hiker88

Owners of some Remington shotguns, rifles claim pattern of inadvertent discharges

When you sell millions and millions of guns some idiot is going to find a way to hurt himself, want to sue and some irrelevant news organization that can no longer obviously antigun is going to do something they think is subtle like slander a gun company. NBC has been going after remington for years.

When you sell millions and millions of guns some idiot is going to find a way to hurt himself, want to sue and some irrelevant news organization that can no longer obviously antigun is going to do something they think is subtle like slander a gun company. NBC has been going after remington for years.

+1, over 10,000,000 870s and counting.

Good post 88.

The guy was stupid for leaning his gun up against the truck but is there any possible way that an 870 could let one loose by it being dropped?

The article I read stated this:

"The patented design of the CFC is unique to Remington. While the safety—the switch that's supposed to keep a gun from firing accidentally—locks the trigger in place, it doesn't block the internal parts from moving; specifically the hammer, the sear and the firing pin.

Butters says if those parts become disengaged, because of debris or even just bumping or dropping the gun, the result can be disastrous."

What does he mean when he says - "if those parts become disengaged". Does that mean if the safety becomes disengaged or does it mean the other parts of the trigger group becoming dislodged they can set off a round?

I hope someone can explain the plausibility of this happening. Maybe the mythbusters need to get on this.

I don't plan on ever dropping my gun(s), but stuff happens.

Good post 88.

The guy was stupid for leaning his gun up against the truck but is there any possible way that an 870 could let one loose by it being dropped?

The article I read stated this:

"The patented design of the CFC is unique to Remington. While the safety—the switch that's supposed to keep a gun from firing accidentally—locks the trigger in place, it doesn't block the internal parts from moving; specifically the hammer, the sear and the firing pin.

Butters says if those parts become disengaged, because of debris or even just bumping or dropping the gun, the result can be disastrous."

What does he mean when he says - "if those parts become disengaged". Does that mean if the safety becomes disengaged or does it mean the other parts of the trigger group becoming dislodged they can set off a round?

I hope someone can explain the plausibility of this happening. Maybe the mythbusters need to get on this.

I don't plan on ever dropping my gun(s), but stuff happens.

If you have one in the chamber it should always be pointed in a safe direction down range so it should never matter. If nothing is chambered you got nothing to worry about.

You mean that I can't simply throw loaded firearms around? I figured setting them on fire, tossing them, dropping them, cleaning them while loaded were all completely safe things to do! :sarcastic:

This is why you treat every firearm as if it is loaded. Just because a safety is on doesnt make it safe. If I had a loaded shotgun and was going to stand it up and risk knocking it over I would unload it first. Straight up in the air is not a safe direction to point a loaded firearm anyways.

According to the NBC report, there have been 119 reports of this happening, and there are over 20,000,000 guns in circulation with that fire control mechanism. That's 0.0006%. 6 10,000ths of 1% Statistically, it's never happened. Glocks kaboom at a much higher rate than Remington common fire controls AD. And according to Remington, most of those complaints were the result of somebody monkeying with the trigger on their guns to make them lighter. If all of those 119 people had followed the 4 rules, there would have been NO injuries.

I think I'm going to guy buy a Remington 870 soon and send MSNBC a copy of the receipt. :hunter: :fugg:

According to the NBC report, there have been 119 reports of this happening, and there are over 20,000,000 guns in circulation with that fire control mechanism. That's 0.0006%. 6 10,000ths of 1% Statistically, it's never happened. Glocks kaboom at a much higher rate than Remington common fire controls AD. And according to Remington, most of those complaints were the result of somebody monkeying with the trigger on their guns to make them lighter. If all of those 119 people had followed the 4 rules, there would have been NO injuries.

I think I'm going to guy buy a Remington 870 soon and send MSNBC a copy of the receipt. :hunter:fugg.gif

Thanks for a factual perspective. Sensationalism gets more viewers, though.

I bought a Remington 870 in December. I plan on keeping it a long time.

I think my father told me when I was a boy that many long guns are dangerous if you bang them on something, hard, when carrying, etc. He told me it wasn't a good idea to climb a tree with one or leave one propped up against something. He also told me to be careful of the older single-action revolvers and do not carry one with a round in the chamber, and he also told me that a gun with a loaded round in the chamber will fire in a fire. I wonder where this guy's father was?

Brought to you by the same news organization who rigged model rocket engines onto a SUV gas tank to "demonstrate" a design flaw, and who edited Zimmerman's 911 tape to make him sound racist. I have no idea about Remington's trigger but I do know NBC news has zero credibility.

I saw this piece on Rock Center; the guy who had leaned the gun on his truck admitted that was his mistake--but he still had expected the safety would have kept the gun safe. The other guy--shot most of his hand off--said that he did not blame Remington at all; and admitted that his hand should never have been in position to be shot--safety or not. He stated that he sent the gun to an "independent lab" which verified repeatability, then he sent it to Remington and they could not repeat the incident. He claimed he was not seeking damages from Remington, just wanted to inform them of a potential issue. I think the Glock is setup so that the firearm cannot normally discharge if it is dropped--something about the trigger bar blocking the firing pin until the trigger is actually pulled.

The third guy "accidentally" shot his wife--I did not find his story persuasive. "Honey can you help me clean my gun? Yeah, stand right in front of the muzzle while I clean the trigger." He was cleaning the firearm in his garage and asked his wife to help. Gun just went off by itself. The guy is either brain dead for not unloading and double checking prior to any cleaning activity, or it was an intentional act.

The NBC reporter said they (NBC) were not anti-gun, and they would do the same story if it were a defective baby stroller. However, the main expert they relied upon seemed to have an axe to grind with Remington. I can't remember, but I think NBC did mention contributory factors such as lack of maintenance and unsafe handling.

The third guy "accidentally" shot his wife--I did not find his story persuasive. "Honey can you help me clean my gun? Yeah, stand right in front of the muzzle while I clean the trigger." He was cleaning the firearm in his garage and asked his wife to help. Gun just went off by itself. The guy is either brain dead for not unloading and double checking prior to any cleaning activity, or it was an intentional act.

What self-respecting man asks his wife to help him clean a Remington 870? It's incredibly easy to disassemble and clean. Also, I know everyone may not be this way, but if I'm in the garage doing something -- cleaning a gun, changing the oil on the lawnmower, adjusting the valves on my motorcycle, whatever -- I prefer to be left alone.

I saw this piece on Rock Center; the guy who had leaned the gun on his truck admitted that was his mistake--but he still had expected the safety would have kept the gun safe.

All that safety does on that particular model (any of the modular trigger units that drop out of the receiver with two crosspins like found on the 870, 1100, 1187, 6, 4, 740, 760, 7400, 7600, etc.) is prevent the trigger from being pulled rearward. It doesn't block the sear or hammer. If people understood the inner-workings of their firearms they would be a bit more cautious.

Brought to you by the same news organization who rigged model rocket engines onto a SUV gas tank to "demonstrate" a design flaw, and who edited Zimmerman's 911 tape to make him sound racist. I have no idea about Remington's trigger but I do know NBC news has zero credibility.

You forgot the the white supremacist carrying an ar at an obama speech.

Oh thats right he was a black white supremacist.

MS/NBC is sensationalist crap.