Texas Shooter

Ammo Shortage Almost Upon Us?

If you go to the range a lot or buying large quantities of ammo helps you sleep better at night, by all means have at it. However, I am fascinated by all this talk of the need to stockpile thousands of rounds because of fear of civil unrest. Could there be riots due to a Zimmerman acquittal or some other event? Of course. But even if there were riots as bad as those in the 60s or the LA riots, just how many rounds do you expect to be firing off? For that matter, how many rounds do you think civilians fired off in those riots in self defense? Do people really imagine that they will be going to war in their own towns and that there won't still be legal consequences? If we are talking about an apocalyptic Mad Max type scenario, then sure, you'll probably be glad if you can equip your own private army. But in any realistic scenario I'm guessing that whatever most of us have on hand will be more than sufficient for self defense.

If you go to the range a lot or buying large quantities of ammo helps you sleep better at night, by all means have at it. However, I am fascinated by all this talk of the need to stockpile thousands of rounds because of fear of civil unrest. Could there be riots due to a Zimmerman acquittal or some other event? Of course. But even if there were riots as bad as those in the 60s or the LA riots, just how many rounds do you expect to be firing off? For that matter, how many rounds do you think civilians fired off in those riots in self defense? Do people really imagine that they will be going to war in their own towns and that there won't still be legal consequences? If we are talking about an apocalyptic Mad Max type scenario, then sure, you'll probably be glad if you can equip your own private army. But in any realistic scenario I'm guessing that whatever most of us have on hand will be more than sufficient for self defense.

I agree with your assessment, however from what I've read and researched, the unrest (stocking-up of ammo) is not necessarily because of an upcoming zombie apocalypse, but more so the fear of ammo sales being outlawed or restricted in some way. Something along the lines of "hey, you're not allowed to buy anymore ammo, however we're not going to take what you already have".

Others can chime in with their thoughts as well.

Well I just called Tommy Morris's shop. He is an ammo distributor that supplies most of the le agencies and what not in this area. The guy has a warehouse of ammo. I asked for a price on a case and the guys exact words were. "first of all are you a cop, from an agency, shop or anything like that?" I said "no." The then said "well I'm guess you been calling around because their isn't any." I said "what do you mean there isnt any." He said "there is a nationwide shortage." Then he said "he had none he could sell me." Said "in a month they are suppose to get a container of PCM but thats not 100%."

I'm gonna stop by and talk to Tommy himself because he always takes are of the local guys from his town. The guy on the phone wasn't him.

Can you give me his shop info since he sells to LE

223 5.56 ammo shortage is no joke. We are seeing either higher prices with each shipment, or none available to order.

As far as hording, most of us would like to just be able to get through a shortage without feeling too big of a pinch/making us stop shooting all together.

223 5.56 ammo shortage is no joke. We are seeing either higher prices with each shipment, or none available to order.

As far as hording, most of us would like to just be able to get through a shortage without feeling too big of a pinch/making us stop shooting all together.

Ironically, I just got into .223/5.56 because I figured it was a cheap, common caliber, opting out of 7.62x39, which, though cheaper, didn't give me the longer range I wanted (as it would have been a mini30 I purchased instead.)

I suppose I should stop getting guns for this reason. I buy an 8mm, and surplus stocks of that dry up, I buy 5.56, and there's a shortage/panic of shortage that drives up prices. XD.

I agree with your assessment, however from what I've read and researched, the unrest (stocking-up of ammo) is not necessarily because of an upcoming zombie apocalypse, but more so the fear of ammo sales being outlawed or restricted in some way. Something along the lines of "hey, you're not allowed to buy anymore ammo, however we're not going to take what you already have".

Others can chime in with their thoughts as well.

Agreed. PDM can act all high and mighty with his assessment of other gun owners but it's ridiculous.

Do you know many of us stock up when things are on sale just to save money over time. Also there are some members here that will go through well over a thousand a month of center-fire alone, any many the same if not more of rim-fire.

I know I stock up to save money and I'll use it, and I also stock up on components being I reload so having 15k-20k of 22LR's on hand isn't out of the norm, and neither is having 5k or more of the center-fire calibers I shoot.

By the way, I sleep very well at night. lol

Sorry if I came off sounding like a tool -- I didn't mean to. I totally understand the desire to stock up, particularly if prices are rising and you want to save some $$ and need the ammo for recreational shooting. It's just that in some of the posts it seems that people express the need to have a stockpile of thousands upon thousands of rounds in anticipation of some sort of civil unrest or think that the feared shortage is a result of a government conspiracy. I just find that to be a bit "tinfoil hatish" for lack of a better adjective. But to each his own.

In all honesty it's just a matter of time before our economy collapses. Between wars, welfare and send our jobs away it's bound to happen. On what level our shitstorm will be we don't know. But either way I can afford it now so I'll stock up now. I'd say we can avoid it but I don't see it happening. Obama and Romney just don't have it in em and voting for Ron Paul is like giving Obama a vote. (I'll still be voting for Ron Paul just out of principle.)

Sorry if I came off sounding like a tool -- I didn't mean to. I totally understand the desire to stock up, particularly if prices are rising and you want to save some $$ and need the ammo for recreational shooting. It's just that in some of the posts it seems that people express the need to have a stockpile of thousands upon thousands of rounds in anticipation of some sort of civil unrest or think that the feared shortage is a result of a government conspiracy. I just find that to be a bit "tinfoil hatish" for lack of a better adjective. But to each his own.

no hard feelings

it's just some people look at the world differently

I took a ride through down-town Port au Prince Haiti and this is a SHTF situation EVERYDAY.

Totally agree with you. People act like they're going to be in some firefight if the economy collapses. The economy collapsed in 1929 and life went on.

I've started to play golf again. I'm more concerned about being able to hit the fairway consistently than I am about zombies.

There's a discussion going on at Glock Talk about ammo hoarding. One of the members posted that 223/556 is gone from the distribution channels. Once it's gone in the stores, that's it.

I'm starting to stock up as best I can, especially since I just joined the 223/556 party. So, are any of you hoarding ammo? Do you feel the ammo shortage is for real or just a bit overblown?

From the discussion on Glock Talk:

Quote:

Originally Posted by racer88 viewpost.gif

Good stuff so far. I keep hearing that .223 is all gone. I saw some at walmart yesterday. And, I can get it online easily. Although, the price has definitely gone up.

You are about to get caught in a trap. People who used this method of deciding on shortages in 2008 are the ones in 2009 whining where did all the ammo go.

People like Bluestreakfl and I are up the food chain from the regular consumer. When we say there is no ammo we are not talking about ammo in your LGS or a on line dealer.

That ammo has already been sold to that dealer and is no longer available wholesale. In other words it does not count.

We are talking about ammo to replace that ammo once it has been sold. This is the shortage. By the time you see empty shelves at the store it is a late sign of a shortage.

The only reason there is any 223\556 ammo in any store is because tons of it was dumped on the surplus market in the last two years. It is gone now except in some LGS and a few on line retailers.

You can read more here

This...a guy said...