A-Tech

Another thread about local crime

My fiance works in Linden and sometimes she works a late shift, leaving at 11pm or later. She stays pretty knowledgeable about what's going on around her store. A few months ago, she could hear gun shots from within the store, followed by a flood of police cars. A couple days later it happened again, and apparently there was some kind of armed robbery involved. Her store has been robbed a couple times by some really desperate, drug addict, type of guys. Never while she was there though.

Well, you may or may not have read/heard about the 18yr girl who just graduated high school that was killed at gun point by unknown thug. Very unexpected and tragic. This happened a couple blocks from her store.

Just 2 nights ago there was another murder a few blocks from her store. Needless to say she is now taking all precautions necessary to keep safe. She has her Kimber Pepper Blaster II with her and ready at all times. She is never alone when walking into work, or walking to her car. She doesn't stop on her way home either.

The point of this is to warn anyone else in the area of the rising amount of crimes lately. I've been hearing more and more. I would love to leave this state, like most else here. Unfortunately, job transfers are unlikely now.

Eyes and ears people. Stay alert and aware of your surroundings, because people suck. Especially the desperate ones.

Right here in sleepy Monroe, there has been a spate of burglaries and push in robberies even within the so called secure gated communities. So it's not just a urban issue.

Where does your Fiancee work? I live in Linden - right on Wood Ave. This happened a block up and a block over from my place :(

If she needs an emergency place to run to, let me know.

She's a manager at the Walgreens. Thanks man.

Crime can and will happen anywhere at any time. Definitely need to keep all precautions.

Make sure your GF keeps an eye out for any suspecious activities. Most crimes are preplanned.

Yea, she's well aware of all that. She's pretty well versed with those things. It's just a little hard to contain my worry about everything around there. It's never really been a GOOD area. As of late, it's really only gotten worse (what hasn't?). Like you said, most crimes are pre-planned. It only takes a couple of daily routines to get you held up, or worse.

Ya once you get comfortable you're 80% more likly to open yourself up to crime. Staying alert and aware of your surroundings pays in folds. I make a game of it. Counting or at least noticing each person in the room I walk into (Costco is a pain). Never sitting with my back to the door. Know my nearest exits. and the list goes on.

Oh - that's up the road a ways - how did she hear the shots from over there?

I think you may have misunderstood me. She heard shots fired a few months back during/after some kind of robbery (somewhere from the Taco Bell area on St. George's Ave), not a few nights ago when the young woman was killed.

Perhaps there was more than one shooting going on.

I just don't understand why we cant protect ourselves. If a lot of people started carying I think some of this crazy crap would stop. If the neighborhood tough guy, gang banger, whatever.. knew people might shoot back he may reconsider.

Ken

Sigh another one....

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/07/police_investigating_body_hand.html

-e2d6c70890004d72.jpg

-34ec33791fe88c59.jpg

A body was discovered in a pickup truck in a Sam's Club parking lot in Linden around 6:30 p.m. today, authorities said.

Officers were seen pulling a handgun from the car after they broke into the truck through the passenger's side and then opened the driver's door.

A Sam's Club employee called police around 6:20 p.m. after a shopper pulled into the parking lot and smelled what was described as a "garbage"-like odor, according to Linden Lt. James Sarnicki. The scene is under investigation, he said, and it is still undetermined if foul play has a role.

Police tape stretched around the vehicle. Vehicles from the Union County Medical Examiner's Office and the Union County Sheriff's Office were on the scene, as well as Linden police.

The four-door gray Dodge pickup had tinted windows and a Tennessee specialty license plate with the word "PROTECT" on it, and a liquid dripped from the driver's side door.

About a dozen bystanders were kept about 50 feet from the taped-off crime scene and watched an investigator wearing blue gloves walk around the scene taking pictures.

Maria Ayales, 48, of Elizabeth speculated at the the crime scene.

"It scares me, it feels like it's not safe." she said. "Anything is possible."