peterk2000

Man charged after photos of him posing with weapons appear on Twitter: cops

Anyone who thinks a warrant was issued because of some facebook pictures really isn't too sharp.

Was the picture taken in another another country? US laws / NJ laws don't apply.

Was the gun even real? Plastic, a toy, photoshop?

No warrant would be issued for just a picture like that.

Read between the lines, one of his drug buddies rolled on him, giving the probable cause for a warrant. This story was made up to keep the informant alive.

These two things are NOT the same. You folks are creating this "slippery slope" without the details of the case. You/We do not know if the accused is a prohibited person, specific evidence to the case had been mounted via witnesses, exif data of the picture posted (which by the way would be a way to determine WHERE the photo was taken for you sbr in other state folks) and that the police took the correct course of action in investigating,

I believe I mentioned the exif data in my first post. Not suggesting this guy is anything either way. I see some are taking this all way too seriously. I noticed that some were happy that dude was arrested and while if guilty then great. I was curious as to how and if a warrant was issued and whether or not it was based on more than a pic, which I personally havent seen. Not in any way shape or form saying dude is innocent nor guilty. I seem to recall reading somewhere that in this country which does include this state although it doesn't seem like it at times, that you are presumed innocent until proven guilty. I was surprised many folk seemed convinced of guilt based on a pic of the guy in jail and a story in the paper. Not saying that it shouldnt be investigated. Curious on why this one in particular was. Ive seen many posers with weapons where the exif data clearly shows it was taken in NJ. Some of those fools are still around others locked up for charges other than weapons. None were investigated.

Out of curiosity has anyone here seen the pic in question? We are all ( I'll be the first to admit i assumed this as well) going under the assumption that it was a sbs based on the story saying sawed off shotgun. While sbs are illegal in NJ, not all sawed off shotguns are illegal so long as they are within proper length requirements.

Btw how arent the 2 situations the same? Cops show up to investigate after you post pic. Regardless of how you posed for pic you still posted pic of you and weapon. I always question the official story. Doesnt matter how I feel about the subject, pro or against.

Anyway i'm done with this thread. On to better stuff.

Lots of hate in here for a man who was just exercising his 2nd amendment rights.

Why is a short barreled shotgun so bad anyway? 18" and it's fine, suddenly at 17.9" it becomes a horrible illegal killing machine?

Possession of weapons is not a bad thing. Remember, guns don't kill people, I thought?

Oh, but let's be honest here. Black guy with dreadlocks? Put 'im in jail yee-haw!!!!

Sigh.

Lots of hate in here for a man who was just exercising his 2nd amendment rights.

Why is a short barreled shotgun so bad anyway? 18" and it's fine, suddenly at 17.9" it becomes a horrible illegal killing machine?

Possession of weapons is not a bad thing. Remember, guns don't kill people, I thought?

Oh, but let's be honest here. Black guy with dreadlocks? Put 'im in jail yee-haw!!!!

Sigh.

Wow. I'm a Liberal. and this you just posted is some bs.

Part of being a law abiding gun owner is abiding by the law. Owning an SBS isn't that. 17.9 is bad because the law says so.

Jesus. Stop trying to help. You just picked the wrong battle on here. At least pick a fight that has some grounds.

Part of being a law abiding gun owner is abiding by the law. Owning an SBS isn't that. 17.9 is bad because the law says so.

The law used to say you can't vote unless you're white, that you can't drink alcohol, that you can own slaves, and a multitude of other messed up things that were changed. Morality does not come from laws, laws are supposed to come from morality. I cannot see any "crime" in an incident in which there is no victim.

You r right. I'm sure he should be the NRA 's new poster boy. Lets wait until all the details come out. I'm sure he just mismeasured and the shotgun was a few millimeters to short.

Seems plausible. I mean, there's no evidence to the contrary so far, and the burden of proof is on the state. That's how law enforcement is supposed to work, as I'm sure you understand.

They just can't come into your home. They applied to a judge for a search warrant based on probable cause. The judge signed off of the warrant and the search was performed.

I know they cant just come in without a warrent my point was that even if the police got a warrent and came into my home i would not be going to jail because there is nothing illegal at my home. And they dont have to have a warrent they can just ask for permission its just most people do not give consent.

Honestly, what probably happened was this: the guy probably had a criminal record, the police were already keeping tabs on him, and boom: he dellivers probable cause via Twitter. Why? As a felon, it's unlawful for him to have any weapon in his hands.

THIS^^^^^^^^ OR they were able to corroborate this with other evidence that he actually had the weapons in his possession.

'According to court documents, Khalid McClenton, 22, was charged with the unlawful possession of several prohibited weapons, including a sawed-off shotgun, a handgun and two knives and he was arrested by Jersey City police on Nov. 28.'

Some questions and observations...

Since when knives are illegal inside ones home?

What constitutes unlawful possession? (Yes a sawed off shotgun without a NFA tax stamp is a Felony . The penalty is an $250,000 fine and 10 years in the slammer for violating the NFA)

Did he already have a record that prohibited from owning a firearm? (Was the handgun lawfully obtained?)

Was drugs found along with the 'weapons'? (I think in most jurisdictions having illegal drugs along with firearms are added charges...even if the firearms were 'lawfully acquired'.).

Jesus. Stop trying to help. You just picked the wrong battle on here. At least pick a fight that has some grounds.

No, it's illegal because the law says so. Just because something is illegal doesn't make it bad. It's not just semantics.

I think the photo was likely geo-tagged, which would be more than enough information for the judge signing the warrant. The photo alone isn't enough, but when you add in location information, then it makes the case for probable cause. Most people don't turn off geo-tagging on their cellphone cameras.

I kind of say, if you're an idiot you might just deserve to get what could be coming to you.

In early early 2010 when I got my Mossberg 930 SPX, no one in NJ had one, everyone in the country wanted one, they were the hottest selling things and had just been named the Shotgun of the Year etc. I had just got my paperwork, was out looking for magazines on Super Bowl Sunday morning, saw a Benelli M2 FIELD at the Dick's in PA rather than the M2 Tactical I had fallen in love with the day before , and said, you know even tho it's only $899 rather than $1250 I just don't LIKE this field like I loved the Tac, the manager goes, I have one left of something really special, you seem like you'd be really appreciative of it and are cool , maybe you'll like this;...... And takes out a M930SPX from the back. Literally the like 100-200 ppl out shopping started crowding around, WAIT I WANT ONE TOO, WHAT DO YOU MEAN THERE IS ONLY ONE, I WANT IT, IF HE DOESNT BUY IT I'LL TAKE IT, WHY DID HE GET IT, Etc. Ppl started offering me 25, 50, 75, 100, 150, all the way to 200 cash to let them buy it. but this was MAGICAL to me, I asked, you sure i can buy this even tho I'm from NJ? The guys like, you got the card and matching license right? No problems!!

Well I came home and took pictures and showed them off on GlockTalk, this forum, etc. And a BUNCH of people were totally jealous,and first it was WOW WHere did you get that, How did you get that, how awesome is it!!?!?! Then suddenly, "THATS ILLEGAL YOU BETTER GET RID OF THAT RIGHT NOW YOU POSTED PICTURES OF ILLEGAL SHOTGUN IN YOUR ROOM YO'RE GONNA GO TO HELL AND JAIL AND THE GULAGS You beeeeatch!!!!!"

\" Want to sell it to me before you get in trouble tho?????"

I immediately contacted the State Police to understand the law, realized the issue was the magazine capacity , the man I talked to was super cool and not at all threatening, explained to me how lucky I was, etc. and told me to have it fixed straight away. So I did, straight away, and had Choate make me a +1 magazine extension to replace their +3 it came with. And from then on I have been a very lucky, Extremely happy M930SPX owner. BUT- If I had continued posting pictures of it and showing off the setup that would be illegal in New Jersey, and furthermore attach these pictures to my personally named social media sites (And a whole lot more people connect with me on my social media etc. sites rather than on here).. I would basically be asking to get arrested/etc. and would deserve it. You don't flaunt breaking the law, ESPECIALLY Firearms law in New jersey. Just stupidity Imho.

One ..who brought this to their attention. Police wouldn't scan endlessly on twitter accounts looking for potential criminals someone brought this to their attention I'm sure. Two I'm sure they did some homework first detectives do not enjoy looking stupid when a warrant turns up nothing. Last a good day at the range or excitement of a new gift to our selves as opposed to posing with a sawed off is a little different . I like to think that with most law enforcement I've encountered with my fire arms had a decent understanding of my intentions. Only once have I had a scenario that was borderline harassment and it was a dispute about whether or not my father's muzzle loader was loaded. After 15 minutes of radio contact and head shaking did he accept that with no primer it was unloaded. I understand the need to challenge the law when it closes in on our rights but I am always happy when a bad guy gets caught. Remember it might be one of us that gets caught in the crossfire and since were not in Texas our only option is to lay down and wait for police to save us or the medical examiner to scrape us up. Less criminals lead to better gun laws for responsible people. Please don't hate me I'm new :/

SBR vs. sawed-off shotgun. Yes, a SBR can be legal in America (not NJ) with the proper licensing. I am not sure if a functional sawed-off shotgun is legal in any circumstances, even in America. That is probably the justifiable cause for the warrent.

Plus, the police cannot go to judges for warrants without first having fully investigated the case. My hope would be that someone turned this punk in, the police investigaged, saw he had prior or something, or in some way determined that probable cause existed. Plus, the most warrants are requested by prosecutors, or "persecutors" in NJ.

you can totally own a sawed of shotgun in America... I plan to do one once I finish dealing with buying a car..

you can totally own a sawed of shotgun in America... I plan to do one once I finish dealing with buying  a car..

Yes, you can own (or make) a "sawed off shotgun," and there is no "proper licensing." There are a few states (NJ, VA and MD come to mind) that require licenses for certain NFA items on the state level but most states do not. You will need to pay $200 for a tax stamp. Or $5 for an AOW stamp if you are buying it from somebody else and not making it yourself.

Yes, you can own (or make) a "sawed off shotgun," and there is no "proper licensing." There are a few states (NJ, VA and MD come to mind) that require licenses for certain NFA items on the state level but most states do not. You will need to pay $200 for a tax stamp. Or $5 for an AOW stamp if you are buying it from somebody else and not making it yourself.

NJ does not have a license for SBS and SBRs, they are banned outright.

Let's see, we are in a liberal state with liberal judges that say the constitution does not apply to them. No big wonder that a warrant was granted, served, searched, and the SBR was found and the brilliant show-off is now in the pokey. Should it happen? NO, but it can happen here. Could it have happened to a nicer guy? NO.>>>