autoxnyc

Free Anti Virus Software

A few weeks ago I saw a thread on this but couldn't find it for some reason.

The subscription to AV definition on several of my PCs expired a while back. I don't feel like paying to renew them. What's the best free AV software currently?

thanks!

If you use comcast for your internet, they provide norton suite for free. Otherwise I like AVG.

Wouldn't use Norton if they gave it to me free for life being I don't like the way it causes conflicts and other problems. I think I gave up on them more then 15 years ago.

• Like 3

Depending on your version of windows then also consider Microsoft Live Essentials. I switched from FreeAVG to Live Essentials when AVG went through a period of being slow and cumbersome and have been quite impressed with it.

hth

TheWombat

Wouldn't use Norton if they gave it to me free for life being I don't like the way it causes conflicts and other problems. I think I gave up on them more then 15 years ago.

Norton is a lot better than it was 15 years ago! But I agree that their Norton Utilities could really eff up a computer.

We use the corporate version of Norton Systemworks where I work, and it is pretty darned good at catching malware/viruses.

As far as free AV - I'll vouch for AVG, Avast!, and Avira. Combine any one of them with Malwarebytes and you're good to go for free.

If you really want to get adventurous, go with a free operating system like Ubuntu Linux. Moving away from Windows pretty much insulates you from any viruses and malware because 99% of the stuff only affects PC's running Windows. You don't need an expensive Mac to claim you are immune to most viruses.

Sometimes legit websites get hacked and infect computers too!

Almost all malware is delivered via advertisements. I haven't been infected ever. It doesn't really matter, even if I did, I can fix it. I've cleaned hundreds of infections since they started showing up around 2004. Hell, I bought several guns from money earned fixing infections. Back in the dark ages of the 90s, I saw the occasional Virus, but it exploded around 2004. The number one common denominator was internet exploder. The few that were from other browsers, were delivered via advertisements.

If Malware is the disease, I'm the cure. :vinsent:

I use AVG . It recently caught that nasty "ticket" virus on an email download and automatically quarantined it!

Also use Malwarebytes and have the 'Rkill' utility ready to go just in case.

Malwarebytes is pretty beastly. I know that it was the only thing that stopped this worm they had infecting all of Rowan's computers, and it's saved my desktop quite a few times.

Another good method, if you have two computers, is to google the virus itself, and look for manual deletion instructions. A lot of the viruses out there now will block applications such as Anti-virus software. To help ensure I've totally gotten rid of something, I tend to use my laptop to find out how to remove something from the registry, and then do it myself, and use anti-virus to ensure I've cleaned everything up. RKILL is awesome for getting rid of hidden files that act as a "door opener" to allow viruses to get back on your computer.

One of the best ways to fight a virus is to restart your computer and restart it in safemode. Basically once it turns back on, just keep hitting the F8 key until you get a black screen that allows you to select "start in safemode with networking". Safemode partitions the disks, so the virus can't really operate (usually) and allows you to use programs the virus might normally block, such as the internet.

Oh, and don't use internet explorer as a preventative measure. IE isn't as secure, I've heard chrome is the best browser to use, though I'm particularly fond of Firefox. IE is garbage.

To put it Browser options in a form all gun owners, even the computer illiterate can understand...

koma-comic-strip-stop-shooting-yourself-in-the-face.png

If someone gave me Norton for free, I'd punch them in the face and make them eat the disk. It's that good.

IMO, for free stuff, I'd use Microsoft security essentials, avast free, and AVG in that order of preference.

My reasoning for this is that MSE is actually better at catching stuff than both the other two (slightly), and uses a LOT less system resources. Avast get #2 because it's not as slow as AVG, and has a pretty user friendly interface. AVG gets the bototm of the list because although it is generally ok, in the last couple years they have pushed out updates that have identified critical system components as threats, and hose your system when it cleans them up.