BlueLineFish

Offroading

Take it from someone who used to do that back in the early to mid 80's, get a second vehicle, don't, I repeat do not used your daily driver. No matter how you say you will take it easy, you won't.

I used to be in CJ 4WD club years ago, and the smartest guy in the whole club have a big Suburban, had power inverters and a bunch of camera equipment and video equipment inside the truck. He used to drive with all of us, maybe get a little of the sides of his tires dirty, and then park it. Pull out the taping equipment and video the rest of us idiots destroy our trucks. I buried mine under water once of a 3 day camp out, endowed it doing hill climbs, no not just roll her over, I mean, looking up the hill, looking up at sky, hey look at that, the earth is upside down, ooohhh boy this is going to leave a mark.

Got a sand-rail in souther Kali and played with that and kept my daily driver just that.

Check with Alec, I think he might have some of his old off-road jeep around.

I do not want to hijack this thread, but I have newbie offroad questions, too.

I used to take my '78 volvo 242GT on the fire trails in Lacey and Waretown as a teen and would like to go out again (without the getting stuck part.)

I am looking for a "snow & tow" vehicle to pull a pop-up camper and maybe take out woodsin' with the kids. I have no plans to go on the beach.

I will probably look for a 10 year old or so Explorer or the like. A good looking '02 Mountaineer caught my eye the other day. Is the Mountaineer's AWD sufficient for Ocean Co. sugar sand, or should I stick with a truck with 4wd Hi and Lo? I assume the Explorer would be capable.

Island Beach State Park

The pines south of 70 off of 539. Pick a trail and explore.

Blue Lake or Sarcos' in Manchester (Heritage Minerals). East of 539 on rte 70. Bring your jet ski

If you get busted any where don't blame me.

Looking to do it leglly

I've been a avid offroader for many years, unfortunetly with my new job it left me little time to go wheeling, so my rig was sold off to fund some other projects.

If your looking for a capable vehicle with tons of aftermarket suppurt and groups look no further than a jeep wrangler ( i prefer 97-06 TJ's )

There isnt much legal in NJ, the pinelands are even sketchy sometimes. If you want to hit the best place on the east coast you gotta hit Rausch Creek offroad park in tremont pa ( www.rc4x4.org )

It's a bit of a drive, but worth the trip. Again, like others have said - do not bring your primary vehicle. Best setup is obviously towing your offroad rig to the trails, but plenty of people drive to the park, wheel all day, and drive home. Build your rig right, and dont take on trails that will obviously break your rig.

5984756139_90bb0c3d7c_b.jpg

5846499812_5d4daa7836_b.jpg

4693875014_e2451706ee_z.jpg

• Like 1

My truck is a ram 2500 hd. 6" lift 35" m/ t tires. I will be using that for the trails

Plenty of room for pickups on their trails... though, go with the expectation of some new ' pin stripping ' on the side of your truck. are you more into rock climbing, or mud pits and the like?

Must have upgrades for your truck

Tires

Winch

Lockers front and rear axles

Upgraded axle shafts

Looking to do it leglly

Island beach. Gotta get a beach buggy permit, but it is a good cruise. No real "wheeling" though.

The pines are good, there used to be a great water hole down by the trestle on 72, I think where the bike park is/was. It may have reverted back since the bike park is closed.

Stay out of Sarcos/blue lake.

Reed Rd in Jackson is legal. Was there all day today. Some tight trails, some not. Some mud, some water, find the right areas and there is even some hillclimbing.

Ill post some pics when I get on the laptop.

Any Jeepers here check out NJJeep.org..

For an off road vehicle, call me biased but I gotta go with a Jeep... I've got an LJ (Unlimited) I'd much rather have a TJ (regular length) as having the longer wheel base has been a disadvantage more then once, and hurt me twice today.

This is from today..

403297_2890062982335_1583054310_2575264_110505352_n.jpg

What a lot of the trails @ Reed Rd to look like

399841_3234397857500_1193302627_3452362_601993280_n.jpg

A while back..

388024_2526672297795_1583054310_2429392_634292090_n.jpg

Fun at work

386499_2079517158799_1571132625_31675477_1581947009_n.jpg

Video from today.. Small hill, nothing challenging

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=2495619921108&saved

• Like 1

I had that one jeep and had a lot of fun in it. But those broncos are great mud truck platforms. Jeeps don't have the weight to pull people out

That's what winches and snatch blocks are for :)

I've pulled out plenty of people... It's all about how ya do it.