Texas Shooter

Ammo Shortage Almost Upon Us?

I'm at Walmart now and they are totally out of .223/5.56. The guy was actually stocking the case while I was there and I asked what the deal was. He said what you is what you get. None in the back and it doesn't seem like more is coming for a while.

Even DHS is stockpiling... 450mil rounds of .40HP, 175mil rounds of 5.56... Some think it is to prepare for some kind of civil unrest that they see coming. Others think it is just a smart investment, buy now while its lower in price, and if stored properly can last for decades.

It's not that crazy when you think about it. Obama doesn't get re-elected, Zimmerman found not guilty could be the fuel needed to start a race riot/ or new civil war.

Even DHS is stockpiling... 450mil rounds of .40HP, 175mil rounds of 5.56... Some think it is to prepare for some kind of civil unrest that they see coming. Others think it is just a smart investment, buy now while its lower in price, and if stored properly can last for decades.

This is a contract over several years and was done to lock in a price. If you do the math it comes out to about 5-6K rds per armed officer. Qualification and training eat about 1000 rds per officer per year. Throw in basic training for recruits, advanced training, etc all that ammo doesn't seem like that much.

To my experience most ammo or primer shortages are self induced. People see a thread like this or hear some bs rumor about something and instead of buying 2 people buy 20.

I dunno where you guys shop or what your shopping for, but there is $400 for 1k rounds of .308 all over the internet and 5.56 for expensive but still stocked as well?

I've seen a lot of 5.56 out of stock as of late, more than one would expect for such a common caliber. It can still be obtained without too much work, but I believe it seems worse than it is since people are used to practically tripping over the stuff due to how common it was.

And just what do you guys plan on doing with all this ammo? Civil unrest? Going to start shooting people?

Well no, but for people like me who are on a somewhat limited budget, this sort of sucks. I just want ammo for shooting paper, not people.

Well no, but for people like me who are on a somewhat limited budget, this sort of sucks. I just want ammo for shooting paper, not people.

Some people can't sleep if they have less than 5000 rounds in their house.

The sky is falling! Martial law is coming! The economy is collapsing! I need to have at least 100,000 rounds on hand, more than I can shoot in a decade! What a bunch of looney tunes.

Really?

First off, nobody said 100,000 rounds. Second, everyone buys ammo in bulk because it's cheaper. Third, you DO realize that civil unrest is quite common. Just ask any older gentlemen that was around during the 60s in Newark.

I can understand the frustration of ammo prices climbing. Buying guns are relatively cheap, buying the ammo to feed them isn't. I have 20 cases of 12g to get me through the summer, hope it's enough! If not, I'll be doing more drag racing instead.

I try to keep at least 1000 rounds on-hand of the different calipers I use, except for 12g, that I keep a lot of around. If my wife decides to do more steel shooting with me then I guess I'll be buying even more ammo. Good thing she has a race car too, might be cheaper than ammo!

Really?

First off, nobody said 100,000 rounds. Second, everyone buys ammo in bulk because it's cheaper. Third, you DO realize that civil unrest is quite common. Just ask any older gentlemen that was around during the 60s in Newark.

I lived in a town that bordered Newark and we stood on the main road that led into Newark and cheered as the tanks and armor went into Newark. Everyone that owned a gun keep it by their bedside at night. I was 14 at the time and remember it all too well.

I dunno where you guys shop or what your shopping for, but there is $400 for 1k rounds of .308 all over the internet and 5.56 for expensive but still stocked as well?

That is if you want the cheap crap like Wolf. The 308 I bought for $450 per 500 was Federal Match!

That is if you want the cheap crap like Wolf. The 308 I bought for $450 per 500 was Federal Match!

You're concerned about ammo availability because you paid less than a buck a round for ammo that usually runs a buck a round? I think you might be overly concerned.

Well I just called Tommy Morris's shop. He is an ammo distributor that supplies most of the le agencies and what not in this area. The guy has a warehouse of ammo. I asked for a price on a case and the guys exact words were. "first of all are you a cop, from an agency, shop or anything like that?" I said "no." The then said "well I'm guess you been calling around because their isn't any." I said "what do you mean there isnt any." He said "there is a nationwide shortage." Then he said "he had none he could sell me." Said "in a month they are suppose to get a container of PCM but thats not 100%."

I'm gonna stop by and talk to Tommy himself because he always takes are of the local guys from his town. The guy on the phone wasn't him.