Sign in to follow this  
foxbody429c6

need info on my 1944 Mauser K98 nazi sniper rifle

I bought this rifle off a friend this summer he didn't need it anymore, and all I know is his dad brought it back from WW2. And it's a mauser K98 nazi sniper rifle. He shot it a couple times but that's it. I never shot it and I want it in working condition. I know barley anything about guns been around them my whole life But they never were intresting to me. The reason I wanna get it to shot is my son is into guns. I have no clue were he got it from I'm a gear head auto tech by trade and Ive always had shot guns in the house but never used them. So any info you have about this gun will be much appricated.

I know next to nothing about K98 Mausers, but I can tell you that people that do are going to want pictures. Lots of pictures. Especially any proof marks or any markings on the barrel, receiver or stock. Hopefully the previous owner didn't shoot it with corrosive ammo and then put it away.

You're forgiven for being a Ford fanboy :icon_mrgreen: .

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I agree with Pizzabob, you need to post plenty of photos of the gun as well as the scope, concentrating on any markings and numbers. True K98 sniper rifles are rather rare, all are valuable, and some are crazy valuable! There are plenty of fakes out there also!

the curse of bubba....anything it was worth is gone. the gun's value was ruined by the conversion to a hunting rifle...that sucks man! If someone wanted a nice deer rifle (and you can't use that nj to hunt with anyway) it might bring a few hundred....if it was in undisturbed matching bringback condition? 1000-2500 depending on markings

still shoots good i gather

oh, that is a normal k98 with a redfield sight on it...NOT a sniper model

Does not appear to have had scope ring turrets so it appears to have been a standard issue Wehrmacht 98k (pre-bubba). Looks mighty shiney, so may have been polished and blued,too. If it was a "sniper" this is one variation of what it would look like. It would take too much money to restore.

For pure shooting,... it should go bang and put a hole right where you want it every time.

9387049_1.jpg

Ahh.. new clue with that pic of the flattened receiver,,and bad news it was sporterized. You have a Norwegian conversion 98k. It assuredly is chambered in 30-06, and it explains the polished bluing. Very collectible in original condition. Can you get a pic of the top of the receiver ring> We can tell what it started out as....my guess is BYF (Mauser Oberndorf).

...one more thing about this great peice of history. Did your friend's dad served post war in Europe? Norway received these rifles as part of reparations from Germany, and began to re-chamber for the 30-06 in early 1946. There were less than 250,000 absorbed into Norway's Border Patrols, National Guard, Prison Guards, and Military Police making these rifles an interesting chapter in history and exceedingly scarce.

Beautiful rifle! Here's mine...this one sat in a closet for 65 years! The sling unfortunately disintegrated when we picked it up. You can still see the pale mark in the sling slot from it. Just below that, you can see a strong waffenampt on the stock.

98k.jpgry4801.jpgwaffenampt.jpg

I don't think its a rifle from Norway. I am assuming he just used that pictures to show the appearance of the eagle.

Its a shame that this was turned into a deer rifle. I'd still hold onto it and shoot it.

What are the numbers on the proof marks on the right side of the receiver? Also what code on the top?

Intercooler & Mintbore, you guys have some good looking k98k's! I have a pretty good size collection, only 2 are bring backs, and 1 is 100% matching. I prefer the late war rifles.

I'll bet a pound of luttefisk its Norwegian. Ive never seen another with the telltale milling on the reciever.

Compare it to some pics:

His pictures are hard to tell, I mean in the 3rd picture, it doesn't look milled. And the 4th it does, but could just be a reflection. I agree Norwegians only did that type of milling, but I don't think his is milled, the pictures with the obvious Norwegian rifle, was just an example I'd think.

His pictures are hard to tell, I mean in the 3rd picture, it doesn't look milled. And the 4th it does, but could just be a reflection. I agree Norwegians only did that type of milling, but I don't think his is milled, the pictures with the obvious Norwegian rifle, was just an example I'd think.

Take a look at his pic (below).....

01k98jpg.jpg

then take a look at Norwegian Mausers....Uff Da, youbetcha dat dere's a Norvejin Mauser.

n3.jpg

n2.jpg

n1.jpg

:

01k98jpg.jpg

I think the point they are trying to get across is that the above picture is not of his gun. It is something he pulled off the Internet to better show what the eagle over the swastika proof mark looked like. Yes the picture may be Norwegian, but it's not his :rolleyes:

01k98jpg.jpg

then take a look at Norwegian Mausers....Uff Da, youbetcha dat dere's a Norvejin Mauser.

n3.jpg

n2.jpg

n1.jpg

:

I am not arguing that the picture's you quoted are Norwegian, however the picture your are saying is of "his" isnt!

Look at his post again , the first 4 photos he posted are of his rifle in a hardwood sporter stock. With no milling visible, and only 4 digit serial. The picture he posted of the Norwegian, just says "the eagle looks like this". That rifle is a 5 digit serial rifle, with original serial marked out, and is pictured in a laminate stock.

So again, Yes the last rifle picture he posted is Norwegian, but it inst his rifle, judging by the other pictures he included. If they were clear we be able to better determine.

I think the point they are trying to get across is that the above picture is not of his gun. It is something he pulled off the Internet to better show what the eagle over the swastika proof mark looked like. Yes the picture may be Norwegian, but it's not his :rolleyes:

Exactly. lol

Even though its sporterized, It will still be a great shooter if the bore is good.

Why did you say it's a sniper? Were you told it was? It's definitely not a turret mount or claw mount because there are no visible taps on the receiver. What is the manufacturers code on the receiver? Only a few codes were made into snipers.

Look at the left side of the receiver from the inside. LSR and SSR should have holes or signs of holes tapped on the side simular to the Mosin PU snipers. If those are also missing then this was never a sniper. Either way, once it was bubba'ed it's really not worth anything.

Why did you say it's a sniper? Were you told it was? It's definitely not a turret mount or claw mount because there are no visible taps on the receiver. What is the manufacturers code on the receiver? Only a few codes were made into snipers.

Look at the left side of the receiver from the inside. LSR and SSR should have holes or signs of holes tapped on the side simular to the Mosin PU snipers. If those are also missing then this was never a sniper. Either way, once it was bubba'ed it's really not worth anything.

Generally the SSR rifles were early K98's so I'd rule that out. The only possibility would be an LSR being a 44'. However the LSR's were built off Gustloff thickwall receivers which this doesn't appear to have. We would also would have seen some milling on the sidewall, so I doubt it was ever a sniper. Just appears to be a bubba with a lymans rear sight.