Philevon

Best 22 revolver???

Smith or Ruger. Take your pick of frame size and DA or SA. NAA is more of a novelty item.

That would largely depend on what you are going to do with it and your budget. I would look into the following and generally prefer double action/single action to single action only.

S&W 617 will probably be the nicest quality and have the best trigger... you cannot go wrong, but you are going to pay for it

Ruger SP101 ... nice little kit gun and probably the most durable of the bunch... might need a grip change for a fuller grip

Taurus 992 double action with .22LR and .22WMR cylinder sets... versatile and fun... 990 does not have magnum cylinder.

or the new S&W version of the kit gun... don't know the name or model and have no experience with it, but it's probably pricey, but sweet

That being said... there are a lot of single actions such as the Ruger Single Six that would also be nice. And, for the money, the Charter Arms Pathfinder would probably be OK.

For toughness and durability and versatility, I would go with the SP101 unless you want a snubby or a longer-barrelled range gun.

...or the new S&W version of the kit gun... don't know the name or model and have no experience with it, but it's probably pricey, but sweet

??????????? The S&W kit gun traces its heritage back to 1911 when the initial shipment of Bekeart .22's was made. They were built on the I-frame, which became the J-frame. Currently they are the model 34 in the blued version and the model 63 in the stainless. I have a pre-model 34 dating from the 1950's.

Is there something new?

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Not new, but when I hear S&W "kit gun" I think model 317.

http://www.smith-wes...playErrorView_Y

That's a K-frame. Kit guns have always been built on the small frame (I or J) so they fit in your "kit".

Are we looking at the same gun? The 317 "kit gun" is listed as a small frame/J frame...

I stand corrected. I was going by S&W's normal numbering pattern and this is the only example that I (now) know of where it goes outside the normal model numbering scheme. The model 17 is a .22 built on a K-frame. The prefix number 6 indicates stainless, thus a 617 is a stainless K-frame .22. The 3 prefix usually indicates a lightweight variation, so I was thinking that a 317 was a lightweight K-frame .22.

Things started to get muddled when they went to 3-digit model numbering schemes. There may be other examples of this cross-frame model numbering, but since I was unaware of this one, it stands to reason that I'm unaware of any others.

The 317 would indeed be considered a lightweight variant of the kit gun. The blued lightweight was called the model 43. There is no model 643. Why the 317 is an exception to their model numbering scheme is anybody's guess.

Even with that, the 317 is 15 years old having been introduced in 1997. Thanks for the correction.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I saw it in one of the magazines. Perhaps this is what was being talked about, but this has been out for some time...

http://www.gunblast.com/SW-63.htm

The one that works best for you and fits the purpose you want one for and you can be Happy with. Try them all, many members here have 22LR wheelies, ask around and see who might let you try their gun out. I have a Taurus 94 and if your ever down in the OBRPC area, you're more than welcome to try mine out.

I have a 617, 6" barrel, It is a joke to shoot, almost wonder if you pulled the trigger. Same exact gun as a 686, but with a very tiny hole for the itty-bitty bullet. ;)

Mine is a 10-shot.

Not quite. 686 = L-frame / 617 = K-frame

I have a Model 19 to compare the 617 to, I think that one is a k-frame.

That's correct, except the 617 would have a full underlug and the 19 just an ejector rod shroud - so the 617 may be heavier.

I've been sniping from the sidelines throughout this thread but haven't really put in my $.02 worth on what I would like in a .22 revolver. I would absolutely love to have a Colt 4" Diamondback in .22. That being said, they're out there, I just don't want to pay today's going rate should I actually stumble across one.

Another nice, but somewhat rare .22 is a Dan Wesson. It will be interesting to see how much of the DW revolver line CZ decides to bring back.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

One of the market conditions that drives pricing on guns, is ammo cost. As centerfire ammo prices increase, people gravitate to rimfires causing a demand and subsequent price rise in the cost of rimfire arms. I think that is partially what we are seeing now.

One of the market conditions that drives pricing on guns, is ammo cost. As centerfire ammo prices increase, people gravitate to rimfires causing a demand and subsequent price rise in the cost of rimfire arms. I think that is partially what we are seeing now.

Very true, but I think it's more of a matter of S&W being overpriced compare to other offerings out there now. It's no longer the 70's and 80's where selection was limited. S&W doesn't seem to realize that, however there are still the S&W followers that allow thier prices to be what they are. I compare the S&W label to the Harley Davidson label. Just about every other offering will be a better value, however it doesn't have the big brand name.

Very true, but I think it's more of a matter of S&W being overpriced compare to other offerings out there now. It's no longer the 70's and 80's where selection was limited. S&W doesn't seem to realize that, however there are still the S&W followers that allow thier prices to be what they are. I compare the S&W label to the Harley Davidson label. Just about every other offering will be a better value, however it doesn't have the big brand name.

Ahhh, Grasshopper. So much to learn, so little time. :assassin:

• Like 1

Ahhh, Grasshopper. So much to learn, so little time. :assassin:

Educate me. I've never been against learning and will always admit if I'm wrong. I also have the ability to change my opinion if someone presents a case that makes better sense than what I believe.