun for many years but holy $&"" 45 ammo sucks to buy. I think a 22lr pistol is next

Look into a .22 conversion. Kimber makes one and they work great. Advantage arms makes one as well that locks back after the last round.

Beautiful gun, btw. Good luck with it.

C

Thanks I was looking at that but I'd rather keep this one firing 45 only and purchase a separate 22lr firing gun. I have an extra permit I might as well use it. I was looking at the umarex Colt 1911 it looks almost identical to my gun and weighs almost exactly the same. With alot of good reviews it seems like a cheap gun to fire that will help on training. It will be that or a ruger.

Very nice! Did you put the night sights on or were they stock?

Thats the meprolight sights that comes standard on most Kimbers

I started with steel guns and love the weight and feel but i def found love for the fantastic plastics this year... personally i would go with the kimber conversion kits and also get a 9.. Its more gun for the permits. The sigs have 22 conversion kits as well so u can get a classic sig 226 in 22 and get kits for 9mm .40 and 357. all with the same frame and 1 permit.

Love the 1911 tho def a great first gun.

Looks like a great shooter! Kimbers are excellent firearms and I love the 1911... Just not a big fan of rails on them.

Great first choice. I also agreed with you about polymer framed guns, but the the Glock Gen 4 came out and now I am a fan of those as well.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Awesome man, I have the exact same 1911 and it was my first 1911 (2nd handgun).

And that's some great shooting for someone who's new to shooting and just got a

1911! It took me a while to get used to 45ACP but once I did the TLE is very accurate.

If you really wanna shoot it eventually you might look into reloading. I started reloading

45ACP just cause I loved shooting this gun so much.

Also I own the Kimber 22lr kit and it's excellent. It's a lot of fun to use. I used the TLE RL

II as my centerfire steel pistol and the kit for RF division.

+1 on everything said, except:

Don't just buy a 9mm for cost of shooting. I did this and it languishes in the safe, lonely. Best way is to reload 45, which is very doable. I got my 1911 last Feb (Springfield loaded SS) and it just turned 4k rounds. I reload for about $7 per box. Def look into this. You also get to pick whether u want to load light for target shooting, or heavier for blasting fun. Just read beforehand and be careful.

Enjoy. 1911's rock!!!

I love 1911s too. That Kimber is pretty. Just so you know, the SA TRP is 100% American made too; that's the FBI Hostage Rescue Team pistol and SA doesn't make those frames in Imbel.

The Kimber does have a significant number of MIM parts and that silly Swartz safety. Not that either of those things are a major issue, but just be aware of it. I'm on a mission to eliminate all the MIM in my Kimber and replace it all with forged parts where possible.

Good luck with it.

I love 1911s too. That Kimber is pretty. Just so you know, the SA TRP is 100% American made too; that's the FBI Hostage Rescue Team pistol and SA doesn't make those frames in Imbel.

The Kimber does have a significant number of MIM parts and that silly Swartz safety. Not that either of those things are a major issue, but just be aware of it. I'm on a mission to eliminate all the MIM in my Kimber and replace it all with forged parts where possible.

Good luck with it.

MIM parts are very tough, new procedures get a bad name from old timers that do not understand the process..

If you are going to fit a new part MIM is less desirable because it is so hard you cannot file it.. it has to be ground and then final polishing done on a stone.

Just throwing that out their, Have been seeing alot of people replacing MIM parts just because they were MIM..

+1 on everything said, except:

Don't just buy a 9mm for cost of shooting. I did this and it languishes in the safe, lonely. Best way is to reload 45, which is very doable. I got my 1911 last Feb (Springfield loaded SS) and it just turned 4k rounds. I reload for about $7 per box. Def look into this. You also get to pick whether u want to load light for target shooting, or heavier for blasting fun. Just read beforehand and be careful.

Enjoy. 1911's rock!!!

Thanks Ive been taking this into serious consideration and have a friend who reloads so he could help me to get started. The reason for looking into another handgun is I have another permit to use and I just can't see wasting my hard earned 2 dollars ;) ..... I just have to figure out what to buy I want them all haha

MIM parts are very tough, new procedures get a bad name from old timers that do not understand the process..

If you are going to fit a new part MIM is less desirable because it is so hard you cannot file it.. it has to be ground and then final polishing done on a stone.

Just throwing that out their, Have been seeing alot of people replacing MIM parts just because they were MIM..

Well, my MIM replacement mission started when I wanted to add a memory bump grip safety and a tactical thumb safety (Ed Brown parts) after I bought my CBOB that had those parts installed. Then I decided to make the Kimber match the CBOB as much as I can, which means replacing all the MIM stuff.

I'm not completely against MIM stuff, but I just wanted him to be aware that all the parts weren't forged or cast.