When all I had was a combination safe I'd preload the first two numbers, then turn it until it was several ticks away from the final digit. I did this every night before going to bed, just in case the tumblers got jostled at some point during the day.

Might be a good idea to keep a 'red-light' flashlight on top of safe. It gives you light to see the dial, but won't screw up your night vision.

This has absolutely nothing to do with an us vs them mentality. If I am on scene I want to deal with the immediate threat only. I don't know who this other guy is. If he leaves that takes another variable out of the equation. Also him being there at that moment distracts me fom the main threat therefore compromising my safety. I don't need a million candlepower spotlight on the perp either, just enough to ascertain any threats on the person or in the immediate vicinity. In this situation once the officer arrives go inside and keep an eye on the situation. If the officer needs you he will come and speak to you. If the situation goes real bad get back on the phone with 911 or if the officer needs help at that point you may help if you feel the need to. I commend you for trying to help a neighbor. If more people helped each other the world would be a better place.

I am really getting sick of the us vs them. It seems that this is the first response to anything associated with cops. It's a matter of safety. Everybody is a threat until the situation is over.

See my other post about how I think he should've handled it. I'm not trained in police work, but this guy walked right up to this unknown potentially armed individual. I can't stand the us/them crap either. I can understand a police officers apprehension when entering a situation and that they are probally amped up when they get there, but I've witnessed this towns police treat non threatening helpful citizens very disrespectfully. I treat every police officer with respect and professionalism, always have, always will. Let me know what you think about the other post where I sorta break down the police officers approach.

Glad this turned-out O-K. That is, except for Mr. Bill, lol!

Me being me, I would have handled it slightly differently. The net result would be that the Cop approaching the Perp would have already had a description phoned into Dispatch of who was who. Otherwise, nice job!

Too bad this is still Jersey! In some parts of the countryside, the Evil Girlfriend would have been met at the door by the Wife with a gun and they'd have tea at 2:40 in the morning, lol!

THEY BASICALLY DID! Funny you said that. See my reply to one of the other members.

Bill is a turd just waiting to be flushed.......

Good job. I think you learned a few things about preparedness for an event in which you feel you need access to your gun. A single HG in a tactile touch activated lockbox (like a gunvault) in the bedroom is much more valuable than a collection locked up in the basement. ;)

Advice noted

A bird in the hand is worth two in a bush!

I wonder what Bills thought on this would be?

Yeah good deal and all that, so what happened to 'Bill' :lol: ? What'd this chick look like? It didn't make the JPD reports yet

Haha, I was wondering when that was gonna be asked! What this chick look like? She looked GREAT! Not one # 8 shot to be found blemishing her wackadoodle skull! Sadly, I did want to check her out to try and understand Bill's compulsion. She was no Megan Fox, but she wasn't Rosie either.

What's JPD?

Frank, I packed up my brand new 84 Bronco when I graduated with all I needed, headed west to Phoenix, was staying at a resort looking for a job and meet a group of people at meetings in the Jacuzzi one night and was offered a gig in southern Kali.

Now tell me what 18 year old kid on there own wouldn't want to move to Southern Kali back when Sex was Safe and Bikes Were Dangerous???

Forward me the address of that Hot Tub. Sounds like a place for Bill.

When all I had was a combination safe I'd preload the first two numbers, then turn it until it was several ticks away from the final digit. I did this every night before going to bed, just in case the tumblers got jostled at some point during the day.

Thats what I usually do, but guess what? yup, missed setting the number or thought i set the number.

Silent Service -- appreciate your willingness to be analyzed, which helps us all.

I am just curious -- when you saw that it was a woman, did you feel a little bit relieved, or did it make you even more cautious about there being an accomplice? Or maybe it happened so fast that it wasn't a factor?

If you have your gun loaded you have a better chance of not becoming a hostage is how I see it.. An empty gun doesn't do you any good...

Right, I keep a gun loaded when it's within my control... but when it's in the same, I leave them unloaded for safety purposes. However, I may rig up a holster in my safe to hold a loaded hand-gun... maybe use an old SERPA bolted to the wall of the safe...

Right, I keep a gun loaded when it's within my control... but when it's in the same, I leave them unloaded for safety purposes. However, I may rig up a holster in my safe to hold a loaded hand-gun... maybe use an old SERPA bolted to the wall of the safe...

Treat 'em as if they're always loaded and you're fine :)

my understanding is you had a shotgun.. and a hand held light...

get a light mounted on your primary HD weapon... (unless I am misreading this) because holding a light under the recoil of a shotgun.. and working a pump.. under pressure.. will likely be a big pile of fail..

you didn't do anything I wouldn't have done.. except keeping your gun unloaded..

Silent Service -- appreciate your willingness to be analyzed, which helps us all.

I am just curious -- when you saw that it was a woman, did you feel a little bit relieved, or did it make you even more cautious about there being an accomplice? Or maybe it happened so fast that it wasn't a factor?

Dr. Freud said the Irish are the only group that can not be psychoanalyzed. I'm irish so be careful. lol.

My guard dropped for a split second when I saw that it was a female and she said she was Bills girlfriend, but I quickly thought that could be a ploy and my guard went back up. I was thinking she could be using that as a distraction and there could be an accomplice.

Haha thats great. I love Phoenix, especially old town Scottsdale, guess I'll have to chaperone. Bill would have to take a sedative with all that eye candy in Scottsdale though. Oh and he'll be staying at motel 6.

There might be few he might like on Van Buren.. ;)

my understanding is you had a shotgun.. and a hand held light...

get a light mounted on your primary HD weapon... (unless I am misreading this) because holding a light under the recoil of a shotgun.. and working a pump.. under pressure.. will likely be a big pile of fail..

you didn't do anything I wouldn't have done.. except keeping your gun unloaded..

Yup, pump action one hand and light in the other. 3 steps after I got the gun out of the safe I'm wishing i had a pimped out tactical SG.

Big pile of fail, lol, nicely put.

Thanks for the AAR on your night. Glad all worked out in the end.

One thing I caught reading your story is you didn't mention any outside flood light that yopu could have put on to either scare away or better spot light a possible intruder.

You might want to add one or two to yoru place to spot ligh tyoru front door adn driveway and maybe even have one pointed towards yoru Sister in-laws house as well just incase.

Also maybe look into one of those after market security video system for your home as well.