DirtyDigz

Flemington PD getting HK "assault rifles" to protect Borough Council, among other uses

Are you sure its not misidentification of the firearms by the media? Those journalist clows don't know a bazooka from a Ruger 10/22. And yes spending money is fun when it's not yours.

You're right. The press got it wrong. What they are really getting is this:

ed1.jpg?version=2&modificationDate=1324155686000

“Unfortunately we’ve been seeing in the news at least one mass shooting every week. It would be nice to think that they’re never going to get used, but the reality is that unfortunately at some point they probably are.”

The statistic for LEO having to fire in anger in their entire career is somewhere around 1-2%, correct? More than likely these weapons will never be fired other than at the range, especially in Flemington...

I could see Raritan Twp getting these, but FLEMINGTON BORO!? They patrol main street and the surrounding tiny boro of Flemington. They have no more than 8, maybe 10 cops. While Raritan has about 30-40 and patrols Flemington Boro, Raritan Twp, Ringoes, and some parts of the Amwells. Not saying that I really justify the decision for UMP's either way, but I think it's so ridiculous that Flemington Boro wants them.

I could see Raritan Twp getting these, but FLEMINGTON BORO!? They patrol main street and the surrounding tiny boro of Flemington. They have no more than 8, maybe 10 cops. While Raritan has about 30-40 and patrols Flemington Boro, Raritan Twp, Ringoes, and some parts of the Amwells. Not saying that I really justify the decision for UMP's either way, but I think it's so ridiculous that Flemington Boro wants them.

Raritan Township had some swat action this summer. Dont know if the swat is actually theirs.

-360e95a14ad738bc.jpg

But fear not my fellow Hunterdonites , Flemington will get police bicycles in addition to the rifles.

There s also some discussion on the rifles in this article.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/hunterdon-county/express-times/index.ssf/2012/09/flemington_police_bike_patrol.html

Its wrong on so many levels. Wrong tool for the job. Wrong tool even if it was the right application. PD's that actually understand the application and deployment are moving away from HK platforms as fast as they can because they are unsupported. Parts are near impossible to obtain. This is why you see so many of these that have been demilled. They are worth more cut in half and sold off to collectors! In my opinion a subgun has a very narrow scope of application. This aint it!

I spent 31 years as a LEO, been a LE firearms instructor since 1976, and 10 of those years as a sub-gun instructor. It takes about 3000 rds and 2-3 days to train someone who is already a good, motivated shooter to qualify with a sub-gun. Add a couple thousand rounds a year per shooter to maintain proficiency. That translates to at least $6000 for ammo the first year plus having someone qualified to train these guys. I know H&K used to throw in training for 5 or 6 instructors with the purchase of a couple of hundred MP5s but I don't know about 4. If you're properly trained a sub-gun is not a spray and pray weapon. Sub-guns are more popular with European police than shotguns.

However, with all that being said, the use of FA weapons by LE is very limited IMO. I feel this purchase by FPD was based more on what looks cool not what would meet their needs. AFAIC they could have had their cool factor, met many more needs, cut acquisition costs in half, reduce overpenetration issues, and reduce their training costs by getting SA M4s.

They didn't ask me though.

I spent 31 years as a LEO, been a LE firearms instructor since 1976, and 10 of those years as a sub-gun instructor. It takes about 3000 rds and 2-3 days to train someone who is already a good, motivated shooter to qualify with a sub-gun. Add a couple thousand rounds a year per shooter to maintain proficiency. That translates to at least $6000 for ammo the first year plus having someone qualified to train these guys. I know H&K used to throw in training for 5 or 6 instructors with the purchase of a couple of hundred MP5s but I don't know about 4. If you're properly trained a sub-gun is not a spray and pray weapon. Sub-guns are more popular with European police than shotguns.

However, with all that being said, the use of FA weapons by LE is very limited IMO. I feel this purchase by FPD was based more on what looks cool not what would meet their needs. AFAIC they could have had their cool factor, met many more needs, cut acquisition costs in half, reduce overpenetration issues, and reduce their training costs by getting SA M4s.

They didn't ask me though.

Could not have agreed more. I doubt this PD has the funds or the commitment to properly train these officers to utilize these weapons properly. I agree with some others here that an a few ar15s would have served this purpose much better

Looks more like South America to me. Great.

Raritan Township had some swat action this summer. Dont know if the swat is actually theirs.

-360e95a14ad738bc.jpg

But fear not my fellow Hunterdonites , Flemington will get police bicycles in addition to the rifles.

There s also some discussion on the rifles in this article.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/hunterdon-county/express-times/index.ssf/2012/09/flemington_police_bike_patrol.html