deni

M&P9 'Shield' image leaked

this takes precedent over the XDs in my book

depends sir

If your an XD fan then no. If your a 45 acp fan then no.

If your a S&W fan then yes. If your a 9mm fan then yes.

I'm liking the XDs a little more, adjustable grip, accessory rail, 1911 style grip safety which is not bad compared to m&p safety, plus it's 45, I know it's a little low on capacity but I think someone will remedy that.

ray ray is right its not an advantage, but if you absolutely needed a gun with a safety xd is ok imo. I never had a problem with 2 I own, one xd9sc and xd45 tactical, if you grip it like your supposed to, no one should have a problem with xd style safety, it's almost automatic, sort of like the trigger safety on glocks. the only way I could see it as problem is if your injured and lost your thumb and can't grab the grip the right way, use other hand then! lol...

The Smith is almost the same size and weight as the Glock 26 with less capacity and the added liability of a safety.. Not for me...

Thats somewhat true, except for the thickness part. I'm kinda surprised Glock hasn't made a non .45 single stack compact gun.

It's not, and some who have shot my XD45 could make it not work. Which I didn't like.

That's actually the problem. Yes I know the 1911 has one, and God and JMB made it that way (except it was requested by the various trials, it wasn't designed that way) but you can't guarantee that you will grab the gun "right" every time. I find it hard to grab a 1911 wrong, but I've seen a number of people succeed, I suspect the problem is exacerbated by the blockier XD. They work for me but they are as necessary as bicycle is to a fish.

I was at RTSP this morning and they had an M&P Shield which I was able to hold and compare to a Walther PPS they had behind the counter. In summary:

• M&P Shield felt ok in the hand, it is slim, however I personally found the Walther PPS slightly more comfortable to hold.
  • M&P Shield safety is even more pointless (in my view) than I had thought from the photos. It is pretty much flush with the slide.
  • If you like button mag release then M&P Shield would be more suitable.
  • If you like paddle mag release then Walther PPS would be more suitable.
  • Both feel about the same size when holding, albeit the PPS is slightly larger in some dimensions.

As I didn't shoot either, I can't comment on recoil etc.

I'll be ordering myself a Walther PPS as I typically prefer the paddle mag release. Both firearms are very narrow and would be good candidates for CCW. They are significantly slimmer than the double stack compact Springfield XD/XDM, M&Pc etc. RTSP didn't have a XDS although they've been trying to order them, and they don't know when they will be able to get any.

I didn't compare either PPS or Shield to Nano etc.

hth

TheWombat

PPS has a big advantage though. Magazine capacity can be either 6+1, 7+1 or 8+1. You can go from pocket carry to OWB carry easily.

Agreed - and while a few people have said they find the PPS uncomfortable, using a LimbSaver or Hogue grip seems to resolve the issue.

TheWombat

Agreed - and while a few people have said they find the PPS uncomfortable, using a LimbSaver or Hogue grip seems to resolve the issue.

TheWombat

I had shot one (Sigman's) a few years ago and remembering that under recoil the frame would smack the bone on my thumb. I think I've moved on and now the XDs has caught my eye.

I got to RTSP right after Wombat was leaving....

And I got to also hold the Shield.

Love it!!!

Can't wait to get mine!

Surprising. Troy loves a Smith&Wesson? No way!

Irjyw.jpg

Seems about the same as the PPS. Smaller than most sub compacts and a touch bigger than pocket guns.

Model: PPS

Caliber: 9mm

Length: 6.3"

Height: 4.4"

Overall Width/Width without slidestop lever and takedown buttons: 1.04"/.91"

Barrel Length: 3.2"

Sight Radius: 5.4"

Weight (without Mag): 19.4 oz.

Standard Magazine Weight: 1.9 oz.

Action: Striker Fire Action, Pre-Cocked

Trigger Pull: 6.1 lbs.

Frame: Black Polymer

And no, single stack 9mm's are not pocket pistols. For true pocket pistols you have to move down to .380 and smaller.

Sorry. I disagree. My Rohrbaugh R9 would put most 380s to shame.