Ray Ray

tactical boots, opinions?

I was just curious as to what others throw on their feet for "battle"? I currently rock a pair of desert tan Danner boots but they are beat to death. Any recommendations?

I want to try the Danner Melee but they aren't Berry compliant. I think they are still authorized for US Army but who the F wants a boot made in Vietnam or worse China.

I usually just wear the issue style hot weather tan boots and they are good, nothing special.

What environment do you want them for? rocky? asphalt? cold? wet? hot?

Also how high do you want them? 6in? 8in?

I wear 5.11 tacticals have 6 and 8 inch zip ups, the most comfortable boot my feet have ever been in, downside they are a little pricey. You can catch them at a good price on galls.com every few months though.

Converse. With Side zips. Got the desert tan ones issued to me in the service and then spent my own money on a new pair just recently. Bates and Danner may be "better" but the Converse are affordable, have composite toes and are easy in-and-out.

They also come in wide, useful for me.

I personally like regular old school Military Jungle boots for play & hiking.

Bates, eh.. for the work I do, they last maybe 6months before they are toast.

I've been looking at 5.11 lately, but can't decide on which to get..

I have had Danner and 5.11 as patrol boots. Dangers are great but very pricey. I got a deal on 5.11 atac shield from la police gear and they are fantastic. Light, durable and comfortable. With the composite to and side zip 8" height. Will stick with these now.

Belleville (NOT the Tactical Research line). These were my issued desert pair, and look it. The black boots I had when I first enlisted were Bates, and I have to say I prefer suede mostly because it is less maintenance. No need to worry about scuffs (as much), and less break-in time (suede vs. leather).

5.11 HRT for winter months and bad weather. No breaking time, extremely comfy, very warm an waterproof. Tried the Nike SFB's last summer for a light boot. Got them in the mail and thought they only shipped the socks. Jungle type boot, not waterproof but really is like a running shoe. It's my go to boot for summer and drills.

5.11 offering 20% off use promo 511DAY during checkout by May 12th (sorry for short notice just got the email)

Picked up a pair of the 5.11 Taclite WP boots to replace my worn out Thorogoods. They seem very well made and are very light. I figured with the discount and all the free swag it was worth a shot. Only time will tell as to how they hold up.

I wear mine a lot and keep them polished real well to prevent them from excess damage and the polish does offer some protection, I know one person who says they don't offer enough ankle support for him, (but hes older in his 60's) . On the other hand as an every day user they are perfect for just about every situation, and I think they support my ankles well.

I'm a bit late to the party here, but I've worn 5.11 XPRT boots for what's probably getting close to a year now. I don't own any other footwear as I do not need them. They have gone on short hikes through nature trails, preformed well in that hurricane we had last year, provide great traction, and remain clean. I haven't had any significant, toe-endangering situations that put the polymer kick-toe to the test, but I have the utmost confidence in it. I highly recommend them. They run around 180 a pair, but if you look around I'm sure you can save yourself a few bucks. I really don't understand why kids will buy several pairs of $100+ sneakers when they could buy just one pair of quality boots that will last them 3 years of everyday wear. That's my $.02.