Wojo

Lead time under Ideal Conditions for a CCW

Just out of curiosity, what would be the lead time to get a CCW? Can you expedite the process?

I recently interviewed with a financial institution and in a department head position, I would be responsible for security and doing some EP work / other operational needs.

So, how long with a bank's letter of need, would it take? Bergen County based. The only thing I lacked in the past was the "Justifiyable Need". Now I might have it.

I would love to file a law suit against NJ for making me ineligable for employment because I don't have a CCW in my home state. I have had to pass on many, many positions because many out of state companies require a resident CCW...not FL / Utah.

Even with the letter from the bank, the judge may still find you do not have a "justifiable need" or may limit when you can actually carry, i.e. only during work hours. I have not talked with anyone other than LEOs who have been able to obtain a CCW permit, so I am not really sure of the time frame. I have a nasty felling it would go to the same group who does FIDs and would take just as long, but that it just my opinion. I hope someone else here would have better information for you.

I wish you the best of luck with both the job and the CCW. Please keep us updated.

Just out of curiosity, what would be the lead time to get a CCW? Can you expedite the process?

I recently interviewed with a financial institution and in a department head position, I would be responsible for security and doing some EP work / other operational needs.

So, how long with a bank's letter of need, would it take? Bergen County based. The only thing I lacked in the past was the "Justifiyable Need". Now I might have it.

I would love to file a law suit against NJ for making me ineligable for employment because I don't have a CCW in my home state. I have had to pass on many, many positions because many out of state companies require a resident CCW...not FL / Utah.

If you are carrying financial instruments from one branch to another, whether it be stocks, bonds or currency. There might be a chance. Then again the the authorities can just tell you to hire a armed guard service for these types of situations. I understand that an armed guard is limited to carrying on the job usually spelled out on the license.

I am confident that it would only be for work. As of late last week I was told I was still on the short list but they had a few more candidates to interview. The job is multi-dimensional, bank security during peak times (roving / random), executive protection / driving, and facilities management. If they pick a prior LEO with no back ground in facilities, Sarbanes-Oxley, OFLAC and other banking requirements I will scream...Once again, job descrimination because regular folks can't get a ccw in this state.

FWIW, another NJ bank I was at when I managed facilities and physical security our head of security had a CCW and was not a prior LEO. Yes, it was conditional.

If you are wondering and ask the question when did this all come about? The permit process for conceal carry goes back to 1924 (according to my research). At one time the bank president can apply for 20 carry permits for bank employees! Times have changed some since then....

Chapter 137 Laws of 1924 Page 305 - 308 >Concealed carry permit now needed. Establishes Record of Sale, Registry, signature of buyer and seller, duplicate needs to be delivered to chief of police, penalties include a high misdemeanor, 24 hour waiting period, no sales after 3 pm, presidents of banks and trust associations, loan institutions, can make application for (up to) 20 permits for the employees,agents, messengers and clerks. Does not apply to State Police or any motor vehicle inspector...Approved March 11 1924

http://lawlibrary.rutgers.edu/cgi-bin/diglib.cgi?collect=njleg&file=148&page=0305&zoom=90

Your chances are slim to none honestly.

OK - from this response, I'm going to guess that you are involved in the CCW issuing process? Does NJ routinely turn down CCW apps when required for employment? Wojo has a good question here.

That restriction should not apply to armed guards on the job transporting large sums of money or does it?

One wouldn't think so, or otherwise why have armed security guards on trucks at all and bank robbery would become even more lucrative, on the other hand this is NJ.

No you can't use deadly force to protect property. If you go up to an armored car, a bank or a jewelry store unarmed and steal something and there is an armed guard present they cannot shoot you. If you are unarmed, don't use or threathen any deadly force you can't be shot for stealing. The fact is virtually all robberies of armored cars,banks, or jewelry stores are committed by someone who is armed or threathens deadly force in some way.

Armed guards carry weapons not to stop someone from stealing but to protect themselvs and others from criminals that use the threat of deadly force.

I'd agree. It will take you 6 months to get. And I'd bet, despite whatever 'fast track nonsense you were told. Again, sorry, this is 'NJ'.

Even IF you get a NJ "carry permit", it would be stamped 'Restricted meaning working hrs only, not sitting around at home, going out to store strapped cause you are "On Call". And if you leave your job, you have a VERY short time to surrender this 'permit to the NJSP.

Welcome to the New Europe police state of the Eurozone wanabe satellite 'gun free' govt designed behaviorally modified obedient, sanitised, androgenous zone of NJ. Have a nice day.