Adam- Glad you didn't take offense. Just saying Firearms are valuable and people target their theft and having an owner aid in their theft is not unheard of.

If, like you said you were already screwed a loaded firearm in the safe may be your way out.

Ah, I see. That makes sense. I'm just wary of leaving loaded firearms unattended... I don't mind keeping it loaded on my nightstand/person... but when it's locked up, I'd rather not keep it 'ready-to-fire'. I guess if I can mount a holster into my safe, that might be more helpful...

I generally think it is in poor form to keep a gun loaded in a safe... but then again, my safe is for long(er) term storage, I have a smaller lock-box for my HD handgun (which I also keep unloaded) until I take it out.

I keep my 870 in the safe with the chamber empty (and safety on) but six rounds in the mag. That way, it cannot accidentally discharge in the event of an earthquake.

• Like 2

Good job. I think you learned a few things about preparedness for an event in which you feel you need access to your gun. A single HG in a tactile touch activated lockbox (like a gunvault) in the bedroom is much more valuable than a collection locked up in the basement. ;)

A bird in the hand is worth two in a bush!

I don't quite understand this... if I'm being held hostage and they make me open my safe? I would think I'm already screwed...

If you have your gun loaded you have a better chance of not becoming a hostage is how I see it.. An empty gun doesn't do you any good...

I keep my 870 in the safe with the chamber empty (and safety on) but six rounds in the mag. That way, it cannot accidentally discharge in the event of an earthquake.

ROFLMAO,, I lived in Southern Kali, have about a dozen quakes when I lived there and never, ever heard of a gun going off from a quake.. Sorry, but I do find it funny....

ROFLMAO,, I lived in Southern Kali, have about a dozen quakes when I lived there and never, ever heard of a gun going off from a quake.. Sorry, but I do find it funny....

It is highly unlikely. What I mean is that, while there is virtually no chance that a shotgun can accidentally discharge with a shell in the chamber, there might be some scenario under which it happens -- earthquake, someone bumping into the cabinet, or whatever. Also, I am human, and I might forget to lock the door some day, and I have kids in the house. So for me, and my peace of mind, I think it is better to leave the chamber empty. If someone else makes a different decision, that's fine, too.

Good for you! Sounds like you did everything right, and everything in bold are good solutions to remember, God forbid you have to. From calling the police, up until you put the 870 back inside to avoid confusing the cop. You succesfully defused what could have been a real bad situation; Very good job. :)

Thanks. Hope I don't need to experience this again, but my cinical side tells me otherwise.

Ah Harry!!! That answers a lot of questions....

Frank, I packed up my brand new 84 Bronco when I graduated with all I needed, headed west to Phoenix, was staying at a resort looking for a job and meet a group of people at meetings in the Jacuzzi one night and was offered a gig in southern Kali.

Now tell me what 18 year old kid on there own wouldn't want to move to Southern Kali back when Sex was Safe and Bikes Were Dangerous???

• Like 1

It is highly unlikely. What I mean is that, while there is virtually no chance that a shotgun can accidentally discharge with a shell in the chamber, there might be some scenario under which it happens -- earthquake, someone bumping into the cabinet, or whatever. Also, I am human, and I might forget to lock the door some day, and I have kids in the house. So for me, and my peace of mind, I think it is better to leave the chamber empty. If someone else makes a different decision, that's fine, too.

I was hunting at at tower shoot in salem county, another hunter dropped his shotgun and it went off and shot him in the chest. The safety was on, The CO who showed up could smack the gun on the but and replicate the scenario.. Needless to say the hunter had a helicopter ride out.. It was a bad day hunting that day..If regulations were followed the incident would not have happened, guns were suppose to be unloaded changing stations..OOOOPS..

Good job! Now where's Bill?

Down shitz creek in a rubber raft with a slow leak approaching the rapids

Just curious, what was your wife doing during all of this? I would have been uncomfortable not being able to protect my family as much while investigating next door, especially without any additional firearms protection when I went to the basement, porch, etc...

She was on the phone with her sister next door. I was only 10' from the front door of my house. Will be getting something to keep closer to the bedroom.

From what you wrote, it sounds like you remained pretty calm, although you must have been frightened. You certainly received unwarranted practice for what could have been a very bad scenario that you had to deal with.

I was extremely calm (I would call it even a scary kind of calm). I credit the members of this forum for a good part of that. From reading the discussions and arguments posted by the members, I was able to use those posts to make decisions that kept me from getting a free police car ride and from harming someone due to panic. I was not frightened or amped up at all, my mind was too busy trying figure out how to stay out of jail, how not to discharge the round, and how to deal with the unknown. Practice makes perfect, hope there isn't any more anytime soon.

As far as the officer, you were probably blinding the officer somewhat, and or, he was concerned because he didn't know for sure who you were. Not to mention, he was asserting that he was taking charge. But, there is still that "Us" and "Them" mentality that you experienced. All in all, it sounds like you did the right thing. And, you must have been happy and relieved when the officer showed up.

Did not shine the light anywhere near him. He knows me, not that he knew that when he pulled up due to the darkness. He's lucky she did'nt have a gun because he walked right up to her ! After he got out of the car and walked 10' onto the lawn, I asked if he could see her on the porch, he said he could and then walked right up to her. Why didn't he stop, ask me to identify myself, ask her to identify herself, tell me what to do with the light, tell me to stay put, etc.? I was on his team, he just didn't realize it. I was relieved that he showed up for sure.

Over time you can evaluate many things that you could do differently if another scenario like that occurs again. Your story is getting me thinking about better strategies. I would suggest a handgun for both you and your wife.

I sincerely hope my post helps you should you encounter something such as this.

With the way jersey laws are, have you had to take some sort of action say it being a robber or a druggy you could have been looking at serious legal/criminal issues. That said, I would have taken similar action, in my eyes doing whats right to save the innocent is worth breaking a law. Hopefully the situation will help you better tune your firearm storing to achieve a faster, less stressful setup, also putting the gun away once you saw the cop had arrived was a very good move.

Thanks for the positive comment.

Seems that the laws protect the criminals. I am glad I am not a police officer and have to deal with that BS every day. I don't know how they do it and I give them alot of credit for a tough job.

I was trying to figure out how to get the perp moving away from my sister in laws house or get him to remain at the front door till the police arrived. I would have retreated into my home if the perp approached within a distance that made me feel threatened. If the person entered my home, I would lead them to my sound proof plastic lined room, bust the 3 rounds in em, bag em, and feed them to the crabs. Whoops, I digressed, just kidding, but we do have new furniture in the front living room.

Good Job! But, consider having a firearm more accessible.

I know that all too well now. Although the added time gave me time to think about the situation. I probally burned 3 minutes getting to and opening the safe. In this situation, that added time was ok. If Hop Head Harry was in my foyer, yeah I was relugated to putting a pencil in his ear.

You got some practice and Bill's wife got to meet Bill's girlfriend. Good job getting the gun away before the cops showed up!

The crazy thing is the girlfriend ends up going into the house to talk with Bills wife (oh too, too, bad Billy Boy!).

After Bills wife came out when the cop arrived, I left, put away the weapon, climbed back in bed then my wife said the girlfriend and wifey were talking inside the house. I start to wonder "What if this crazy ho's got a gun?", "What if she "Loves" Bill and is here to take down the roadblock?", so I called my sister in law and asked her if she was safe which she replied "yes".

Yeah about stowing the weapon. Learned that on this forum.

The crazy thing is the girlfriend ends up going into the house to talk with Bills wife (oh too, too, bad Billy Boy!).

After Bills wife came out when the cop arrived, I left, put away the weapon, climbed back in bed then my wife said the girlfriend and wifey were talking inside the house. I start to wonder "What if this crazy ho's got a gun?", "What if she "Loves" Bill and is here to take down the roadblock?", so I called my sister in law and asked her if she was safe which she replied "yes".

Yeah about stowing the weapon. Learned that on this forum.

That's just the right thing to do at 2:40 AM...... wtf.......

Very good job in aggregate.

One small monday-morning-quarterback note, which I add with no disrespect intended. Since you've got the shotgun locked at night, have you given any thought to keeping shells loaded in it? It sounds like the need to get it ready was an additional [and understandable] source of stress. I'm also sort of assuming that you arrived as the approach of loading only 3 shells for time reasons.

No disrespect taken. I appreciate positve comments and other points of observation.

I have kids and as another member has stated, he is concerned about accidently leaving the safe open. I have the same concern and I want another step to have to be done to make that weapon hot.

I keep the 870 at the front of the safe, action open, full box of shells with top tore off right on the shelf next to the gun.

I'm not sure why I only loaded three shells, I think i felt that was all I was going to need. I think I may have been concerned that I did not have the plug in it and somehow if I had more shells in the magazine that would be another 10 years. Probally a stupid thought, but I'm thinking thats it.

Next time, (please no next time God), I will have a full mag, one in the pipe and a handfull in my pocket.

I was'nt really stressed at the safe, kinda pissed that I got a manual combo instead of electronic

Again, really good job that shows very good awareness after having been awoken by a stressful unknown situation.

Thanks, again NJGunforums is due much of that credit for great information. I can't express my gratitude enough.

Another trick is to cover ONE eye with a hand, and turn on the lights. When you turn the lights back off, you will still have your night vision. Glad everything worked out well for you, and you were VERY SMART to realize that it may be a trick, and to keep checking your surroundings.

I didnt want to turn on the lights because I did not know if the perp had moved on to my place and I did not want to give away my location. Also to preserve that night vision.

Thanks for the positive comment, but I'm not really very smart, handsome (tic), but not very smart. I guess watching all those dumb azz horror movies where the zombie creeps up from behind while the good guy looks the other way is sorta engrained in my mind. I can hear the kids screaming "LOOK BEHIND YOU, LOOK BEHIND YOU" CHOMP.

Glad it worked out ok for you man. I'm sure if you had to shoot someone you would be in deep crap. I would of done the same thing thing though.

Whats the saying? "Better to be judged by a group of 12 than carried by a group of 6". Not sure if thats right, but pretty close. I also would have a hard time carrying my family member, especially a child when I had the opportunity to prevent that. Heck, 10 years, free medical, food, library privleges, gym, conjugal visits. Hmm, maybe Bill should get himself locked up for a bit.