tuktuk

assault weapons ban

just trying to understand the legal aspect of it. can an office of the president implement it with out the congress?

I am looking for more technical answer here. meaning what is the process that the office of the president can use to put a new ban in place. last time it was a part of the law that congress passed. is their a way to by pass the congress on this ? ( executive privilege, or some other way.,,?)

Well, no. The president doesn't make the laws. He can issue an executive order telling the justice department to enforce something a certain way.

I don't think we will see another assault weapons ban. Back in 1994, we had fewer shooters and those weapons weren't as popular. Now the AR-15 is arguably the most popular rifle in America.

The assault weapons ban was one of the reasons President Clinton lost the House in 1996.

President Obama is not stupid. He knows that he can get more political millage from his political base talking about all of the things he never intends to do anyway.

Somebody please explain.

Just to be clear I do not want any new state or fed. AWB laws. NJ now has an AWB but I have a legal semi auto Saiga AK. So I am fairly happy at that.

I can't go full auto (and don't want to) anyway without a long wait and a basket of cash to the feds.

So what is the issue? Is the issue the forbidden 'evil' features or what? What will get worse if they screw with the current laws?

Thx.

Somebody please explain.

Just to be clear I do not want any new state or fed. AWB laws. NJ now has an AWB but I have a legal semi auto Saiga AK. So I am fairly happy at that.

I can't go full auto (and don't want to) anyway without a long wait and a basket of cash to the feds.

So what is the issue? Is the issue the forbidden 'evil' features or what? What will get worse if they screw with the current laws?

Thx.

The fear is that would be the first step towards this - handgun weapon ban..

http://washingtonexaminer.com/obama-hints-at-handgun-restrictions-too/article/2510993

Make sure you vote on Tuesday for the right guy who's not going to ban weapons.. As clearly stated by Barack who said he will in one of the debates.

Romney already signed an "assault weapons" ban. Are you talking about him? Is this like that "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me" kind of thing?Governor Romney:

Governor Mitt Romney has signed into law a permanent assault weapons ban that he says will make it harder for criminals to get their hands on these guns."Deadly assault weapons have no place in Massachusetts," Romney said, at a bill signing ceremony on July 1 with legislators, sportsmen's groups and gun safety advocates. "These guns are not made for recreation or self-defense. They are instruments of destruction with the sole purpose of hunting down and killing people."
http://www.iberkshires.com/story/14812/Romney-signs-off-on-permanent-assault-weapons-ban.html

I can't understand anyone who votes for Obama at this point after all the cover ups and lies.. but this post isn't political and I stand by the NRA with their endorsement of Mitt Romney. I also know Mitt spoke at an NRA gathering and he is a man of his word. I really do not see Mitt Romney backing down from his statement in the debates with national attention that he will not enact anymore firearm regulations or laws while he is president.

Partisan fear mongering, the only things I can think of that the executive can do without congress would be import restrictions and expanding the definition of destructive devices or AOWs.

I think there would be serious repercussions to both of those.

I am not suggesting a vote for any particular presidential candidate, and certainly not recommending anybody vote for Obama.

I just don't like anybody telling me Romney is a defender of firearms rights or a champion of getting the federal government out of my relationship with my doctor that I pay for. OK? Please, that's going a little too far, we're not stupid.

Reminds me of the people that say there won't be another AWB because legislators were punished over voting for the last one. Yeah, right. Go look into that and find out what actually happened, state by state, and why, and why it was in Clinton's interest to say that even thought it is not true. And why it is in the interest of anti legislators to say it today even though it is not true.

Here's proof it's not true. Romney like AWBs. Signed them, supported them, and spoke out against civilian ownership of these firearms and demonized that ownership. And he was punished with nomination as Republican candidate for the current Presidential Election.

Yeah, they are all running scared.

Romney already signed an "assault weapons" ban. Are you talking about him? Is this like that "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me" kind of thing?Governor Romney: http://www.iberkshir...eapons-ban.html

I'd heard that Romney prevented the AWB in MA from being as broad as they wanted. We also have to think politics here.

Let's say Romney wins, the NRA has REALLY been pushing for him, and have been running ads in his favor, most of this started after Obama promised getting a new AWB into congress.

If Romney wins, and wants that support for a second term, there's no way he would push an anti-gun legislation. Obama will be a lame duck, and assuming Hillary is going to run in 2016, to motivate their base, an AWB would help with that. Not to mention that the Clintons were responsible for the 1994 AWB, so I think that should factor into this as well.

Could we be screwed either way? Certainly, but Romney would have a lot more to lose pushing anti-gun legislation, and we need to keep that in mind. That's why I'd say go with Romney over Obama if you care about gun rights, it's certainly in his interest to protect them, particularly with public support swinging in favor of gun ownership.

Well, no. The president doesn't make the laws. He can issue an executive order telling the justice department to enforce something a certain way.

While this is true, Congress can counter act his executive orders by barring a federal agency from spending any money enforcing his executive order.

Assuming Obama gets a second term (hope I'm wrong) it is a given he would trample all over 2A rights. Start looking for stuff like this and more backdoor tricks like UN Treaties ,OK the UN article is from July but IMO that's the kind of stuff I think we will see going forward. here's another one. These A holes are going to get creative and do whatever they can to stymie our RTKBA. I hope Mitt wins by a landslide for us and the US Economy which is in the toilet. We will find out on Tuesday.....

Amen buddy

Make sure you vote on Tuesday for the right guy who's not going to ban weapons.. As clearly stated by Barack who said he will in one of the debates.

So vote for Obama, because Romney already supported and signed an Assault Weapons Ban as governor of MA? Whereas Obama "wants to" Mittens "already has"

Simply put, both of these guys are anti gun. It's more a matter of, you want to anti gun guy or the anti gun guy who believes God lives on Planet Kolob with his many wives?

Mitt spoke at an NRA gathering and he is a man of his word

Wow man, you must be smokin some of that purple shit, huh? Pass it over here pal cause I want some too. LOL man of his word.

So vote for Obama, because Romney already supported and signed an Assault Weapons Ban as governor of MA? Whereas Obama "wants to" Mittens "already has"

Simply put, both of these guys are anti gun. It's more a matter of, you want to anti gun guy or the anti gun guy who believes God lives on Planet Kolob with his many wives?

Wow man, you must be smokin some of that purple shit, huh? Pass it over here pal cause I want some too. LOL man of his word.

Hahaha mad funny

If you think Obama is the right choice, you're smoking something worse than the purple sh*t. That man wants no american to own any firearms so the government can take a tyrannical role. Not sure what rock you live under.

If you think Obama is the right choice, you're smoking something worse than the purple sh*t. That man wants no american to own any firearms so the government can take a tyrannical role. Not sure what rock you live under.

News Flash - No one wants you owning guns. Bush II, Romney, Obama, Clinton, Gore, Kerry, Reagan, Bush, Dole, not a single candidate for presidency in the last 30 years has wanted you to own guns. The Republicans put on an act at the national level but are by no means pro gun.

Either way, if you think that any candidate existing within the bought and paid for two party oligarchy is somehow better or worse than any other candidate, you need to pass whatever it is you're smoking over this way.

If you think the world is so simple, that our problems are so clean and cut and dry, that the "common sense" answer to all this can be found in a 1:03 Youtube video, that arguing with me on a forum is an example of your vast and brilliant political knowledge you have gleaned through mainstream news websites, forums, and youtube, then you're on a completely different level than I am.

I wish it was so simple buddy. I really wish it was.

Romney is better on guns than Christie is, that's for damn sure. While I'm no Romney fan, I do believe that he would not actively pursue any new laws and would sign pro-rights legislation (i.e. National Reciprocity). Keep in mind exactly how anti-gun MA is. To be successful in that environment, you have to be willing to take small victories and not expect to win everything. We live this in NJ all the time. Look at what we consider "victories", i.e. getting a terrible omnibus bill tabled, or forcing towns to adhere to a law that none of us agree with. MA is the same as NJ in that regard.

Don't take my word for it. I've been living in this sh*thole state all my life. But Bitter, who lived in MA, and Sebastian, from pagunblog.com (formerly Snowflakes in Hell), posted this article. Whatever your thoughts on Romney, it's worth the read. Besides, if Obama wins tomorrow, just remember this phrase; Supreme Court Justice Eric Holder.