BMWR12

62 Gr ammo

I think it would mainly depend on the rifling twist of the barrel and possibly the barrel length.

62gr 223 can be used in ARs chambered for 5.56 and .223.

62gr 5.56 can be used in ARs chambered for 5.56 (such as XM855)

i think 1/9 twist rate and higher would work but someone else may know better.

is there something more specific you can tell us? what model AR do you have. what 62gr ammo are you looking at?

My .223 has a 1/8 twist barrel and shoots Fiocchi 62 grain FMJ great. That is at 100 yards, and if shooting longer distances something in the 68-75 grain is probably better. Prvi Partisan makes some good and relatively inexpensive .223 match in 69 and 75 grain bullet weights.

It works fine in my Bushmaster A3 but won't work in my colt A1 style rifle. Its a NJ legal early SP1 upper and a colt Match target lower.

the A-1 configuration was designed with the 55 gr load in mind only, the M855/SS109 ammo didnt really come into play until the A-2 version was developed. IIRC the A-1 pattern barrels have a much higher twist rate than the "Standard" 1/9 that works with both M-193 and M-855

the A-1 configuration was designed with the 55 gr load in mind only, the M855/SS109 ammo didnt really come into play until the A-2 version was developed. IIRC the A-1 pattern barrels have a much higher twist rate than the "Standard" 1/9 that works with both M-193 and M-855

Your absolutely correct. IIRC the A1 was 1:12 twist..Please correct me if I'm wrong. That was a long time ago.