this_is_nascar

Suggest a Smartphone

I've been the owner of cell phones for years, however I've never owned a smartphone. My wife and I are both up for renewal with Verizon. I really have no interests in changing providers, so we'd want a phone that works with the Verizon network. I don't think the existence or lack of 4G on the phone is a deal-breaker either.

The top two that seem to be on the "must-have" list is the Apple iPhone 4S and the Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX. I don't believe I have a preference on one OS over the other, since I've never had a smartphone to begin with. The size of the RAZR MAXX seems to be pretty large, but I love the reported battery life it seems to be getting. How about it? What can you folks recommend?

I have the Droid RAZR with the extra battery charger. The RAZR is the same as the RAZRMAX without the extended battery. I get through a full day on one charge while screwing around pretty frequently, and use the extra battery charger in the event of extra usage. With either phone, you WILL want a case, and the width of the MAX is going to be entirely too much for a pocket. I can easily slip the RAZR with otterbox case into my pocket and it disappears. My vote is (obviously) the regular razr.

I'm on my 3'rd IPhone,and because I'm grandfathered into AT&T's unlimited plan I don't forsee me switching in the near future. More apps,little drop calls,Icloud,Itunes,great technology and the ability to jailbreak my old IPhones to use overseas SIM cards.

I'm on my 3'rd IPhone,and because I'm grandfathered into AT&T's unlimited plan I don't forsee me switching in the near future. More apps,little drop calls,Icloud,Itunes,great technology and the ability to jailbreak my old IPhones to use overseas SIM cards.

My wife and I are on our 3rd iphone's and we are extremely satisfied with them. Plus having a walk in customer service at the local apple store is always great if there are any questions (or issues) ever! Definitely recommend the iPhone 4s.

My wife and I are on our 3rd iphone's and we are extremely satisfied with them. Plus having a walk in customer service at the local apple store is always great if there are any questions (or issues) ever! Definitely recommend the iPhone 4s.

My wife and I both got the iPhone 4s. We had Blackberries before that. I was sort of biased against Apple for some reason, but I have to say that the iPhone is really great. The strength of the iPhone is in all the apps that are available.

Also, I am a Verizon customer, but I went to the Apple store to get my phone. I was in and out of that store in less than 30 minutes with an activated phone and my contacts transferred to my new phone. I would have still been waiting at the Verizon store.

Thanks everyone. I think (but I'll reserve to change my mind once I start using a smartphone) that I'll use it mostly for a phone, take an occasional pictures here and there and probably a few apps. Is there anything to consider when/if wanting the capability to have the phone act as a hotspot? My wife has a Kindle Fire, which is Wi-Fi only. I'd want my smartphone to be a hotspot for her Fire while we're down the campground. Our campground is in the Pine Barrens which is another reason why I won't change from Verizon.

I have had Blackberry,Samsung,Nokia and iPhone's. I have a BB now,but will go back to iPhone as soon as I get an upgrade. If you get and iPhone you will love it and always have them from now on. Plus you will wonder what you did for a phone before you got it!! The phone is great and I cannot wait until I am eligible for an upgrade to go back to one. Get one and don't look back.....

I thought I read somewhere that iPhone on Verizon you can not do "data stuff" and a phone call at the same time, whereas with ATT you can. That's more of an "iPhone Which Provider" question I guess. One of my biggest concerns with the 4S is the non-replaceable battery. I guess if the masses were having an issue with that, it would be all over the news. For me, it's a concern, since I keep a phone for many years and don't tend to upgrade every 2-years like everyone else.

I thought I read somewhere that iPhone on Verizon you can not do "data stuff" and a phone call at the same time, whereas with ATT you can. That's more of an "iPhone Which Provider" question I guess. One of my biggest concerns with the 4S is the non-replaceable battery. I guess if the masses were having an issue with that, it would be all over the news. For me, it's a concern, since I keep a phone for many years and don't tend to upgrade every 2-years like everyone else.

Most smart phones really only have a 2-year lifespan. Just a heads up.

I have a Razr Maxx. I was originally going to get a Galaxy Nexus because I was skeptical of the Razr, but they did a BOGO so my wife and I each got Razr Maxx. I was very pleasantly surprised by it, it really is a great phone. I don't use it during the day a whole lot and I'm in a low signal area at work, but I can go two full days without charging it. Recently it was actually 3 full days, I think I got the battery meter up to 2d on battery at 50%, and then I didn't plug it in until the following night, so a solid 72 hours.

I came from an original droid, so I wasn't sure about the size of them either, but it's really not bad. And contrary to what j0n said, I don't have a case for it and I don't like cases on my phone usually.

The iPhone is awesome. Lots of people will tell you they are happy with their Android phone, but if you talk to anyone who has had both they will usually tell you that they like the iPhone a lot better. I'm on mine all day and the battery usually makes it, so you should have no problem with medium use but using as a hot spot is a big drain.

FWIW, I have AT&T and my dad has Verizon, and I can tell you that, 4G or not, my phone is way faster at loading data. They are both the same when on wifi.

Do yourself a favor. GET an iPhone. Especially that you have no experience with a smartphone. It is by FAR the easiest operating system out there and just works. My daughter starting using the iPad and itouch at 2! Thank me later.... The other operating systems are a mess for a novice. Also 4S IS 4G!

The battery on an iPhone will last longer than 2 years. My daughter use a first generation iPhone and I'm not sure but I think that came out 5-6 years ago? Either way the battery will last much longer than 2 years. I don't think smartphones have a 2 year expiration as they can all be updated with new software and bios updates. I know lots of people with phones that are over 2yrs old!!

The phone carriers want you to believe they only last 2 years. Notice how all the contracts are set up for 2 years. So every two years you but a new phone with a new 2 year contract. Guarantees revenue for the carrier.

There is a grain of truth to the 2 years thing.

One, batteries are consumables. In 1-2 years of normal use, expect to have only 60-80% of the original capacity. For old cell phones this wasn't an issue, since you could get multiple days off a charge. However with a smartphone giving you 18-24 hours on a charge, a 20% decrease can mean you don't make it through the day without recharging. Fortunately batteries can be had for $20-50.

Second, you are talking computers here. Bleeding edge performance today is budget performance in two years, mainstream performance at best. For some this may not be an issue, for some it will be an issue.

The battery on an iPhone will last longer than 2 years. My daughter use a first generation iPhone and I'm not sure but I think that came out 5-6 years ago? Either way the battery will last much longer than 2 years. I don't think smartphones have a 2 year expiration as they can all be updated with new software and bios updates. I know lots of people with phones that are over 2yrs old!!

I use my Iphone 2 which I opened as my travel phone and it is well over 4 years old so I exspect it's a matter of how you use it as opposed to an actual finite lifespan on the battery.

I jailbreaked it from AT&T in Hong Kong and now just install a prepaid SIM in what ever country I'm visiting to take advantage of the rather inexpensive rates availible,It can still be rather expensive depending on the carrier and the info you download however.