panteramatt

Law on home intrusion?

I just read this and it reminded me of what an old friend who is a detective in "unsaid" township in North Jersey.. he said: "If you do use your gun to protect your family, don't shoot to maim, shoot to kill because if this crook lives through the shooting, him and his family and everyone he knows in NJ will come after you to sue you and when he shows up crippled to court in this liberal state of NJ, guess who's fault it will be? Not the criminal, thats for sure!"

:facepalm: What a sad state we live in that it comes down to this... ugh

Why would you shoot to maim?

Center mass until one of the following conditions is met:

a) Threat stops being a threat

b) You run out of ammo

IMO, anyway.

You walk into my house when you know my family is there and your dead. You walk in during the day and you think they are gone and it's just me? You will have a HK P30 pointed at you until the police get there or you "try" and leave. There are no other scenarios.

what if the unarmed home intruder walks upstairs where your family is & walk slowly towards you saying nothing?

Are you going to shoot him?

YES..

If I point a loaded gun at someone and tell them aggressively to "get on the friggin ground" and they continue to walk towards me something instantly occurs...

I am genuinely afraid for my life..

because armed or not.. that individual is obviously out of their mind.. and I am not waiting around to find out just how crazy they are...

YES..

If I point a loaded gun at someone and tell them aggressively to "get on the friggin ground" and they continue to walk towards me something instantly occurs...

I am genuinely afraid for my life..

because armed or not.. that individual is obviously out of their mind.. and I am not waiting around to find out just how crazy they are...

You couldn't possibly be in fear for your life if the intruder is unarmed unless you are a 90 year old 4 foot high woman facing a 6 foot intruder.

You walk into my house when you know my family is there and your dead. You walk in during the day and you think they are gone and it's just me? You will have a HK P30 pointed at you until the police get there or you "try" and leave. There are no other scenarios.

I hope you like facing criminal charges for shooting an unarmed suspect & all the wrongful death lawsuits putting you in the poor house. Even officiers can not shoot unarmed suspects running away.

That doesn't make sense. How can you respectfully take someones life?

Edit: I think I know what you mean. My point is its just callous and excessive to kill someone over a tv or such

Personally, I can't take someone's live over replacable property. This reminds me of road rage. In the heat of the moment, people do stupid things. Mentally prepared on what you would do in an emergency, so you don't make studpid decisions haunting you for the rest of your life.

You couldn't possibly be in fear for your life if the intruder is unarmed unless you are a 90 year old 4 foot high woman facing a 6 foot intruder.

did you not see the threat with the lunatic that ate off part of the mans face?

ever gotten in a fight with someone on "hard" drugs.. I have.. It is very hard to hurt someone (defend yourself) when someone is so high they have no idea what planet they are on...

"I pointed a gun at him.,. clear as could be.. I ordered him to stop advancing, and told him I would shoot.. but he kept coming towards me.. I did not know if he had a knife.. a gun.. or was just completely insane.. but his aggressive posture and lack of concern over a gun being pointed at him caused me to fear for my life.. my families life.. so I fired to stop the threat.."

the end..

ever gotten in a fight with someone on "hard" drugs.. I have.. It is very hard to hurt someone (defend yourself) when someone is so high they have no idea what planet they are on...

"I pointed a gun at him.,. clear as could be.. I ordered him to stop advancing, and told him I would shoot.. but he kept coming towards me.. I did not know if he had a knife.. a gun.. or was just completely insane.. but his aggressive posture and lack of concern over a gun being pointed at him caused me to fear for my life.. my families life.. so I fired to stop the threat.."

the end..

fair enough. it's still a grey area. in darkness, confusion, & little time to reflect, things can go south fast.

Personally, I can't take someone's live over replacable property. This reminds me of road rage. In the heat of the moment, people do stupid things. Mentally prepared on what you would do in an emergency, so you don't make studpid decisions haunting you for the rest of your life.

Actually its the criminal that has made the STUPID decision, and deemed his life was of no value by committing a criminal act and by his total disregard of the law.

Actually its the criminal that has made the STUPID decision, and deemed his life was of no value by committing a criminal act and by his total disregard of the law.

Does anyone really feel good about blowing away a 14 year old kid trying to steal your TV in order to feed his family?

Legality? Morality? It's easy to punish & harder to forgive.

Does anyone really feel good about blowing away a 14 year old kid trying to steal your TV in order to feed his family?

A 14 year old can kill you just fine. Their age has nothing to do with being a threat. It's real hard to tell the difference between a desperate kid trying to pay for their next meal and a strung out 14 year old junkie who would rather stab you than get the police called on them. Mainly because it's just different kinds of desperate. Think back to the last time you got startled in your home by someone who is supposed ot be there. For that brief moment, you know nothing about who it is and that's what sets you off. Now stretch that out for the entire encounter. You can't tell just from looking at them. You point a gun at them and tell them to get on the ground, they might sort themselves out in that situation. If the kid comes at you, they have tagged themselves as the the dangerous kind of 14 year old.

http://latimesblogs....ang-rivals.html

http://www.huffingto..._n_1528791.html

http://www.foxnews.c...abbed-to-death/

http://www.theblaze....-hanging-death/

a 14 year old stealing my stuff is no different than a 30 year old stealing it.. and if he was really "in need of food" he could go be on welfare like everyone else..

criminals are younger.. and harder as time goes on.. in fact the young ones are more dangerous..

they have yet to develop fear.. and in many cases.. are committing crimes to prove they are "tough".. so while they are there stealing your TV don't be surprised if you get shot 10 times while sleeping..

Are you going to stop and ask the person which one it was? Or do you kill first then worry about it? What do you think the cops will say about a dude with 2-3 bullet holes in his back after "trying" to leave?

A 14 year old can kill you just fine. Their age has nothing to do with being a threat. It's real hard to tell the difference between a desperate kid trying to pay for their next meal and a strung out 14 year old junkie who would rather stab you than get the police called on them. Mainly because it's just different kinds of desperate. Think back to the last time you got startled in your home by someone who is supposed ot be there. For that brief moment, you know nothing about who it is and that's what sets you off. Now stretch that out for the entire encounter. You can't tell just from looking at them. You point a gun at them and tell them to get on the ground, they might sort themselves out in that situation. If the kid comes at you, they have tagged themselves as the the dangerous kind of 14 year old.

I agree with you 100% There seems to be no distinction for some people here as it seems they would kill regardless.

There are several things to consider with your scenario.

It is very unlikely that a 14 year old is stealing your TV in order to feed his family,more likely to feed a habit or participate in some gang initiation according to some statistics.

Now every gun owner that is put into such a scenario has several decisions to make, made even more difficult by New Jersey's weak castle laws.

Decide a television is not worth a human life and usher the young man out the door but stand a good chance he'll be back with his friends because you were a push over?

Decide that he is an imminent threat to you,your family,your belongings,your way of life and shoot him center mass so as not to leave any doubt as to your convictions?.Now you have to deal with the system, which will eat up your time,resources,emotions to start with and hope a judge and jury will deem it a righteous kill. But it's not over yet because in NJ you can still be sued civilly for wrongful death...... so now we all have to find our individual threshold of what we can live with in such a situation.Like our choices in firearms or ammo, there is no right answer just comfort levels IMO.

Harry....come on, enough with the what if's.

There was more than sufficient info and legal statutes cited to make your decision if not easier,at least clearer if a home invasion occurs.

In my mind it's simple....protecting family and self is paramount...home and property can be replaced and what ever the outcome,there will inevitably be costs, whether to life,freedoms,property,emotions,resources and/or confidence in self or our justice system.

We all have to make our own choices and then be prepared to live with it.

Damn, for a minute there I thought you were talking to me.. ;)

I hope you like facing criminal charges for shooting an unarmed suspect & all the wrongful death lawsuits putting you in the poor house. Even officiers can not shoot unarmed suspects running away.

Are you fukin kidding me? I would assume every time that they are carrying some sort of weapon! If they are dumb enough to come into my house than that's their problem. I would rather deal with what comes after than say what if I would have!

Are you fukin kidding me? I would assume every time that they are carrying some sort of weapon! If they are dumb enough to come into my house than that's their problem. I would rather deal with what comes after than say what if I would have!

Ron, while I hear you if someone is in your house you should have the right but to shoot someone in the back, well lets just say they are no longer a threat and you probably won't like being big bubba's main squeeze for a number of years.. Just sayin..

Ron, while I hear you if someone is in your house you should have the right but to shoot someone in the back, well lets just say they are no longer a threat and you probably won't like being big bubba's main squeeze for a number of years.. Just sayin..

I never said I would shoot anyone in the back. I would only do it if I felt there was a threat. At 6'2" and solid 275 not much scares me other than a threat to my family. This is also why I said I would hold anyone until the police get there if practical.

I guess now I know libtards either own guns or like to stalk gun owners on forums!

I have noticed there are a few of those libtards here. That is a good heads up that there are enemies everywhere that would like to take what few rights you have in New Jersey away.

I hear ya, I really wish we did have a better Castle Doctrine in the PR of NJ..

I would prefer a better Castle Doctrine over CCW "shall issue" in NJ. I think it would be easier to pass too, but that is not the reason for my preference. And we need to be free of lawsuits from the bad guys family, ex-girlfriends and his Facebook friends. The lawyers are the only ones who make out.

Under the current laws even if you are not criminally charged the civil lawsuits will bury you.

I would prefer a better Castle Doctrine over CCW "shall issue" in NJ. I think it would be easier to pass too, but that is not the reason for my preference. And we need to be free of lawsuits from the bad guys family, ex-girlfriends and his Facebook friends. The lawyers are the only ones who make out.

Under the current laws even if you are not criminally charged the civil lawsuits will bury you.

+1

the end..

+100

Ditto to that.

IF the time ever comes where I find myself in a home defense situation I won't be thinking about this thread or all the NJ statutes and laws... and all the gray areas of law or legal debate. I will be thinking about the safety of my family and myself. I am not going to try and analyze the actions of an intruder as to why or how or what if. Sometimes in life mistakes can happen... like that 22 year old drunk woman in Colorado entering someones home in the middle of the night. Oops she made a mistake. (She also could have been driving drunk and had an accident and killed a couple of people, but fortunately that part didn't happen.) The the point is, I'm not responsible for all the choices other people make. For the most part, if someone enters my home uninvited in the middle of the night they had better keep their distance, identify themselves and make no sudden or threatening movements.

That's the best I can do.

I guess now I know libtards either own guns or like to stalk gun owners on forums!

You must be 10 years old or something to descend into this level of immaturity of name calling & making assumptions of users online you have no idea about.

If you don't agree with another person's opinion, that is fine but please show some respect for others.

You must be 10 years old or something to descend into this level of immaturity of name calling & making assumptions of users online you have no idea about.

If you don't agree with another person's opinion, that is fine but please show some respect for others.

Obviously if you own a gun you're only supposed to want to kill people in your house :facepalm:

How do you know of who I speak? Perhaps the MSNBC board suits you better.