TheLugNutZ

NJGF, learn me on Televisions

So we have a decent sized family room in our home that really doesnt get used right now. We have a couch and some furniture in there but nothing to entertain. Its basically a hangout room for when people are over.

So we are going to be in the market for a TV after the new year, im thinking about a 55 inch or maybe slightly larger.

What should i be looking for in new TVs? I havent purchased one in about 6 years. I dont care much about 3D, but it would be nice to stream content to the TV, so i might consider one with built-in wifi/a "smart tv" or w/e they are calling them these days. I also know LED is the newer technology, more efficient, lighter, thinner, but more expensive...

What else should I be looking for?

I just read through this:

http://reviews.cnet.com/tv-buying-guide/

Anyone purchase anything recently in that or similar size? Input, info or recommendations welcome! embeer.gif

Look at the refresh rate - you want at least 120Hz. 240Hz is nicer.

Samsung is pretty much top of the line. Don't worry about losing any quality with other brands like LG, Vizio, JVC, Westinghouse, Sharp, Panasonic, etc.

You may not have to spend the extra dough on a smart tv if you have a Playstation 3, Xbox360, Roku or Apple TV - those game consoles/devices already provide that sort of access.

I have a Sony Google TV - it's the best TV I've ever bought. You can stream YouTube right to it, so occasionally when I'm on the treadmill, I'll thrown on a Hickok45 Video or two.

What Krdshrk said. refresh rate is where its at. The higher the refresh rate the smoother the fast action scenes are. Also consider viewing angle. The higher the viewing angle the better. With LED TV's and LCD TV's when you get off center on them the picture goes all weird. Just try looking at your laptop from an angle and you will see what I mean.

I am also in the TV market rite now. I am looking to replace my 7 year old 42" plasma.

Ken

I have a Panasonic 42" plasma that I won in a contest thru my job, it's nice and I have no complaints but I just bought a "60 Samsung plasma and it is awesome. I got a great deal on a display model at PC Richard, but their prices seemed pretty good overall. I'm not familiar with the tech specs, I just noticed that anytime I am in a bar or at a friends house and I notice that the tv has a crisp, sharp picture that the tv is a Samsung!

We have a 52" Samsung - super thin and 240hz refresh. Got it earlier last year with 0% financing and paid it off already. Love the TV! Great display and we thought it displayed the best image next to the other choices we looked at. Highly reco Samsung.

Pioneer Elite would actually be top of the line. Beautiful TV's but $$$$$$. Honestly can't go wrong at all with either Samsung, Panasonic, Sony and even the Sharp Quattron line. With the same specs they are pretty much on par with each other. Honestly though they each have a different picture that they all do well. Matters what is pleasing to your eye more. The refresh rate is also key to look at too but I'd have to say there is hardly a difference at all between 120 and 240 accept the price difference being big. 99% of people can't see the faster refresh rate. All newer TV's have wifi built in so you houldnt have a problem finding anything with a decent price.

I agree with the refresh rates and Plasma's have the best refresh rate. I have a 61" Samsung Plasma bought about a year ago and it is amazing and it has built in wifi so my vote is for Samsung I have always owned samsung products and loved them. I wil also put a vote for Panasonic they also make quality products

You might as well start looking at home theatre systems while you're at it too- cant beat a nice surround sound system! And as a side note if you're a Costco member they'll dbl the manufacture warrenty. Love my big Toshiba/Yamaha home theatre.

I have the Sony HX850 55". Absolutely love it. The only drawback is the 3d glasses are pricey (but a better 3d picture).

You should be able to get 240Hz pretty cheap these days. Most tv's are 'smart' too, as well as everything hooked to it (xbox,ps3,bluray). What will cost is how the lighting is done (local dimming / Full Array). That is what makes that high end Pioneer Elite so expensive and good looking.

Samsung LED. Not only are they the best TVs, they have the best customer service. My mother called up about her older LCD model that wouldn't work. It was at least 2 years out of warranty. Apparently some company had sold Samsung a bunch of out of spec components and the TVs were failing regularly years out of warranty. They sent a guy out the next day and replaced a power control board. No questions asked.

I have a 40" LED Samsung. It is DLNA which means when you hook it up to your home network, it can see all your devices and you can play movies off of your computer on the TV. Alternatively, your windows 7 or apple can "push" movies right to the TV. You can also plug in flash drives right into the USB ports on the TV or whatever you want and it pretty much plays everything. Best TV ever.