Little Red Rooster

1911 question

It's time I got a 1911. I've always loved the way they look and the history behind them is awesome. Looking to spend b/w $600 and $800. I've done some research in that price point and thinking either the STI Spartan IV or the Springfield Mil spec. Both in .45

Thoughts, experiences with either, other suggestions?? Thanks!

Ruger SR1911, if you can find one. They offer a lot of value for the price point.

The only problem I have with Kimbers (and yes, I do own one) is that "stoopid" swartz safety. It adds a Rube Goldberg solution to a very simple problem. It is easy to damage the push rod for the firing pin block when you reassemble the gun, because it's connected to the grip safety, which is easy to engage when putting the slide back on the pistol. I removed mine and put in a titanium firing pin/Wolff heavy duty return spring to make it drop safe (same configuration that's in my DW CBOB).

I have a range officer and love it though right now I seem to developed a bit of a flinch so we are not on best terms. It is still a solid gun fully adjustable sights match grade barrel and I paid 825 though if you look around you might be able todo better on the price

Ok so it looks like while I wait for these permits to come - I am going to have to make the decision between the following for my first 1911: STI Spartan IV, Springfield Milspec, Springfield Range Officer, Kimber Custom II, Ruger SR1911, and possibly the Remington 1911 R1 (althought I haven't found many info or reviews on the Remington, but I like the classic look and the $699 price).

As someone asked before whether I was trying to stray towards the newer looks or the classic - I'd have to say the classic style as it's more about the history of this handgun for me.

Thanks again for all the input. I appreciate it.

Why the Spartan in 4" when all the others are full-size 5" guns? Of those listed, I'd have to go for the STI. The Rugers look nice, but no history on them as yet. The Spartan has been around and you'd be hard-pressed to find a bad review. Get the 5".

Adios,

PIzza Bob

I am glad to hear all the good reviews on the spartan i think that is going to be my next gun except in 9 for steel and single stack uspsa and i would deff go with the 5" unless it is also going to be a carry gun (HAHA I crack myslef up a carry gun in nj for a civvie :))

I have an STI Spartan in 9mm and a Sig 1911 in 45. I love both guns but I have to say the STI has become my favorite gun. I use it for steel and USPSA minor if I don't have any 45 ammo. You cannot go wrong with this pistol and the price is at your low range for a lot of gun. You will most likely end up buying more than one so just don't fight it and accept it.

1911's are crazy addictive. I love both the one I currently shoot (Kimber Custom Target II 9mm) and the one I'm building. If you would like to shoot the Kimber, drop me a line. I have only shot a couple of other ones, a Colt that I thought was lame, and the other day an Ed Brown, which was amazing. A little out of your stated (and mine as well) price range at about 2500. Worth every penny if you ask me. I have heard good things about the Rock Island Armory guns. Nice price if you can get past the country of origin. Same with the Springfields. My money would be on the Springfield if I were to go that route.

C

Pizza Bob - also, that's a very valid point with the Spartan IV versus the V. I definitely want the full size, classic model so I would have to go with the 5" as you suggested. For some reason the IV just appealed to me visually more than the V even though they're similar.

Pizza Bob - also, that's a very valid point with the Spartan IV versus the V. I definitely want the full size, classic model so I would have to go with the 5" as you suggested. For some reason the IV just appealed to me visually more than the V even though they're similar.

They're identical except for barrel length. The 4" would be the equivalent of the Commander (although actual Commander length is 4.25"). It was just that all the others you listed were full-size so it was curious that you designated the 4" for the STI.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I have both STI and Springfield, but not the models under consideration. In my opinion the fit and finish on the STI is far superior. It's a toss up whether I prefer it or my Dan Wessons, but I am a Dan Wesson addict!

Ok. It looked to me (off STI website) that the gun sights were different, but that's about it. Like the V has adjustable and the IV doesn't. Maybe I'm wrong.

You're right. The large picture and the specs for the Spartan IV show/call for a fixed rear sight. However, the thumbnail pic in the index shows the Spartan IV with the adjustable rear. I also noted that the MSRP of both models is the same. I would surmise that either gun could be had with the rear sight of your choice, but they are probably produced for stock as shown. It would require a special order. I waited 13 weeks for my STI, but Spartans may be quicker.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

This may be a stupid question - but how do you order an STI? There's no "locate dealer" spot on their site which must mean you have to order directly from them? If so, how's that done... Do I have to call and speak with them on the phone?

Your LGS can order from a distributer but I found the best way to go was through Brazos Custom Gunworks In Morgan, TX. They are a prime dealer, have lots of stock and excellent price and service. They shipped to my local FFL and it was easy.

http://brazoscustom.com/Home.htm

http://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Default.aspx

Shooters connection is a dealer

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/

Dawson is a dealer as well who "tunes" several guns before they leave his shop for a few extra bucks.

I have personally purchased from the above 2 and Brazos so buy with confidence.

Tanner's in Bucks County is now stocking some STI's. I got mine from Oak Hill Ent, LLC in Ulster, PA. Owned by John Unruh who is an active IDPA shooter. He usually has a good stock of STI's or, with a deposit, will order it for you. Good guy to deal with.

Adios,

Pizza Bob