RedRiverII

Need a recommendation for a shotgun or two.

I've owned several over the years and got rid of them. I remember shooting semi's but I think they would jam frequently. It's been twenty years and I hope they came up with better systems. I have no aversion to pumps. I want to attend MDTS training some time soon. I'm 59 so I want to go make some noise and blast for a while, before I end up waiting to become excited by hearing " Its tapioca time." in the nursing home.

Bennelli has me interested, m4 H2O looks sweet, but I don't know about semiauto and pistol grips. M2 looks like it can be fun from scratch and built upon. I'd like to get one shorty in 12g and something longer for games. My 60th birthday is coming and she's trying to get me to settle for a Breitling watch for 3500.00 At this point I don't care what time it is I'd rather go out blasting.

So if you had a choice of any shotgun you wanted, within reason, no 15,000 dollar Krieghoff's, what would you get? By the way, I'm sure Krieghoff is a piece of Art, but not what I'm looking for.

Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Alex

PS, I'm not sick I just got old, and.........

Saiga-12, not too much $$$, I paid $550 for mine new, magazines are cheap, so buy a lot! I think I currently have 12 for it. Once I broke it in, 10 rounds of #00 buckshot, it has been flawless. If you leave NJ, it can be a really fun gun!

I had 2 wilsons over the years, I have Mossie semi-auto. works great and not over 600. wilsons are over priced. JMHO. 1500 for a pump heavy shotty!!

Red, I am in the same boat, 57 almost 58. Been to the pump,coach,S by S, O/U route. look for the mossie semi or 1100 and 1187. Load and drop the bolt and good to go!!!.

Remington 1100 or 11-87. Love my 11-87.

Also - the "jamming" may be because of the loads you're using. If you're using light target loads, most semi-auto shotguns don't like to cycle with them. Try finding higher dram shotshells. I have some Estate "hunting" shotshells that are 3 1/4 dram which cycle just fine.

The lighter 2 3/4 dram shells are the ones you'll see issues with. If you don't know how to calculate, just look at the amount of shot and the muzzle velocity.

Generally over 1200FPS with 1 1/8oz shot is 3 Dram - that'll cycle fine.

The 2 3/4 chambered 1100 has no problems with lighter ammo. It is the 3" chambered guns that will have the problem. Remington had to design a gun that wouldn't batter itself to pieces with three inch shells, so the gun is a bit undergassed for 2 3/4" target loads. Some of the nicer shotguns like the FN SLP actually have swappable pistons designed for different loads.