peterk2000

Man charged after photos of him posing with weapons appear on Twitter: cops

The POLICE WERE WRONG! THE POLICE WERE WRONG! THE POLICE WERE WRONG!

Oh. Wha...they were right? Well next time they will be. I know cause I saw it on tv

I don't think anyone is saying the cops were wrong. In reading these posts, I mostly see a concern about precedence.

I do not fear the police. I have the utmost respect for all (well, at least the vast majority of) LEO. What I fear are NJ persecutors and Deptuty AG's. I don't like them having presedence like this to help them justify pursecuting legitimate gun owners.

SBR vs. sawed-off shotgun. Yes, a SBR can be legal in America (not NJ) with the proper licensing. I am not sure if a functional sawed-off shotgun is legal in any circumstances, even in America. That is probably the justifiable cause for the warrent.

Actually sbs with $200 tax stamp legal in USA except certain prefectures err states.

Plus, the police cannot go to judges for warrants without first having fully investigated the case. My hope would be that someone turned this punk in, the police investigaged, saw he had prior or something, or in some way determined that probable cause existed. Plus, the most warrants are requested by prosecutors, or "persecutors" in NJ.

And we all know that no judege would in NJ would turn a blind eye or bend the law to arrest a gun nut right...

SBR vs. sawed-off shotgun. Yes, a SBR can be legal in America (not NJ) with the proper licensing. I am not sure if a functional sawed-off shotgun is legal in any circumstances, even in America. That is probably the justifiable cause for the warrent.

Plus, the police cannot go to judges for warrants without first having fully investigated the case. My hope would be that someone turned this punk in, the police investigaged, saw he had prior or something, or in some way determined that probable cause existed. Plus, the most warrants are requested by prosecutors, or "persecutors" in NJ.

yes it is under SOME Circumstances..you can Tax stamp it as either an SBR/SBS or an AOW (as long as it was a virgin reciever). Serbu Super-Shorty is one example, Ithaca also made a Double-barrel 20Ga that would be transferred today as an AOW. the Legality of doing it yourself (Outside of the PRNJ) on a Form 1 I do NOT know however...it isnt something i;ve looked into

Lol. Not quite. Not really on either side of this just trying to be objective as we dont have all the facts. Nothing ive said is false. Sbs are legal elsewhere with tax stamp and im sure any practicing lawyer in NJ can regal you with stories about judges. No nned to lump me in with crazies.

And we all know that no judege would in NJ would turn a blind eye or bend the law to arrest a gun nut right...

So, tell us about your vast experience in being the affiant for, and obtaining Warrants, to show us how easy it is, and how Lightly judges take it.

So, tell us about your vast experience in being the affiant for, and obtaining Warrants, to show us how easy it is, and how Lightly judges take it.

Not leo, not a lawyer, prosecutor nor judge. Just reread my post and rest of thread. I dont see anywhere I stated it was easy. As for how I arrived at my conclusion it was based on a history of people I have know or read about as well as cases in the media concerning firearms and fire arm law. You trying to tell me that NJ judges (not saying all) have never just taken a cop or prosecutors word for it, nor have they ever issued a warrant that turned out to have no merit? They have never shown bias against gun owners. Not sure how I pushed your buttons and I realize we are on the internet but I see no cause to jump on me. There is no progress if everyone sees things the same way and dont discuss both sides of the issue.

Again I am not on either side of this issue and if you have more info/facts on this than has been put out there then great. But your comment doesnt further the conversation which is what I thought this was

Don't worry...they are never too far

Actually, I bet the twitter post is just a cover story for the State. My bet is that they caught him using one of their micro drones to peek into his windows.

I catch a glimpse of them all the time from the corner of my eye, but as soon as they see me turn my head, they zoom away before I can really see them.

Actually, I bet the twitter post is just a cover story for the State. My bet is that they caught him using one of their micro drones to peek into his windows.

I catch a glimpse of them all the time from the corner of my eye, but as soon as they see me turn my head, they zoom away before I can really see them.

Lol

The story doesn't have enough info really from what I can tell to draw an accurate conclusion

on exactly what happened. There are several youtube, facebook, twitter, and other social

medial accounts that I'm sure have had similar pictures whether with real guns or fake guns

and I'd doubt that all of them got investigated by the police.

I agree that it is a little bit strange that the police can come in to a home over pics posted in the internet i am guessing that there is more to it than is stated in the article. However if I were to post a video of me shooting a full auto SBR or something elce that is illegal in nj and they did come into my home i dont have to worry about a thing because i dont have anything to hide. Nothing illegal here. Am i going to be happy about it, no. I am sure I will feel a bit violated but i am not going to jail over it.

They just can't come into your home. They applied to a judge for a search warrant based on probable cause. The judge signed off of the warrant and the search was performed.

Amazing how hacking off a few inches off of a long gun barrel can land you in pound town. In trouble with both the Feds and NJ State.

In 1934 They were trying to make all concealable firearms come under the NFA and they almost succeeded. The original intent was to have pistols and revolvers also require the $200 NFA tax stamp, photos and fingerprint requirements (as well as short barreled rifles that could be concealed). As I understand it, pistols and revolvers were stricken from the law at the last minute but the short barreled rifles were left in.

AOW generally means any other weapon that can be concealed, and/or disguised as some thing else. Examples include cane guns and pen guns. AOW's are also NFA items but only require the $5 NFA stamp but still require the photos and fingerprints (and the usual six month wait for processing time).

If anything ..judges make you jump through hoops to obtain warrants.

i dont know why people would think otherwise... they have a lot riding on a simple signature... which is why i think there has to be more to this then a simple picture being the sole basis. If a judge signs a warrant, and it turns out to be unjustified, or worse unconstitutional, not only do they get a strike on there record and all the ramifications that come with it, but it nearly impossible to get a conviction there after.

It wasnt so much this guy that sent the thread off on a 2 pg tangent. More back and forth banter over the unknown and hypotheticals. Im sure this man is an upstanding citizen was an active member in the church and handed out free turkeys to impoverished families during Thanksgiving.

Not leo, not a lawyer, prosecutor nor judge. Just reread my post and rest of thread. I dont see anywhere I stated it was easy. As for how I arrived at my conclusion it was based on a history of people I have know or read about as well as cases in the media concerning firearms and fire arm law. You trying to tell me that NJ judges (not saying all) have never just taken a cop or prosecutors word for it, nor have they ever issued a warrant that turned out to have no merit? They have never shown bias against gun owners. Not sure how I pushed your buttons and I realize we are on the internet but I see no cause to jump on me. There is no progress if everyone sees things the same way and dont discuss both sides of the issue.

Again I am not on either side of this issue and if you have more info/facts on this than has been put out there then great. But your comment doesnt further the conversation which is what I thought this was

In My experience..Yes I am...somehow people think that warrants are handed out like Halloween candy. I've had Judges go so far as to require Photos of the residence during both the daytime and nighttime before issuing a warrant..just to ensure that the correct location. Folks (not you necessarily, but in General) need to stop thinking that Television is real Life, and that warrants are handed out with a wink and a nod from a "Friendly" Judge.. Hell a Judge you ARE friends will will probably push any warrant request off to another judge just to AVOID the merest hint of impropriety or bias.

Im sure no judge in NJ has ever signed a questionable warrant. Never happen. Not in NJ. By golly we could get in trouble, btw could you just stamp denied on that pile of concealed carry permits so I can sign them. How dare these ppl think they would get approved, they should just hire personal security.

All joking aside and I'm not saying this is the the rule not the exception, but if believe it doesn't happen I have a bridge I'd be willing to sell you cheap. For the most part cops in this state do their jobs as best they can and most are honest hard working folk. But jusdges like officers aren't suddenly sacrosanct due to their position. In the name of justice will do what they think is right for good or ill.

Same with appearance. Just cause someone looks a certain way doesnt mean anything. A guy could be 6' tall be covered in tattoos have a 6" long poinard and 2 pony tails ride a harley and still be an upstanding citizen. Not sure bout some but I live in Union City and work takes me to JC, Newark and other not so great areas. Ive walked into the homes of ppl that looked like straight up killer types and they turned out to be amongst the nicest people. I have seen one such character who to this day lives on Ocean ave literally take off his coat and give it to someone in need. Again not saying thats not the exception, just trying to illustrate that you really cant make a determination without all the facts, which we dont have.

Personally, you couldn't pay me to be on facebook. Nor would i ever post something like that for any reason. That being said, have any of you ever posted a range pic. A pic of a new purchase. How about the classic hunter pic with the weapon laying on or near the deer or whatever game you just harvested? What if based on that pic they came at you warrant in hand (and at this point we still dont know if one was issued based on the article) youd be cool with that? Regardless of you having nothing illegal, youd be ok with it? I for one would not comrade.

That being said, have any of you ever posted a range pic. A pic of a new purchase. How about the classic hunter pic with the weapon laying on or near the deer or whatever game you just harvested? What if based on that pic they came at you warrant in hand (and at this point we still dont know if one was issued based on the article) youd be cool with that? Regardless of you having nothing illegal, youd be ok with it? I for one would not comrade.

These two things are NOT the same. You folks are creating this "slippery slope" without the details of the case. You/We do not know if the accused is a prohibited person, specific evidence to the case had been mounted via witnesses, exif data of the picture posted (which by the way would be a way to determine WHERE the photo was taken for you sbr in other state folks) and that the police took the correct course of action in investigating, and apprehending the suspect.

This is not a step towards communism. Glenn Beck wont be using this guy as a poster child for the facist decline of America. Im sure the police have a vested interest in arresting people with the highest potential for prosecution in cases like this. I know damn well in the FD you get shit from coworkers and supervisors for not doing your job right, im sure pd would be no different.

The progression of this train of thought makes me think some folks here would be great in the news media profession...

Man falls and breaks ankle on a cracked sidewalk leads to...

BREAKING: ARE THE LOCAL GOVT ROAD DEPTS LASHING OUT IN REVENGE FOR CUTBACKS? WE GO UNDERCOVER TO INVESTIGATE IF YOUR TOWN IS ON THEIR LIST OF TARGETS. News at 11.