OK, I'm looking for some good hard facts here...

First of all, I am a noob and currently waiting on my FID and P2P's. I was contacted 2 weeks ago by the police, had the interview, they called my workplace the same day and I was told by the detective that everything is good and I'll have them in less than a month... Awesome!

So, I got research to do, right? I started going to every gun retailer in my area, held many different guns, asked alot questions and was even told by one store/range that while I'm waiting for my FID and P2P's, I should come take an intriduction to firearms class and shoot some different types of guns there to help in my purchase decision making. In all, I went to 6 different stores, never a problem. So I decided to go to a new store today and they actually had 3 guns that I'm most interested in (the others did not). When I asked to see them, they asked for my FID card, I explained that I was still waiting for it. They said that it is illegal in NJ for them to show me any firearm without an FID! Is this true? Is everyone else breaking the law by letting me touch and hold the guns without an FID? I was quite pissed off, and thought they were idiots, but then logic set in and I decided that I would hold my judement until I could get the truth...

So let the debate begin... Is it illegal? I could not find anyting in the laws that I researched so far, including N.J.A.C. 13:54-6.5

Totally false. Don't even bother going back

None of the 5+ stores I buy guns from in NJ will allow you to touch a gun without seeing your FID. It may not be the law, but it's common practice and some of our better stores use that guideline...

What store was it. I know its some store policies not to let anyone handle a firearm unless they can prove to have a FID and DL with matching address up front.

I'm not going to name the store because they are members here and they can do what they want for all I care, whether its true or not. The good news is that after this bad experience, I immediately came home, called Paul for first time, went right to his store and had the best experience ever. He's now got all of my future business as a result. All things happen for a reason I guess...

In 1992 I was shopping for a Glock and they told me I couldn't touch it unless I handed them a pistol purchase permit thingy. I gave it to them, they gave me the Glock, I felt the trigger squeeze, vomited, and left with no handgun.

I still have that pistol purchase thingy from 20 years ago, incomplete.

• Like 1

It is not a law to have a FPID to look at a gun, it may be a stores policy but the few stores I have done business with have never asked to see a FPID first to look. I dont see the harm in letting someone look at a gun at the counter regardless of their ID/permits,when they will rent out a gun and give you bullets with just a drivers license.

Echoing the others here, it's not uncommon for a gun store to ask for an FID before they allow a potential customer to handle a weapon. It's just a temporary inconvenience until you get your FID car. Unless the store owner was rude and/or unprofessional, I wouldn't suggest that "never go back" after you get your card because that same place may be able to get you what you want for a good price.

Seems to be alot reference here to policy, not law. They specifically stated that is was against the law in NJ and wanted to know what stores allowed me to handle the guns without an FID, and then said that they are breaking the law. As far as using the FID to establish credibility? Sure, but how about being honest and stating that it is store "policy" and not "the law" in order to establish credibility with the customer...

Seems to be alot reference here to policy, not law. They specifically stated that is was against the law in NJ and wanted to know what stores allowed me to handle the guns without an FID, and then said that they are breaking the law. As far as using the FID the establish credibility? Sure, but how about being honest and stating that it is store "policy" and not "the law" to establish credibility with the customer...

Speaking of which, concerning the encounter I described from back in 1992, they also told me it was against the law.

That was a long time ago. Some things never change. Except that NJ gun laws march on and get worse.

I had an even worse situation. I was told I could not handle a HD without a valid P2P. I was like, are you kidding me, I even showed them my valid FID and told them they had no clue what the F they were talking about. This is a sporting goods store in Flemington NJ, off Rt. 31. Pissed me off to no end,

i had the same experiences in nj while waiting for my fid...all said "its the law".....some stores i went to..acted as though i was invisible (standing at the usual glass case empty store with employees walking back and forth behind the case trying to look busy) and when i said "excuse me do you have a minute..im interested in ...." they cut me off and snapped "do you have a pistol permit" when i said "no...but in the final steps and pd said should be in my hand by the end of the week"..i got a rude "well come back then" and resumed windexing the counter...one of the couple places ill never set foot in again....it almost seemd to me that if you havent bought a gun there before...or you dont have a pp in hand they know they cant sell it to you and dont want to bother "wasting their time" ..poor customer service theory to me...being they had a decent inventory...but of the 6 pp's and various long gun purchases since..theyve not seen any of my money for so much as a box of ammo in a jam...lol

Seems to be alot reference here to policy, not law. They specifically stated that is was against the law in NJ and wanted to know what stores allowed me to handle the guns without an FID, and then said that they are breaking the law. As far as using the FID to establish credibility? Sure, but how about being honest and stating that it is store "policy" and not "the law" in order to establish credibility with the customer...

I couldn't say if it's a law or possibly an Administrative Code rule, but I've been told over the years by various stores that your FID must be on the counter while they are showing you firearms. I don't think it's just a store policy, because it seems to be a wide spread practice........ could even just be the NJSP auditors telling the dealers to do it. :unknw:

If I'm in a store I'm familiar with they never ask. If I'm in a store for the first time I generally just put my FID on the counter and ask to see the firearm.

I don't know if the NJSP said some thing to dealers but it seems to be a way to cull the tire kickers.

So let the debate begin... Is it illegal?

No law, but lots of places started to get antsy about handing weapons over and started having their personnel armed after the murder of the kid who worked at the Garfield Target Range in the mid-70's.

No law, but lots of places started to get antsy about handing weapons over and started having their personnel armed after the murder of the kid who worked at the Garfield Target Range in the mid-70's.

Which would be illegal I believe.

• Like 1

My interpretations...

Without the store knowing you , they do not know if you are a prohibited person or now. FID+DL is one way to check in order to lessen the risk that you aren't a prior felon. If you were, the store could get in big trouble for letting you handle a gun as it is illegal to temporarily xfer a gun to a prohibited person. It is for their own protection. They mostly will no longer ask you after they saw you a few times. Also , if it is a long gun, and you have your FID, you can legally posess it outside of temporary location exemptions.

d.An owner or dealer shall not transfer a firearm to any person pursuant to the provisions of this section if the owner or dealer knows the person does not meet the qualifications set forth in subsection c. of N.J.S.2C:58-3 for obtaining or holding a firearms purchaser identification card or a handgun purchase permit. A person shall not receive, possess, carry or use a firearm pursuant to the provisions of this section if the person knows he does not meet the qualifications set forth in subsection c. of N.J.S.2C:58-3 for obtaining or holding a firearms purchaser identification card or a handgun purchase permit.

As for handguns, unless the store has a range, I believe it is technically illegal to hand over a handgun unless the person looking has a pistol purchase permit in hand.

The statutes are pretty clear outside of the temporary xfer exemptions (range, etc), that the person giving or receiving a handgun has to be either a dealer or purchase permit holder.

2C:58-3. a. Permit to purchase a handgun. No person shall sell, give, transfer, assign or otherwise dispose of, nor receive, purchase, or otherwise acquire a handgun unless the purchaser, assignee, donee, receiver or holder is licensed as a dealer under this chapter or has first secured a permit to purchase a handgun as provided by this section.

But you are at an exempted location..

Technically only if the dealer also has a range.

1. a. Notwithstanding the provisions of N.J.S.2C:39-9, N.J.S.2C:58-2, N.J.S.2C:58-3 or any other statute to the contrary concerning the transfer or disposition of firearms, the legal owner, or a dealer licensed under N.J.S.2C:58-2, may temporarily transfer a handgun, rifleor shotgun to another person who is 18 years of age or older, whether or not the person receiving the firearm holds a firearms purchaser identification card or a permit to carry a handgun. The person to whom a handgun, rifle or shotgun is temporarily transferred by the legal owner of the firearm or a licensed dealer may receive, possess, carry and use that handgun, rifle or shotgun, if the transfer is made upon a firing range operated by a licensed dealer, by a law enforcement agency, a legally recognized military organization or a rifle or pistol club which has filed a copy of its charter with the superintendent and annually submits to the superintendent a list of its members and if the firearm is received, possessed, carried and used for the sole purpose of target practice, trap or skeet shooting, or competition upon that firing range or instruction and training at any location.

We've been down this route before, this is just my belief. Others feel that a dealer giving a gun to someone to see does not constitute a "temporary transfer". They could be right also.

I can go down to a car dealership and sit in a car, they don't ask for a driver's license. No one would consider that they transferred the car to me because I sat in it.

The law says that you can't temporary transfer to someone that you believe would be denied for a FID should they apply for one. If the gun store doesn't know me, they have to assume I'm good to go. There is no reason to have to assume the worst about me.