Krdshrk

Need some Generator Advice

Hey guys - I figured I'd ask here.

My parents' lake house in Vermont tends to lose power from time to time. They're looking to pickup a generator to help run some things in the house - Fridge, maybe some heat, etc. Looking for some recommendations on generators, what to look for, etc.

buy a surplus military from government liquidation auction. they have 5kw and up that sell from 300-1500 for the big 10kw-15kw units. they run on diesel and built like brick out houses and they produce the rated kw 100% of the time instead of just high demand (they are MUCH higher than rated capacity) and pretty much weather resistant without much else

there are 2 for sale locally to me if you want to check them out

Couple of quick questions for you.

Do they want to use gas, propane, LP or diesel to run it? The reason is that helps decide price range and available.

If they are going for one of the first three do they use any of the already at the home? This reason being will they need to store extra fuel for it or use what is on hand.

Do they care about noise level of a Genny? Because if they do then you will want to look at an inverter type like the Honda's and Yamaha's.

Last is what is there price range? Because if they choose inverter type their price starts about 800 and goes up.

Other things to think about do they want a subpanel to run the genny into to power what they want to run in the home or just run extension cords.

We are currently getting a Kohler installed, with a panel and auto-start system for when we are not home. The power goes out very often here and we are tired of having our basement flood. The cost is fairly large but it will be well worth it. And it would be twice the price if we got something big enough to power the whole house, but we are getting one that will be able to power just the necessities.

But before this, we had a small Generac on wheels which did the job but it was enough to just power the sump pumps and that was it. It did the job and we haven't had a problem with it running or anything. But out of the numerous generator installers we talked to, almost all of them said Kohler stand-by systems are much better than Generac.

We are currently getting a Kohler installed, with a panel and auto-start system for when we are not home. The power goes out very often here and we are tired of having our basement flood. The cost is fairly large but it will be well worth it. And it would be twice the price if we got something big enough to power the whole house, but we are getting one that will be able to power just the necessities.

Dare I ask a ball park figure. Ive been looking into buying a wheeled generator and installing a transfer switch wired to the panel. Id like to weigh my options

Dare I ask a ball park figure. Ive been looking into buying a wheeled generator and installing a transfer switch wired to the panel. Id like to weigh my options

Doing it yourself you can do a 5kw genny and switch gear bare bones for $1k.

Ok with gas or propane you can look into a duel or tri fuel unit that way they will have options. There are a few ways to connect to the home from the gen. Either by a suicide cord from the gen's 220 plug to a 220 outlet in the house. If you choose that way. may sure the main is shut off and a lock is on it to protect the power lines from being back fed . Other option is transfer switch here is a link to Northern Tools selection there are many out there to choose from. http://www2.northerntool.com/generators/transfer-switches-4.htm .

I have a 4k Generac on wheels that I used for the fridge and fireplace insert using extension cords.

When I added on to the house I added a 14kw Generac, seen here. I bought it off Amazon with free shipping for just under $3500. I'll have another $500 in it before it's all done. I poured the pad myself. Whole house switch.

outsidepaint2.jpg

Ok with gas or propane you can look into a duel or tri fuel unit that way they will have options. There are a few ways to connect to the home from the gen. Either by a suicide cord from the gen's 220 plug to a 220 outlet in the house. If you choose that way. may sure the main is shut off and a lock is on it to protect the power lines from being back fed . Other option is transfer switch here is a link to Northern Tools selection there are many out there to choose from. http://www2.northern...-switches-4.htm .

This probably won't work properly, you need to connect the neutral into the panel, you might end up putting 220v into your 110v outlets. I'm sure someone with better electrical knowledge can elaborate.

This probably won't work properly, you need to connect the neutral into the panel, you might end up putting 220v into your 110v outlets. I'm sure someone with better electrical knowledge can elaborate.

Well, with a suicide plug you should have 2 hots, a neutral and a ground(the ground may not exist). The two hot legs would split in the panel so that 110 devices would use one hot leg and the neutral.

Most likely Gas or Propane. Pretty sure they use propane to heat the house.

Not sure about the noise or the price range.

I'm thinking they would want a subpanel... but not sure.

If your parents have propane already, go with a propane generator. Gasoline (if that's what you meant by "gas") goes bad very quickly and unless you store the generator with the proper fuel additives and run it frequently it is not going to run when you need it, propane doesn't have those issues.

I install backup generators more and more every day (thank you Irene!). What are they looking to spend? That will dictate what you can have. Generac, Eaton, and Kohler make a decent reliable backup system that is %100 automatic provided that there is propane or natural gas to burn. With instalation you are looking at about 8 - 10K for a 10-14kw generator that will run most houses. Generac does go all the way down to 8kw (8000w) with the automatic system. If they are willing to put gas in, start, plug in, and throw a switch you can have a system with a manual isolation transfer switch for whatever you spend on the generator +1500 to supply and install the switch.

If they have well water and want to use it while the power is out you will need a decent size generator (at least 5500w) to safely start a well pump. If there is city water and all that is desired is lights and heat (propane, oil, or NG) than 4000w would be more than enough. Post alittle more on requirements and I can post back all the info they need.

Ken

Scenario: I have Well/Septic w/ natural gas. What would my options be if I wanted to try to run say 50% of my 150A service including Heat or A/C (with a hard start capacitor), water, septic, and a few creature comfort circuits for lighting, refrigerator, stove, and a 15A circuit with some outlets. I know well and a/c would be the largest obstacles to overcome.

Ive been very fortunate in regards to power outages the 7 yrs ive lived in my home, but in another Irene situation where I might not get so lucky I would like to be able to plug a gen into a transfer switch and just top off the fuel every now and then to keep'r running for a few days/week

Well, with a suicide plug you should have 2 hots, a neutral and a ground(the ground may not exist). The two hot legs would split in the panel so that 110 devices would use one hot leg and the neutral.

you should install the recommended ground rod for the genset.. The panel will still have the houses ground rod..If that is missing for some reason have one installed..

Also note, most electric companies will sell and install a generlink for you. It's a plug on the base of your meter that you hook to your generator. It prevents backfeed and eliminates suicide plugs. http://www.generlink.com/about_generlink.cfm

Hey guys - I figured I'd ask here.

My parents' lake house in Vermont tends to lose power from time to time. They're looking to pickup a generator to help run some things in the house - Fridge, maybe some heat, etc. Looking for some recommendations on generators, what to look for, etc.

I picked up an ETQ 7250 watt continuous generator at Costco for $650 and am installing a Square D Interlock device ($85) on my panel wired to a generator input plug and grounded to the 3' ground rod imbedded next to my meter. It will run for 11 hours on a half load. I can turn on whichever breakers I need in my regular panel. Costco is now showing Honewell 7250 watt generators with a Generac motor and there is a coupon in the current ad booklet.

Also note, most electric companies will sell and install a generlink for you. It's a plug on the base of your meter that you hook to your generator. It prevents backfeed and eliminates suicide plugs. http://www.generlink.com/about_generlink.cfm

I picked up an ETQ 7250 watt continuous generator at Costco for $650 and am installing a Square D Interlock device ($85) on my panel wired to a generator input plug and grounded to the 3' ground rod imbedded next to my meter. It will run for 11 hours on a half load. I can turn on whichever breakers I need in my regular panel. Costco is now showing Honewell 7250 watt generators with a Generac motor and there is a coupon in the current ad booklet.

Will be researching these two options. Luckily i still left a small part by my panel unfinished in my basement for just this reason. A meter mounted plug would make it easy if the install cost is close to if not a little more than my time installing my own. The gen I was figuring around 8k or so.. good deal thanks for the input.

Will be researching these two options. Luckily i still left a small part by my panel unfinished in my basement for just this reason. A meter mounted plug would make it easy if the install cost is close to if not a little more than my time installing my own. The gen I was figuring around 8k or so.. good deal thanks for the input.

It is rated 8,250 watts peak/startup and 7,250 watts continuous. I think that works out to 240V 34.4amp max and about 240V 30amp continuous. Now I'm wondering how they will connect the breakers for the genset so that it will feed both phases in the panel.

When using portable generators be careful with the cheap ones. You really want to see a THD (total harmonic distortion) rating under 4% or you risk damage to sensitive electronics. Sensitive electronics are EVERYwhere in modern homes. I have repaired a LOT of portable generator damage this year alone. Cheap generators are great for powertools that really dont care. You can even run a lot of power tools on DC believe it or not.

As a general rule of thumb, no THD rating, no use to you for backup power. If you try it you can actually hear it in electric motors and large resistive loads. Its a weird sound.

If you dont want to spend a lot of money on a honda or dedicated backup system, look up northstar generators. Something like this is a great buy for what you get, honda power, low THD, and a decent deal. Some people will disagree with me because they have gotten lucky in the past. If you really load up some of these cheaper generators the sine wave looks like a seismograph on the scope and solid state components go into liquid state or gas (smoke) state!

Another emerging technology that Miller started is called skewed rotor clean power. That type of generator is also suitable for most anything.

Ken

Ok it looks like they want to just run extension cables for now. Gas powered Generator - enough to run the fridge and some lights.... and possibly the furnace. Do you think that would be possible via extension cables? Any recommendations on the generator? Gas/additives? Etc?

Ok it looks like they want to just run extension cables for now. Gas powered Generator - enough to run the fridge and some lights.... and possibly the furnace. Do you think that would be possible via extension cables? Any recommendations on the generator? Gas/additives? Etc?

Thats quite possible. Read my post above and check the link. Just find a generator rated as "low THD"

Sta-bil fuel stabilized claims to keep gas fresh for 2 years when used as labeled. I have used year old treated gas in power equipment and it seems to run an engine just fine.

You can get a generator hookup plug installed to simplify the process. Someone posted about it a few posts up. I dont think the ustility company will install it for free any more though. You can actually get the parts to do it yourself from most Home Depots. You can also order the simple transfer switches from Northern tool. Most of the ones they sell are actually made by Eaton/Cutler Hammer so the quality is decent. Some electrical supply houses will sell what you need to do it also. If you have a Griffith Electric near you they are decent at getting breaker interlock bars and transfer switch parts to do it safe. If you give me a dollar figure that you are looking to stay under I can give you a much better idea of what you can do and post links to the parts to do it if you would like.

Ken