Krdshrk

Top Shot has not been renewed for a 5th season

i can't see why anyone involved in the shooting community would not back the show..

is the drama annoying at times sure?

but does it portray guns in a non evil competitive manner in which even people not overly into firearms can relate.. YES

is it significantly better than a lot of the other garbage on TV... YES..

Honestly though, the show does good, but how much of the show audience is non gun owners? The past few seasons, I really could not care when I got to the episode, it really did get a bit old and a lot of the "drama" just took away from the show.

What would be awesome concept.... for "top shot" would be to take the same 16 people or so, and have them compete in various competitions, be it NRA High Power, Bullseye, Trap/Skeet, IDPA, USPSA, Steel, etc.

I think that is what the execs at History learned, Maks, that this show caters to, mostly, a niche crowd. There are the shows on niche channels (Versus or NBC Sports or whatever its called now) on certain days that cater exclusively to the firearms community-- and they do well. Though the Nielsen rating is 0.8, how diverse is the show? AKA how long before the targeted community gets burned out and the show crashes hard?

the "mtv real world drama" got my fiance interested at first....

it made her wonder what the arguing was about.. and sucked her in..

I got to watch the shooting..

win win..

drama sells TV.. and if I have to watch a little drama to also be able to watch a little bit of unique shooting action..

well then I am sold also...,

What would be awesome concept.... for "top shot" would be to take the same 16 people or so, and have them compete in various competitions, be it NRA High Power, Bullseye, Trap/Skeet, IDPA, USPSA, Steel, etc.

no offense.. but that would be incredibly boring..

I can appreciate the skill and dedication.. but I don't think that it would translate to exciting TV..

I would GO to a live shooting comp to see things like that.. but watch it on TV? unlikely..

How about a traveling top shot, where they take their proven marksmen to local ranges to compete with the average shooter in the same top shop style matches.. idk kinda like a Iron Chef but with shooters, (iron chef Japan, not the shitty Iron Chef America that sucked)

Those visually interesting angles require a lot of work, most with unmanned, high speed cameras that require tons of editing time. I do give them credit for the production value, lighting, sound clarity in the wind, editing, and the elaborate scenarios requiring an entire staff of props people, painters, welders, carpenters, electricians, etc.

I'd be more interested in seeing some video of what each competitor does back home, that got them to the level they're at, than all of the drama. Stuff like Chriss Reed's story, the woman Cop who had to leave the show cause her Dad was dying, those tug the heart and should be further looked into. In fact, the female Cop ought to come back (if she wants to) and maybe coach something or even compete again. More human interest story than the "Littlejohn Dramas". Not enough female "Experts" to teach the guys how to shoot the scenarios.

And they still need someone in the Black Powder domain that doesn't have their head up their butt! Just sayin'........

Honestly though, the show does good, but how much of the show audience is non gun owners?

I can't say, but I did take two people I knew from work shooting; we started talking about the show one day and they said they had never shot before and wanted to, but didn't know where to start. That contract ended and I moved on to a new job, but last time I heard, one of my former co-workers was applying for a permit.

Season 2 sucked, but I did like Top Shot; it showed competitive sport shooting in a positive light - for recreation, competition and just fun.

Not enough female "Experts" to teach the guys how to shoot the scenarios.

I agree - there are plenty of female Olympic medalists or National / International champions in disciplines like skeet, archery or the biathlon that would qualify as experts.

the "mtv real world drama" got my fiance interested at first....

it made her wonder what the arguing was about.. and sucked her in..

I got to watch the shooting..

win win..

drama sells TV.. and if I have to watch a little drama to also be able to watch a little bit of unique shooting action..

well then I am sold also...,

That's the problem. The drama is low grade drama. There are really only two choices. Crank it up to full stupid, which won't look good for gun owners, or let run its course and end.

I think there are people to watch shooting shows in reasonable numbers. I just think the programmers are going ot have to keep it fresh. I could see something like joes vs. pros for shooting have a solid season or two, something where experts in their niche challenge a peer to try and outdo each other. There are ideas to be explored. Watching mostly polite but competitive guys explain that they intend to win this every five seconds isn't that compelling.