AverageJoe

My Good Deed For The Day - For All Those Buying A Gun Safe In NJ

So I took a ride to BJ's to check out a shed...which turned out to not be what I was looking for...so...anywho, I'm walkin around and notice a gun safe with a sold sign and stated customer will be back tonight to pick up. With it there was also a copy of the receipt. Took a quick look and noticed they charged them tax. Being gun safes are tax exempt in NJ, I felt compelled to say something. Had a little chat with the manager, asked why they were charged for tax on the gun safe she looked at me like I had 3 heads and said what do you mean, its sales tax. I continued to mention that gun safes were tax exempt in NJ and her eyes lit up like huh, are you serious, since when? I said remember Gov Whitman? Since then lol...she was oh wow thank you for saying something yadda yadda yadda...so now I wonder how many they sold and have charged tax and got away with it????? So remember to make sure you're not being charged tax when buying a gun safe in NJ.

• Like 6

Well I took an autistic young man to the range today. How's that one! Let's talk about hovering and being vigilant!

But I think I had as good a time as he did.

You have a good time when you wake up and breathe in the morning

• Like 4

I would've taken the receipt to the front desk and asked for assisstance picking up my purchase,j/k lol. Maybe that's just the poor kid inside me talking.

• Like 1

Well Joe, Frank and Matt all get +1's in this thread.. Nice Job all of you, John I can give you one, even though many of us might have the same thought for a very brief moment.. :icon_mrgreen:

Haha, everyone thought it even for a split second. If you can give me one, why not do it? Everyones got one except me, :'-( lol

Off-topic Harry, I think I've seen you post that you've taken some mc trips to Texas? I'm planning a trip, and got some questions if I'm thinking of the right person, please let me know!.!

So I took a ride to BJ's to check out a shed...which turned out to not be what I was looking for...so...anywho, I'm walkin around and notice a gun safe with a sold sign and stated customer will be back tonight to pick up. With it there was also a copy of the receipt. Took a quick look and noticed they charged them tax. Being gun safes are tax exempt in NJ, I felt compelled to say something. Had a little chat with the manager, asked why they were charged for tax on the gun safe she looked at me like I had 3 heads and said what do you mean, its sales tax. I continued to mention that gun safes were tax exempt in NJ and her eyes lit up like huh, are you serious, since when? I said remember Gov Whitman? Since then lol...she was oh wow thank you for saying something yadda yadda yadda...so now I wonder how many they sold and have charged tax and got away with it????? So remember to make sure you're not being charged tax when buying a gun safe in NJ.

Interesting. I purchased the smaller sized gun safe from BJ's several months ago. I'll have to find the receipt to see if tax was charged. Do you have a link to a document or something I can talk in there if I was charged?

It appeares a lot of people are unaware of this...possible sticky if there already isn't one?

Interesting. I purchased the smaller sized gun safe from BJ's several months ago. I'll have to find the receipt to see if tax was charged. Do you have a link to a document or something I can talk in there if I was charged?

A2421 "The Secure Firearms Storage Act"

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/9899/Bills/pl99/254_.htm

http://www.njleg.sta...500/2421_f1.pdf

FISCAL NOTE

ASSEMBLY, No. 2421

STATE OF NEW JERSEY

208th LEGISLATURE

DATED: MAY 3, 1999

BILL SUMMARY

Assembly Bill No. 2421 of 1998 allows an exemption from the

sales and use tax for sales of firearm vaults providing secure and safe

storage for firearms.

AGENCY COMMENTS

The Department of Treasury estimates that this bill would cost the

State approximately $500,000 in reduced State sales tax revenue

during the remainder of fiscal year 1999 and approximately $1,500,000

each year thereafter. The New Jersey State Police report

approximately 70,000 over-the-counter purchases of firearms and

30,000 casual sales of guns in the State each year. Treasury's estimate

assumes that each of the estimated total of 100,000 firearms sales is

accompanied by the sale of a gun vault, at an average price of $250

per vault. The resulting estimate of $25,000,000 in annual gun vault

sales in New Jersey results in an estimated tax loss of $1,500,000 due

to the sales tax exemption under this bill.

OFFICE OF LEGISLATIVE SERVICES COMMENTS

The Office of Legislative Services (OLS) believes the annual sales

tax revenue losses due to this bill will be significantly less than the

losses estimated by the Treasury. While the OLS accepts the

Treasury's estimate of 100,000 annual firearms sales in the State, it is

unlikely that each of those sales will be accompanied by the sale of a

gun vault. The bill does not require the purchase of a gun vault, but

rather the bill provides a six percent sales price incentive. This

incentive should induce increased annual gun vault sales, but the OLS

believes the number of gun vault sales will be significantly less than the

estimated 100,000 annual firearms sales. In addition, many firearms

are purchased by people who may already own a gun vault, such as

hobbyists and collectors. Since gun vaults are capable of holding more

than one weapon, it is likely that the annual number of gun vault sales

A2421

will be significantly less than the annual number of firearm sales.

The OLS cannot make a precise fiscal estimate of the impact of

this bill because figures on the number of firearm vaults sold in the

State before or after an exemption from the sales and use tax are not

available. However, the OLS notes that every 1,000 firearm vaults

sold could cost the State approximately $15,000 in forgone sales tax

revenue, based on Treasury's estimated average cost of $250 per vault.

This fiscal note has been prepared pursuant to P.L.1980, c.67.

Just got home from the Deptford BJ's with my $28 cash. The initial girl at the counter didn't know what to do. She went and got her manager. I showed her the paperwork and explained to her what happened and she told the girl to refund the tax. Not only that, she instructed the girl to inventory what safes they had in stock and change them in the system, so NJ sales tax does not get charged. She wanted to take copies of the documents, but I told her just to keep them. She was grateful and that was it. I walked in there expecting the worse and left feeling pretty damn good. Thanks to the OP for evening mentioning this and no, I can't give you a percentage :).

Just got home from the Deptford BJ's with my $28 cash. The initial girl at the counter didn't know what to do. She went and got her manager. I showed her the paperwork and explained to her what happened and she told the girl to refund the tax. Not only that, she instructed the girl to inventory what safes they had in stock and change them in the system, so NJ sales tax does not get charged. She wanted to take copies of the documents, but I told her just to keep them. She was grateful and that was it. I walked in there expecting the worse and left feeling pretty damn good. Thanks to the OP for evening mentioning this and no, I can't give you a percentage :).

Nice dude, glad it worked out...now hopefuly that manager will talk to their home office and get looked at for all their NJ stores.

Nice job.

Haha, everyone thought it even for a split second. If you can give me one, why not do it? Everyones got one except me, :'-( lol

Off-topic Harry, I think I've seen you post that you've taken some mc trips to Texas? I'm planning a trip, and got some questions if I'm thinking of the right person, please let me know!.!

Done them all over the country over the years, what's ya want to know??