JonF

Think this was fired out of battery?

First off, not mine. :) i found this .45 recently in some range pickups, or more specificially, my resizing die found it and stopped the press dead in its tracks--there was no way it was going to iron out that lump! Thats a pretty damn nice pot belly its got going on, even more impressive that it didn't rupture. This isn't your standard Glocked brass, is it? I'm guessing its gotta be an OOB, no? Whoever touched this one off better count thier lucky stars they still have functional fingers ans/or gun.

IMG_20120228_143439.jpg

First off, not mine. :) i found this .45 recently in some range pickups, or more specificially, my resizing die found it and stopped the press dead in its tracks--there was no way it was going to iron out that lump! Thats a pretty damn nice pot belly its got going on, even more impressive that it didn't rupture. This isn't your standard Glocked brass, is it? I'm guessing its gotta be an OOB, no? Whoever touched this one off better count thier lucky stars they still have functional fingers ans/or gun. IMG_20120228_143439.jpg

VERY IMPORTANT!!! Need to see the case head and the primer. Please hurry!!

If so, that's a helluva of of "unsupported" area! The point to which the bulge tapers back seem like it could be the lateral terminus of the feed ramp of whatever barrel this was fired from. If so, im thinking it was sitting out of battery the distance form that point to where the shoulder of the body starts.

If so, that's a helluva of of "unsupported" area! The point to which the bulge tapers back seem like it could be the lateral terminus of the feed ramp of whatever barrel this was fired from. If so, im thinking it was sitting out of battery the distance form that point to where the shoulder of the body starts.

If someone loaded it long I suppose it would not go all the way into battery. I have seen a few cases like that. It is remington nickel? or is that brass?

If someone loaded it long I suppose it would not go all the way into battery. I have seen a few cases like that. It is remington nickel? or is that brass?

Maks - If it was loaded long one of two things would prevented it from firing depending on the pistol. Of course I'm referring to an in spec pistol. #1 the dsiconnector would prevent it from firing or #2 the firing pin block would prevent firing. Most out of battery firings are a combination of issues.

I wanted to see the primer because it would have been easily identified as a GLOCK or not. I have heard that ( and it's a big secret) current production GLOCKs have more support in the chamber.

Based on the amount of info any conclusion is speculation.

Maks - If it was loaded long one of two things would prevented it from firing depending on the pistol. Of course I'm referring to an in spec pistol. #1 the dsiconnector would prevent it from firing or #2 the firing pin block would prevent firing. Most out of battery firings are a combination of issues.

I wanted to see the primer because it would have been easily identified as a GLOCK or not. I have heard that ( and it's a big secret) current production GLOCKs have more support in the chamber.

Based on the amount of info any conclusion is speculation.

thanks for the explanation Frank. I just have a basic undestanding of guns.... all I know is how to make them go bang. =P

im thinking it was out of alignment in your press a bit and got the squeeze :)

I don't think so. I found a couple cases with the same "smile" on the base of the case while checking my brass before loading it. I guessed it was an unsupported chamber and a hot load.