Underdog

Thoughts on Glock sights and holsters

I know sights and holsters are really personal preference, but I am curious which ones people like and why. Please share your thoughts, especially for the Compact G19 and 23s.

So far, I like the TruGlo TFO (tritium fiber optic) sights (http://www.midwayusa...ber-optic-green), and I like JS Holsters JS Kydex paddle holster: http://armory.jsholsters.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=2059. These holsters are simple and functional and match the Glock all the way.

I have a Glock 22. I've got a Fobus Kydex Paddle holster that I don't really like because it's too stiff and difficult to draw from. I then got a Blackhawk Serpa CQC Sportster paddle holster for it that I like for around the house. As far as sights, I don't have much problem with the standard sights, but I am considering giving the Advantage Tactical Sight a try. The biggest problem I seem to have with standard sights is proper centering of the front post in the notch. Vertical is usually not a problem but I tend to have a little difficulty with horizontal centering.

I'd say depends on what you want to do with he gun. The stock sights were nice for the range and when I shot production in USPSA with my G19, but I now have her for a dedicated HD/SD gun and I put the XS Big-dot sights on her. Get for low light and while I would think any HD/SD situation would be a point and shoot rather than aim and shoot, they are very quick for getting a sight picture.

Now gun games I like a all black rear and fiber optic front sight.

I'd say depends on what you want to do with he gun. The stock sights were nice for the range and when I shot production in USPSA with my G19, but I now have her for a dedicated HD/SD gun and I put the XS Big-dot sights on her. Get for low light and while I would think any HD/SD situation would be a point and shoot rather than aim and shoot, they are very quick for getting a sight picture.

Now gun games I like a all black rear and fiber optic front sight.

Can an owner change these or is a armorer needed?

I've been looking at the TFO's for SD use on my G19. As I get older, I'm having more trouble seeing factory sights. The TFO's really jump out, but there is some concern about reliability with them. I'm still researching.

Have you seen this review of the TFO's?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhZ4GKik5Qo

If you're looking for a combat/SD sight, the Ameriglo Ghost Ring is another option. It lets you aim with both eyes open but I don't think it will be as accurate:

http://www.ameriglo....s/complete-sets

Sights - tried the XS big dot, hated it for anything over 10 yards. Yeah, I know Yeager has the video of him ringing steel with it at "long range" - good for him. I couldn't hit anything with them at beyond room distances.

Currently have truglo TFO's with added bright orange paint on the front sight. I like them a lot except when cleaning - I'm always worried about getting gun cleaning solvent on the fiber optic pieces.

Have a serpa holster for gun games and a minotaur for concealed. May change out the serpa for an alternative, will look at some of the rigs mentioned upthread.

I'm surprised Uncle Mikes is never mentioned. I didn't think munch of them either till I bought

one for my Beretta 92 and Sig P228. They are excellent! Pretty much like the Bladetechs but

at a quarter of the cost. I prefer them over the Serpas cause I personally do not like the button.

I feel it makes the draw more complicated than it has to be, but that's just me.

I'm surprised Uncle Mikes is never mentioned. I didn't think munch of them either till I bought

one for my Beretta 92 and Sig P228. They are excellent! Pretty much like the Bladetechs but

at a quarter of the cost. I prefer them over the Serpas cause I personally do not like the button.

I feel it makes the draw more complicated than it has to be, but that's just me.

do you use a holster with a retention system? if you are using a holster with a thumb controlled retention system I personally find the serpa to be better and faster.. only for the following reason... to draw a gun with a thumb driven retention system you are taking your hand out of shooting position to break the retention.. on a serpa.. your hand stays in complete control of the weapon.. you grasp the grip as you shoot.. ride the release and end up with your trigger finger on the slide.. ready to go.. can't imagine anything faster.. except a non retention holster.. but that is apples to oranges..

do you use a holster with a retention system? if you are using a holster with a thumb controlled retention system I personally find the serpa to be better and faster.. only for the following reason... to draw a gun with a thumb driven retention system you are taking your hand out of shooting position to break the retention.. on a serpa.. your hand stays in complete control of the weapon.. you grasp the grip as you shoot.. ride the release and end up with your trigger finger on the slide.. ready to go.. can't imagine anything faster.. except a non retention holster.. but that is apples to oranges..

I currently have a Serpa for my Glock. All the Uncle Mikes I have are non-retention/no-button so the grip is good when

you draw. I just got a Bladetech for my Glock. Not the expensive model, the Revolution model which to be honest I

really don't see much difference from the more expensive ones they make. Haven't tried it yet though.

Inbound shipment from DVOR. I'll need to find a nylon punch to remove the stock sight and a socket for the front one.

Cool, if you use a metal one or a brass drift put a piece of tape on it and don't try and take her out or put her in with 1 2 or 3 blows, soft and easy.

Cool, if you use a metal one or a brass drift put a piece of tape on it and don't try and take her out or put her in with 1 2 or 3 blows, soft and easy.

I suppose I should use locktite on the front sight. I suppose I'll need to use Loctite® Threadlocker Blue 242®

Yes you want to use it, also degrease the area after you fit it and are ready to do your final fit and lock her in there.

The stock sights came out OK and the new front sight is in but I cannot get the rear sight installed. I guess I will need to find someone with the tool so I can get it centered. It is binding up with one edge of the sight even with the edge of the slide.

Or perhaps I'll try a triangle file.

Edit - The triangle file worked! New night sights, TruGlo TFO's, are now installed. Thanks for the info and support.