NJDrew1

NJ Pharmacist Pulls Gun on Thief

I haven't heard of a lot of "sole proprietorship" pharmacies lately. Let alone any sort of business. My assumption is that it is a corp or an LLC. He may not be an owner, he may be an employee. If he is an "owner," he is a shareholder, only a moron would run a pharmacy as a sole proprietorship.

There are a significant amount of pharmacies and other small businesses that are sole proprietorships. Additionally, an LLC can be created as Sole Proprietorship. Where do you get your information?

There are a significant amount of pharmacies and other small businesses that are sole proprietorships. Additionally, an LLC can be created as Sole Proprietorship. Where do you get your information?

What you're thinking of is a Single Member LLC, which functions like a Sole Proprieter for tax purposes but is more like a corporation for liability purposes.

What you're thinking of is a Single Member LLC, which functions like a Sole Proprieter for tax purposes but is more like a corporation for liability purposes.

Hm. I was going to ask if you were mistaken, but then I looked at my articles of incorporation and sure enough, single member LLC. I don't know why i remembered it as sole proprietor.

But either way, one person owning a corporation. Looked into it deeper and i have been seeing how people with no assets open businesses like pharmacies as sole proprietors so they are better eligible for loans then convert to LLCs later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some misinformation on policeone.com. http://www.policeone.com/patrol-issues/articles/5980429-NJ-pharmacist-fires-gun-to-foil-robbery/

Only leo's can comment there so I couldn't correct them.

In order to purchase a pistol in NJ, one needs an FID Card (Firearms Identificaton Card) AND a permit to purchase a handgun. Rifles and Shotguns don't need permits only an FID. To get an FID, one must pass a State Police background check, interview with local PD, and pscyh questionaire, in addition to references, etc. EVEN COPS must go thru this process to PURCHASE FIREARMS. Each time you want a permit to purchase (Only 3 issued at a time, one per handgun) you have to go thru another background check. This state is ASSININE and ARCHAIC in its gun laws.

At least he got the last sentence right.

in the last vid we had of the security guard he was shooting as the wood bee thieves were running out the door?

While their running away how do you know if they are going to take cover and shoot back? I dont think i would want to give them the chance you start the altercation it needs to be finished while you are still in sight..

WTF is going on?? To be honest, I feel like the authorities have something in store for this guy. I'm surprised he hasn't been charged yet. I'm ALL FOR our 2nd amendment rights and our right to defend self and property, but in the state of NJ, you can't even protect property. The fact that the pharmacist pulled his gun out after the robber was fleeing, chased a fleeing subject, and fired 5 rounds in public at a FLEEING suspect does not sit well with me. IMO, I think this event will be used to in the effort for more gun control.... This incident is nothing but bad for us gun advocates.... The irresponsibility this person showed will be used against us I fear. Think about it. An educated ex military man used poor judgement, fired 5 rounds and did not hit his target with one of them. I can see the media headlines now. "If an educated ex military man is too irresponsible to own a gun, than regular civilian folks shouldn't own them either."

Just my .02 cents

Some misinformation on policeone.com. http://www.policeone.com/patrol-issues/articles/5980429-NJ-pharmacist-fires-gun-to-foil-robbery/ Only leo's can comment there so I couldn't correct them.
In order to purchase a pistol in NJ, one needs an FID Card (Firearms Identificaton Card) AND a permit to purchase a handgun. Rifles and Shotguns don't need permits only an FID. To get an FID, one must pass a State Police background check, interview with local PD, and pscyh questionaire, in addition to references, etc. EVEN COPS must go thru this process to PURCHASE FIREARMS. Each time you want a permit to purchase (Only 3 issued at a time, one per handgun) you have to go thru another background check. This state is ASSININE and ARCHAIC in its gun laws.

At least he got the last sentence right.

What's incorrect? I highlighted what I thought was incorrect in bold but those statements don't change the context of the post. Nor does the post really have anything to do with the issue at hand.

The fact that the pharmacist pulled his gun out after the robber was fleeing, chased a fleeing subject, and fired 5 rounds in public at a FLEEING suspect does not sit well with me.

Think about it. An educated ex military man used poor judgement, fired 5 rounds and did not hit his target with one of them.

Those two statements are not known facts. The articles I've seen say the pharmacist pulled out his weapon when the robber was at the counter and reached for what looked like a handgun in his waistband. We also don't know when the robber started to flee relative to the pharmacist firing his weapon. Finally, I haven't seen anything saying they caught the suspect so we don't know if he was hit.

The investigation is still ongoing.. lets not hang, or exonerate this guy based on guesses. Nothing I have read makes me think he acted irresponsibly. Some articles say that the shooting occurred outside, others are not so clear.

Those two statements are not known facts. The articles I've seen say the pharmacist pulled out his weapon when the robber was at the counter and reached for what looked like a handgun in his waistband. We also don't know when the robber started to flee relative to the pharmacist firing his weapon. Finally, I haven't seen anything saying they caught the suspect so we don't know if he was hit.

The investigation is still ongoing.. lets not hang, or exonerate this guy based on guesses. Nothing I have read makes me think he acted irresponsibly. Some articles say that the shooting occurred outside, others are not so clear.

Read paragraph 4. "The suspect fled the store, with the pharmacist chasing after him. Authorities say Agyemang fired at least five shots at the suspect outside the pharmacy."

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2012/09/12/winslow-township-pharmacist-fires-handgun-at-would-be-robber/

Read paragraphs 6 and 7. "

But when he spotted the thief's gun, Dr. Agyemang pulled his handgun from behind the counter and chased the man out of the store into the parking lot.

He fired five shots at the attempted robber as he got away on a mountain bike, a move the pharmacist and 14-year Army reservist regrets"

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=8808156

What's incorrect? I highlighted what I thought was incorrect in bold but those statements don't change the context of the post. Nor does the post really have anything to do with the issue at hand.

You do not need a FPID in order to purchase a handgun - only a Permit to Purchase (P2P). There is no formal interview required by the statute. If you want to call the investigating officer going over your paperwork to make sure it is completed properly, an interview, so be it - but a formal interview is not required and could be looked upon as adding content. Your local PD (or the NJSP for that matter) cannot limit the number of P2P's you get under any one application. While we do have OGAM, there are also provisions in place for multiple purchase exemptions, for which you still need one P2P per handgun. Even without the exemption, most PD's will extend a P2P to a maximum of 180 days from date of issue, so you potentially could use more than three.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thank you, Bob. "Psych questionnaire" is also inaccurate. It's a Consent for Mental Health Records Search. Sounds to me like the PD he works for may have an illegal additional questionnaire as well as other illegal requirements. Hopefully someone will set him straight.

Pharmacists, armored car drivers and jewelers are one of the few occupations in NJ that qualify for an employment-based carrying permit, typically to/from/during the course of work depending on the local judge and how he chooses to sign/alter the permit. Yes I said alter because there is a spot on the back of a permit called "restrictions" that the judge can place various restrictions on. Depends where you live what type of permit restrictions you get. Some can be kinda funky. However yes, he likely had a carrying permit as a pharmacist as it's actually a fairly risky job, lots of people are after pills.

Source: I used to have NJ carry permit

There are a significant amount of pharmacies and other small businesses that are sole proprietorships.

I doubt it.

Additionally, an LLC can be created as Sole Proprietorship.

I actually don't think that is possible. You can have your LLC as a "disregarded entity" and put it on your taxes on a Schedule C but I've never heard of any corp or LLC regarded legally as a Sole Proprietorship. That would completely defeat the purpose of an LLC. You could be the only Member of an LLC, or the owner, but the LLC would still be s distinct entity in those cases such that you could not be held personally accountable for failures of the LLC unless you were doing funny business or not keeping your finances separate.

Where do you get your information?

From starting and owning several LLCs and corps in NJ and elsewhere.

I'm not a lawyer, I just meet with them and my accountants several times a year.

And I deal with it with developers and industrial clients that have Special Purpose LLCs and holding companies and such.

Do you own mostly LLCs or corps? Do you own LLCs that are considered a Sole Proprietorship? I've never heard of that.

I doubt it.

I actually don't think that is possible. You can have your LLC as a "disregarded entity" and put it on your taxes on a Schedule C but I've never heard of any corp or LLC regarded legally as a Sole Proprietorship. That would completely defeat the purpose of an LLC. You could be the only Member of an LLC, or the owner, but the LLC would still be s distinct entity in those cases such that you could not be held personally accountable for failures of the LLC unless you were doing funny business or not keeping your finances separate.

From starting and owning several LLCs and corps in NJ and elsewhere.

I'm not a lawyer, I just meet with them and my accountants several times a year.

And I deal with it with developers and industrial clients that have Special Purpose LLCs and holding companies and such.

Do you own mostly LLCs or corps? Do you own LLCs that are considered a Sole Proprietorship? I've never heard of that.

Single Member LLC's function like a sole proprieter for tax purposes but are more like corporations for liability purposes. I believe they were permitted in NJ starting about 10-15 years ago.

Single Member LLC's function like a sole proprieter for tax purposes but are more like corporations for liability purposes. I believe they were permitted in NJ starting about 10-15 years ago.

My first single Member LLC in NJ was 2000 :D

It is NOT a Sole Proprietorship. It IS a disregarded entity. They don't function like a sole proprietor, they simply have only one Member.

And my accountant at the time said that single Member had only recently been allowed (around 2000) and recommended it over another S-Corp due to the nature of the business. So my guess is your timeframe is right on.

That being said, I am not a lawyer and would appreciate your advice on liability issues for Holding Companies and Special Purpose Entities, N.J.A.C. 7:26C-5.8( c). Since we are engaging in quite a bit of redevelopment and exposing ourselves to some murky liability under the NJ Site Remediation Reform Act that went into full and final effect on May 7, 2012.

My first single Member LLC in NJ was 2000 :D

It is NOT a Sole Proprietorship. It IS a disregarded entity. They don't function like a sole proprietor, they simply have only one Member.

Exactly, Like the one guy that owns the pharmacy, the owner, which was the point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's very important to see if this guy gets charged. Yes, it was very irresponsible for him to pursue the thief and fire his weapon outside the store but if he's not charged with any criminal offense, it potentially sets a precedence for other cases where someone may be charged for legitimately shooting at a criminal during a robbery, home invasion, etc.

He brings his bicycle to a freaking robbery for a getaway vehicle?

It works man, I remember 2 banks that got hit back in the early 70's, 1st one was on the corner Avenel St and St Georges Ave and the second one was just north of there on St Georges ave. Both times the robber got away on his bicycle.