Underdog

Water all around and none to drink...

With all of the .22LR handguns available, why is it next to impossible to find a quality all-metal semi-auto tactical handgun in .22LR with around a 3 to 3.5-inch barrel in single action (or perhaps with a striker fired action) that is NOT made of pot metal and that is reliable, versatile with various .22 rounds, and available at a competitive price. The shortest Ruger Mark II/III, I believe, comes in at about 4 1/2 inches at the shortest barrel length, and, although it would be nice, it doesn't exactly fit the idea of a tactical model, but rather one for target practice. Cleaning it is not such a big deal, but a design similar to a Glock or Beretta breakdown would be much nicer.

The Ruger SR22 would be a compromised possibility, but the trigger just doesn't cut it. The barrel would be fine up to about 4 inches if that would open up more options...

A Bersa Model 22/23 might also work.

Can I ask why it needs to be all metal? .22 is more than a light enough round that any polymer frame pistol will be more than manageable. What's your price range? I know you want an all metal gun, but the Sig Mosquito may fit most of your other requirements if you're willing to sacrifice that steel frame.

Don't fret, there's actually hope! There's always the CZ kadet, sig 226 conversion, a 1911 with a quality 22 conversion slide and the Beretta with factory conversion as options. all will be made of quality material with top notch craftsmanship. No pot metal, polymer or shoddy construction.

Can I ask why it needs to be all metal? .22 is more than a light enough round that any polymer frame pistol will be more than manageable. What's your price range? I know you want an all metal gun, but the Sig Mosquito may fit most of your other requirements if you're willing to sacrifice that steel frame.

I heard it could be finicky with ammo?

I heard it could be finicky with ammo?

I have heard that both the Mosquito and the CZ are finicky as well. I just really like the feel of an all-metal gun, and at the very least, I do not like the anything that is pot metal.

I have heard that both the Mosquito and the CZ are finicky.

Mosquito is very, very bad. I get a lot of students that buy that for a first semi because it is light, the jam's never end and each gun has it's one favorite ammo. Stay away.

I don't think you will be able to find a .22 pistol with traditional slide design where the slide is made of steel instead of zinc-- its just really heavy. Is that what you are looking for?

That's probably the main problem. The only all-steel ones I am familiar with are the Ruger Marks, the CZ Kadet, and the Bersa 23, which is reliable, but prefers quality ammo.

With all of the .22LR handguns available, why is it next to impossible to find a quality all-metal semi-auto tactical handgun in .22LR with around a 3 to 3.5-inch barrel in single action (or perhaps with a striker fired action) that is NOT made of pot metal and that is reliable, versatile with various .22 rounds, and available at a competitive price. The shortest Ruger Mark II/III, I believe, comes in at about 4 1/2 inches at the shortest barrel length, and, although it would be nice, it doesn't exactly fit the idea of a tactical model, but rather one for target practice. Cleaning it is not such a big deal, but a design similar to a Glock or Beretta breakdown would be much nicer.

A Ruger MK III with a 4.5 inch barrel has a total length of 8.5 inches. That is barely 1.5 inches longer then most pistols with a 3.5 inch barrel. Why does it need to be all medal? A 22/45 with threaded barrel seems like it a pretty good fit. I'd imagine if I had a suppressor it would be pretty darn 'tactical'...

Yes, a short 22/45 would probably be the best compromise, but again, its still not what I am looking for. Robot Hell hit the nail on the head and in conjunction with the additional costs involved in producing an all-metal gun, its unlikely I will find one. Take Ruger for example, with its new polymer SR22 everyone one of those it sells will probably provide them with a substantial savings over every Mark III that is sold given that they come in roughly at around the same selling price.

The only thing that seems to come close to what I am trying to find is an older all-steel Bersa model 23, and it won't be in stainless, and, although reliable it has to be fed with high velocity and heavy 22s to work the action. And, that is out of production and I would have to settle for a new alloy version (which is still not polymer) but probably pot metalish.

If Ruger improved the trigger on the SR22, it would probably do the job, and perhaps a S&W M&P might work, but again, they aren't what I want which is pretty much as elusive as Cooper's Scout Rifle.

With the popularity of 22s, I wish one of the companies would put some thought into this. I should just stick with an all-steel revolver, I guess.

22LR revolver Joe!

All, almost all, 22LR blow back pistols have ammo preferences.

And Anthony - I must have had the rare Mosquito that did well with any high velocity ammo.

But I ditches it as it served no real purpose for me, not defense and not as good a plinker as other pistols I have.

22LR revolver Joe!

All, almost all, 22LR blow back pistols have ammo preferences.

And Anthony - I must have had the rare Mosquito that did well with any high velocity ammo.

But I ditches it as it served no real purpose for me, not defense and not as good a plinker as other pistols I have.

Yes, a revolver is nice, but it isn't what I am looking for. I would consider a Ruger LCR .22LR, though, if I could get a larger grip for it. A Bersa or an M&P 22 seem to be the closest to what I am looking for. Maybe I should open up a manufacturing plant in my garage and design what I am looking for...

The only pistol that comes close (that I'm aware of) is the Beretta 87 Cheetah.

All metal construction, no pot metal. 3.8" barrel. Accepts 10 round mags from the 87 Target model.

I've been drooling over one for two years now, but can't justify shelling out over $700 for yet another 22 pistol