TheMan

Zimmerman to be charged in Trayvon Martin shooting

A judge revoked bond today for George Zimmerman, who is accused of killing a Florida teenager in his gated community, and ordered the neighborhood watch captain to surrender himself in 48 hours.

Prosecutors had filed a motion today to revoke his bond, accusing Zimmerman of "deceiving" the court about his finances and his possession of a second passport, which he apparently acquired two weeks after the shooting.

"The court was led to believe that they didn't have a single penny," said prosecutor Bernie De La Rionda. "If this [the money] wasn't relevant to bond then why did they lie about it? I don't know what other words to use besides that it was a blatant lie."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/prosecution-requests-george-zimmermans-bond-revoked/story?id=16476183

I know absolutely squat about bail and bond. Is it determined based on your available income? If it's not, what difference does it make how much the guy has access to? If income does matter concerning bail/bond, I see that as a bit unfair. Why should a guy that ain't got a pot to piss in have a lower bail than someone that's well off for the same crime/offense?

I know absolutely squat about bail and bond. Is it determined based on your available income? If it's not, what difference does it make how much the guy has access to? If income does matter concerning bail/bond, I see that as a bit unfair. Why should a guy that ain't got a pot to piss in have a lower bail than someone that's well off for the same crime/offense?

If he has money available that he didnt disclose, not to mention a second passport, the prosecution can make the case that he is now a Flight Risk.

If he has money available that he didnt disclose, not to mention a second passport, the prosecution can make the case that he is now a Flight Risk.

Oh, OK. I hadn't thought of that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

So much for speedy due-process. Doesn't that seem like a long time to wait for your trial, considering we're already many months into the case?

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/17/14508890-florida-judge-sets-june-start-date-for-george-zimmerman-murder-trial?lite

Unfortunately weither it was self defense or not i am guessing he will be found guilty. In my opinion the national news coverage and race card will out wiegh any facts. The totality of circumstances and moment in time wont matter as they should. The jury won't give him the benefit of self defense. Its sad once again it won't matter what really happened.

I'm sure they're allowing enough time to come up with a plan to deal with the fallout when Zimmerman is found not guilty. I can't see Florida's right to defend law as being anything but absolute. Without Martin's testimony, most of the other stuff is somewhat circumstantial.

There's more going on then we know that's for sure. Like someone else said, IMO they are planning on what to do knowing they have an innocent man on their hands and the fallout to follow the truth coming out (again!).If his lawyers wanted they could plead the "speedy trial request" and this would be all done with. They are waiting on it for a reason..

I haven't heard on any updates on this case until today.

http://news.msn.com/...-murder-suspect

There have been more updates, mostly revolving around discovery of evidence and publishing of pictures.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/03/newly-released-photo-shows-bloodied-george-zimmerman-from-night-trayvon-martin/

My guess is Adam is largely right. Every time something comes up, it gets more and more likely they can win a case without stand your ground being involved, and certainly can't get a 2nd degree murder case. I see two major possibilities. First, either they are in cahoots with zimmerman's lawyers and waiting until the protests are gone, then leaking more and more evidence that shows self defense, and waiting until the media response to that is nothing, or at least not trying to railroad zimmerman. This mainly because they know they were forced by media pressure ot take a loser case they wouldn't have and want to let it go. Second would be that they are stuck with a loser case due to an internal crusader with influence, and they are draggin it out as long as possible to try and force a deal to be cut.

There's more going on then we know that's for sure. Like someone else said, IMO they are planning on what to do knowing they have an innocent man on their hands and the fallout to follow the truth coming out (again!).If his lawyers wanted they could plead the "speedy trial request" and this would be all done with. They are waiting on it for a reason..

Speedy trial is not always to the defendant's benefit. I don't know the law in FL but in the Federal system speedy trial means 70 days from indictment. Rarely have I seen a Federal case go to trial in this time. Delays can be asked for a variety of reasons and most of the time (to my experience) are asked for by the defense. A common reason is for the defense to ask for delays is to interview witnesses. This may lead to other witnesses favorable witnesses for the defense. Interviewing witnesses is one of the things Zimmerman's lawyer brings up in nascar's link.

raz-O's link regarding the judge's decision to only allow black and white instead of color photos of Zimmerman's injuries so as not to prejudice the jury. I have seen this restriction placed on the prosecution at times as well. For example in a trial of a chainsaw homicide the defense can't surpress photos of the victim and crime scene. Color photos aren't going to help the defense and b&w would minimize impact on the jury. The judge in Zimmerman's case is applying the same logic.

Delaying the start of a trial by the defense is not unusual. It usually benefits the defense and no harm done if the defendant is out on bail.

I can see the logic by the judge with regards to a jury trial. However, is it unusual for the prosecution to gag the image during the discovery phase? Their case is based upon playing down Zimmerman's injuries to the point of non-existence. This is hardly an impartial discovery. That said, I'm unfamiliar with the justice system.

Why should a guy that ain't got a pot to piss in have a lower bail than someone that's well off for the same crime/offense?

The better question is, why should a guy who doesn't have a pot to piss in have to sit in jail for 3 months awaiting trial because he can't afford the bail that a rich man can? That is why it sometimes scales with income. A rich guy can toss down a 5,10,50,100k bail like nothing. A working stiff might miss the rent or utilities or get into all kinds of financial trouble after a disproportionally high bail.

And before you go ahead and say "well then don't do anything illegal!" keep in mind that being arrested, and actually being convicted, are two very different things.

Same goes for fines, I also believe that fines should scale with income. Saw in the news the other day that the Pawn Stars guys got fined $1,000 for littering in the desert. Those guys probably make a grand an hour, so a fine like that is a laugh. Meanwhile some other guy who does that might miss all kinds of bills or what not after a fine like that. That is not justice.

The better question is, why should a guy who doesn't have a pot to piss in have to sit in jail for 3 months awaiting trial because he can't afford the bail that a rich man can? That is why it sometimes scales with income. A rich guy can toss down a 5,10,50,100k bail like nothing. A working stiff might miss the rent or utilities or get into all kinds of financial trouble after a disproportionally high bail.

And before you go ahead and say "well then don't do anything illegal!" keep in mind that being arrested, and actually being convicted, are two very different things.

Same goes for fines, I also believe that fines should scale with income. Saw in the news the other day that the Pawn Stars guys got fined $1,000 for littering in the desert. Those guys probably make a grand an hour, so a fine like that is a laugh. Meanwhile some other guy who does that might miss all kinds of bills or what not after a fine like that. That is not justice.

It's been so long ago that I made that comment, I need to back and check the context on which I made it. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I guess the issue is becoming less significant until the trial starts, but last week the committee that was assembled by the Governor of Fla to study the stand your ground law reported back last Friday that the law was effective and should not be changed.