peppers

hi all

I have lived in nj all my life. I'm not new to shooting but I am to buying my own stuff. I'm from sayreville and after years of long heated debates finally got the wife to break down and let me start a collection. First off is where are some good places to buy guns and etc from, second is where are some good places to shoot preferably cheap or free. I'm interested in picking up a umerex hk 416 .22lr for starters since ammo is cheaper and my daughter can learn on it. Is this even a legal gun in nj? Thanks

Welcome!

There are several good places in NJ to purchase guns. This forum has an entire section of sponsors, including gun dealers. You can also purchase online at places like Budsgunshop.com, Grabagun.com or Gunbroker.com (auction site, think eBay for big boys and girls).

I can't really address places to shoot as I am unfamiliar with the Sayreville area. I shoot at Ft. Dix Range 14 and for regular civilians it's only $60/year +$3 per hour, but that would be a hike for you to get to (although it's at least an hour drive for me, too, but I pay even less being retired military.)

Not 100% sure about the Umarex, but as long as magazines are 15 rounders or less, stock doesn't fold/collapse and it does not have a flash hider it should be okay. You can ask any of the dealers here to be sure. The first person who welcomed you, PK90, is a vendor and has a great rep among forum members. I'd start there. There are a lot of AR-style .22lrs available that are NJ legal if the Umarex is not, so look around and if you can find a range near you that rents any, try them out.

Again, hello and enjoy the forums!

Welcome to the Forum from Sayreville also.

As far as locations to buy, check out the price quote section here, it will hit all the forum vendors and all of them I have dealt with have been great.

As far as free places to shoot, well your in the PR of NJ, not too many unless you have friends or family that have property you can shoot at, and remember only long guns would be good for that location unless they were a registered range.

Now as far as what's in our area, click on the OBPRC in my signature. It's the club I belong to, it's just over 1 but under 15 minutes from my house to both the outdoor range and 24/7 indoor range. Problem with other public ranges it time it take to get to them and the amount of actual shooting you will do, in the end while the initial cost of the club is a little bit of coin, in the long run it works out to be a lot cheaper. That and you will find yourself not only shooting more, but the club does have many different disciplines that I had no idea about a year ago, and now I'm working my vacation schedule around the events I shoot in.