Kaiser7

So what do you think the ultimate "status-symbol" gun is?

Pathetic thread!

Yeah, I really didn't get detailed responses on why that I was expecting. Plus, the stuff seems fairly tame.

Gun shop, Ahnald, Terminator

Oh the younger generation.

:)

Lol, it was a reasonable guess! Actually, knowing the Fallout games like I do, they probably made the in-game plasma weapons resemble, or somehow otherwise reference Terminator, or some other sci-fi movie. They're really cool like that.

Luger chambered in .45.

AH! Someone else who pines for this. I would love to have the surviving US army trial luger, but I'd be too tempted to actually shoot it. I wish that they'd actually make new-production lugers, perhaps some in .45acp, so that the joy of shooting such a sexy gun could be had for the future. I think there was a run by some company, but they were of lousy quality, which is a shame. If I had a CCW, I think I would carry a luger, even if it isn't as practical XD.

Reminds me of a podcast I was listening to, this guy on there used to work at a movie theater, and he was robbed one night. The guy knows guns (so he didn't mistake it for a MKII) and said the guy who robbed him was using a Luger. lol.

Wasn't there a company making them for like $10K-$20k a pop?

AH! Someone else who pines for this. I would love to have the surviving US army trial luger, but I'd be too tempted to actually shoot it. I wish that they'd actually make new-production lugers, perhaps some in .45acp, so that the joy of shooting such a sexy gun could be had for the future. I think there was a run by some company, but they were of lousy quality, which is a shame. If I had a CCW, I think I would carry a luger, even if it isn't as practical XD.

Im not really into the gun status symbol thing. All my guns where purchased for a purpose, even if that purpose was to punch holes in paper or deer in a more comfortable way. Should I ever be able to carry one in this state nobody will see it anyway. My one luxury purchase that I did buy and I guess could be considered as a status gun is my M1A NM.

Ken

OK I’ll play: guns as status symbol?

Anything firing "novelty calibers" like .454 Casull or .50AE or .500 S&W - the stuff that few if any gun shops stock and costs $2.00 per round.

Excluding serious collectors, these guns are likely owned by high-power divorce attorneys or real-estate moguls or other wealthy people who know little about guns but just want to be able to say they own the world's most powerful handgun.

Among serious shooting enthusiasts, the ultimate status symbol is any pre-ban machine gun.

Edited by Sixtytwo327

Anything firing "novelty calibers" like .454 Casull or .50AE or .500 S&W - the stuff that few if any gun shops stock and costs $2.00 per round.

Excluding serious collectors, these guns are likely owned by high-power divorce attorneys or real-estate moguls or other wealthy idiots people who know nothing about guns but just want to be able to say they own the world's most powerful handgun.

Among serious shooting enthusiasts, the ultimate status symbol is any pre-ban machine gun.

Serious shooting enthusiasts hand load. When you do do, a .454 casull revolver is incredibly versatile. Load up .45 lc light to full house .454 loads.

Not a single person I have met who owns a .50ae or .500s&w has been a wealthy idiot. Most haven't even been serious collectors.

Excluding serious collectors, these guns are likely owned by high-power divorce attorneys or real-estate moguls or other wealthy idiots people who know nothing about guns but just want to be able to say they own the world's most powerful handgun.

Those 3 are on my list. In fact since my delta elite went bye bye i am going to hold a 454 casull today for when my 30 days is up

Not a single person I have met who owns a .50ae or .500s&w has been a wealthy idiot. Most haven't even been serious collectors.

Fair enough - idiot was too harsh. Though as strictly "status symbols," I still think these are like guys who are not really "car guys" but still want to own a Ferrari or Lambo because it was fastest around some test track - but they're not interested in track days, they just want to own "the best."

My experience comes from this one guy who used to come into a bar I worked at. He was a big-game hunter guy and was a really nice guy - just that that everything handgun to him was .454. Our discussions would usually end with a something like: "Oh man, a 454 will end your life! One hit and it's bye bye! Anywhere on the body, an arm, a leg, done. A 45 is nice, but man, a 454 will kill you dead!"

He also happened to be a real estate developer.

People who hand load and the shooting enthusiasts on this forum are definitely not the kind of people to whom this thread is directed.

Fair enough - idiot was too harsh. Though as strictly "status symbols," I still think these are like guys who are not really "car guys" but still want to own a Ferrari or Lambo because it was fastest around some test track - but they're not interested in track days, they just want to own "the best."

My experience comes from this one guy who used to come into a bar I worked at. He was a big-game hunter guy and was a really nice guy - just that that everything handgun to him was .454. Our discussions would usually end with a something like: "Oh man, a 454 will end your life! One hit and it's bye bye! Anywhere on the body, an arm, a leg, done. A 45 is nice, but man, a 454 will kill you dead!"

He also happened to be a real estate developer.

People who hand load and the shooting enthusiasts on this forum are definitely not the kind of people to whom this thread is directed.

Your guy was a hunter. .454 is a good handgun hunting cartridge. To him guns = hunting, and he only has eyes for things that make him happy. Big deal, that describes most people. Heck, he wasn't even fixated on something that is all that expensive. As a serious hunter, do you think he'd actually go hunting with it? If yes, it's not really the point of the OP's question.

To playt he game though.

Anything gold plated. By definition, it is to make it look more expensive, and is not durable and not intended for hard use.

Anything black chromed. It is the poor man's version of gold plated. Although the odds of the purchaser just being poorly informed about the finish are higher.

Anything that costs more than the car it arrived at the range in.

Gold-plated Raven .25 with mother of pearl grips.

I'd say a nickel plated Colt 1903 is a pretty classy "status symbol" handgun. I saw a crappy blued one in a gunstore awhile back and I really wanted to buy it.