deadeye74

MA Family Suing To have "Under God" removed from Pledge.....

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/13/family-asks-judge-to-order-massachusetts-school-district-to-remove-under-god/

This made me sick to read! Best part is that the family is using the name "Doe" to protect their identity sighting their . In my opinion this is another example of people with a minority opinion trying to rule for the rest of us!!! Their challenge is based on the Mass constitutions's guarantee of "equal protection".

Here's the funny thing.

"Under G-d" was added to the pledge back in the 1950's primarily to make a political statement and differentiate ourselves from the Soviet Union.

How would you like to have to say "under Jesus," "under Bhudda," "under Allah," "under Ganesha," or "under no G-d?"

What's the difference?

As a Jew, I've never minded saying "under G-d." After all, the Christian G-d is the same G-d as my own, but with the luxury package installed instead of the base model. I can certainly see how some people may be somewhat uncomfortable having to ascribe to a pledge that they don't believe in. I think that the appropriate thing to do in this situation is for the child stand, but not say the pledge, similar to what a foreign exchange student may do. Getting the judicial system involved seems somewhat extreme.

• Like 8

http://www.foxnews.c...move-under-god/

This made me sick to read! Best part is that the family is using the name "Doe" to protect their identity sighting their . In my opinion this is another example of people with a minority opinion trying to rule for the rest of us!!! Their challenge is based on the Mass constitutions's guarantee of "equal protection".

What should make you more sick are the disgusting violations of rights that the McCarthy cronies did during the 50's (including perverting a beautiful, pure, all-inclusive patriotic pledge by adding his version of "Amurrricanism.").

"Under God" should be removed. Then, this piece of art would be free of government intrusion.

The U.S. Constitution was DESIGNED to protect the minority from oppression and persecution. It was not designed to give the majority the right to add religious references to national pledges and then require young children and their parents to choose between being indoctrinated with such references or "stand out in the hall" and feel like they're defective and ostricized from the community, because they don't have the right beliefs.

It's a little sad that most people are unable to envision "freedom" from perspectives other than their own.

• Like 9

My issue is that I truly don't believe these parents are concerned for the wellbeing of their children, and solely concerned with attention/money. Go fck with someone else's pledge.

If you have proof to support your "concern," please bring it forward. Otherwise, it's just a conjecture that you are using to attempt to undermine a position, because you cannot otherwise undermine it. There are a lot of great people that believe God and government should be kept separated by a clear, well-definined wall (under Amendment 1), and are willing to stand up and file suit, but fear public ridicule for standing up for what they think is right (hence the "Doe" filing--how are you attention/money mongering by filing a "Doe" lawsuit?!?!?!?!).

Either way, MY pledge was written in 1892 and was last appropriately modified in 1924.

McCarthy and his fear-mongering misfits fcked with it in 1954.

I'm glad these people are trying to un-fck it.

• Like 4

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/13/family-asks-judge-to-order-massachusetts-school-district-to-remove-under-god/

Just as an aside, the Bill of Rights may be the most fundamentally Undemocratic legal douments ever created. It's entire purpose was to prevent the majority from imposing its will on the minority when it comes to certain inalienable rights. It remains the foundation of our Government.

What should make you more sick are the disgusting violations of rights that the McCarthy cronies did during the 50's (including perverting a beautiful, pure, all-inclusive patriotic pledge by adding his version of "Amurrricanism.").

Except that McCarthy was right. There were thousands of communist infiltrators in the US government then. I'm sure it's 10s of thousands now. The Venona papers show just how deep the infection went.

• Like 1

I think it's sad that they have to use "Doe" to protect themselves from rabid people. No doubt they would be terribly harrassed if their name was public, and once some news organization decides to reveal their name that's what will happen.

I was going to mention how the "Under God" part is a recent addition, a knee-jerk response to the Red Menace that gave us other joyful 50's traditions like McCarthyism. I also hate it the way people add a pause in between "One nation under God" like there is a comma or semi-colon there. You often here a number of people pausing there, and a bunch of people not pausing (which is how it is written).

I don't think this is so controversial, and I'm OK either way.

The way I see it is I have the right to say "Under God" in the pledge just as much as these people have a right to object to it. There should not be a law suit filed over this. As said in the earlier posts, just don't say the pledge or that part of the pledge when your in class if that's how you feel.

Except that McCarthy was right. There were thousands of communist infiltrators in the US government then. I'm sure it's 10s of thousands now. The Venona papers show just how deep the infection went.

What has been shown is that not a single true spy, infiltrator or collaborator were ever found out due to McCarthy's bullsh*t style investigations. Instead thousands of honest Americans were harassed, the entire population was set on edge, and Hoover's FBI gained the kind of power that makes the Patriot Act look like kid's play.

Do you also think the Japanese internment of WW2 was right because there were clearly a few hundred spies or sympathizers in the entire community?

The way I see it is I have the right to say "Under God" in the pledge just as much as these people have a right to object to it. There should not be a law suit filed over this. As said in the earlier posts, just don't say the pledge or that part of the pledge when your in class if that's how you feel.

Then you should have no problem with the Pledge being returned to its original phrasing and you can say "under god" when reciting it all day long. Or is it only ok when it's the other way around?

• Like 1

What has been shown is that not a single true spy, infiltrator or collaborator were ever found out due to McCarthy's bullsh*t style investigations. Instead thousands of honest Americans were harassed, the entire population was set on edge, and Hoover's FBI gained the kind of power that makes the Patriot Act look like kid's play.

Do you also think the Japanese internment of WW2 was right because there were clearly a few hundred spies or sympathizers in the entire community?

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean people are not out to get you. I believe McCarthy's theatrics made the hard work of ferreting out Soviet spies and infiltrators much harder. They were there, but McCarthy made it easier for reasonable people to say it was just an exagerration.

I don't believe in god, but personally, I don't care much that the phrase is in there. It doesn't bother me. However, if someone else does care, that is okay, and understandable. This is not the first time people have tried to get it removed. The phrase should have never been added to begin with. If they make the kids say this pledge, then if people don't want the "under god" part, then it should be removed. Otherwise, the entire pledge should either be optional, or not spoken at all.

Just as an aside, the Bill of Rights may be the most fundamentally Undemocratic legal douments ever created. It's entire purpose was to prevent the majority from imposing its will on the minority when it comes to certain inalienable rights. It remains the foundation of our Government.

+ 1 million. There would be no reason to have a written Bill of Rights in the first place if the intent were to only protect popular or majority ideas. The entire point is to protect minorities from the majority, which is the fundamental tenet of freedom and liberty.

The phrase "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb" does not only apply to guns.

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean people are not out to get you. I believe McCarthy's theatrics made the hard work of ferreting out Soviet spies and infiltrators much harder. They were there, but McCarthy made it easier for reasonable people to say it was just an exagerration.

I didn't say they weren't there. My point was exactly that by doing the kind of ridiculous witch hunt that McCarthy, Hoover and other retards like them did, it made it that much harder to truly find the real spies and collaborators. You cry spy/communist at every innocent person and nobody is going to believe you when you find the real ones.

My issue is that I truly don't believe these parents are concerned for the wellbeing of their children, and solely concerned with attention/money. Go fck with someone else's pledge.

I wouldn't miss under god in there. I support freedom of the individual over the notion that we must protect our nation's "christian identity". However, for the most part I dislike these lawsuits as whenever the "victim" is interviewed, it seems they are more interested at beating down the ideas of those with religious beliefs than with freedom or even the welfare of their children. To date, every single one of these strikes me as being more about telling people with religious beliefs that they shouldn't have them or else, and that to me originates form the same place as religious fundamentalism.

I would find it interesting if for once the argument came from the position of individual freedom and equality before the law, but it never seems to.

• Like 1

I wouldn't miss under god in there. I support freedom of the individual over the notion that we must protect our nation's "christian identity". However, for the most part I dislike these lawsuits as whenever the "victim" is interviewed, it seems they are more interested at beating down the ideas of those with religious beliefs than with freedom or even the welfare of their children. To date, every single one of these strikes me as being more about telling people with religious beliefs that they shouldn't have them or else, and that to me originates form the same place as religious fundamentalism.

I would find it interesting if for once the argument came from the position of individual freedom and equality before the law, but it never seems to.

+1

In my opinion this is another example of people with a minority opinion trying to rule for the rest of us!

What about my protection from the Majority? I always omitted it during school simply because I didn't know what else to do.

Think of it in another form... We the "minority" of pro gun rights, are fighting the "majority" of anti-gun folks. Same concept, different subject.

Government has 0 right to infringe on my beliefs. Whether it was ADDING (as stated above) "Under God" to the pledge, or yes... even having it on my money. Telling someone to avoid using $ is obviously impossible, but I do use my ATM/Debit card as much as possible, and that doesn't have it so :maninlove:

I have a better idea, their kids can stand in the hall while the other kids pledge!!

I hope they don’t handle any money after all don’t want to infringe on there religion.

Go fck with someone else's pledge.

How about "Go fugg Yourself!!"

F**** obama lovers!

What an incredible amount of maturity...

I am amazed to see that when it comes to second amendment issues, being gun owners, people are very strong to defend it, and point out all the discrepancies related to it. Yet when the issue is another amendment, but where it effects others and not them, because they are the popular opinion, you get the polar opposite response, and it is handled by telling people to piss off.

It is responses like these why we have gun control and other infringements on our rights in this country. Very disappointing.

• Like 3