Spartiati

Chrisite on 101.5 - Opinion on Connecticutt Shooting

This list said 14 shooters but included 2 from Finland...I subtracted out the Finland shooters and their wounded and killed to make it more relevant to America

Fact: At least 12 recent American school shootings were committed by those taking or withdrawing from psychiatric drugs resulting in 96 wounded and 41 killed (in other school shootings, information about their drug use was never made public—neither confirming or refuting if they were under the influence of prescribed drugs.) The most important fact about this list, is that these are only the shooters where the information about their psychiatric drug use was made public. To give an example, although it is known that James Holmes, suspected perpetrator of a mass shooting that occurred July 20, 2012, at a movie theater in Aurora, Colorado, was seeing psychiatrist Lynne Fenton, no mention has been made of what psychiatric drugs he may have been taking.

Younger generation guy here. There is CLEAR evidence that suggests video games have NO long-term impacts on adolescent behavior. Anyone who suggests that these games directly contribute to violence in kids are no better than those who suggests that guns cause mass shootings. Period. This issue was closed a decade ago.

its also the same garbage argument of several years ago when people were blaming rock/metal/rap music for killings and such. theyre grabbing at straws, and looking for a scapegoat instead of putting the blame on the perpetrator himself

I'm curious as to which part of the video game argument you don't like?

The fact that study after study after study finds no statistical correlation between video games and any kind of crime. Over and over again. There has never been a peer-reviewed paper in any respected scientific journal that has ever found this linkage to exist. The people, articles and stories that make this link NEVER have peer-reviewed scientific study behind them; they are always opinions and feelings.

its also the same garbage argument of several years ago when people were blaming rock/metal/rap music for killings and such. theyre grabbing at straws, and looking for a scapegoat instead of putting the blame on the perpetrator himself

That whole 'reefer madness', 'suicide solution', 'grand theft auto' blame game has been disproven over and over.

But there is a wholesale rejection of the catalytic potential of actual mind altering psychotropics.

The antis **** about the gun lobby and its power but it is shadowed by the drug lobby. If you got a problem, we've got a pill for that

That whole 'reefer madness', 'suicide solution', 'grand theft auto' blame game has been disproven over and over.

But there is a wholesale rejection of the catalytic potential of actual mind altering psychotropics.

The antis **** about the gun lobby and its power but it is shadowed by the drug lobby. If you got a problem, we've got a pill for that

Big Pharma lobbyists are one problem. The FDA is the other...imagine the outrage if a government agency approved these drugs?

Is it me or does it seem crimes committed with people on SSRI's have been as bad or worse then those on bath salts? The bath salt crazies are so far spaced out that they go on a rampage without much thought. These mass murderers on SSRI's or other anti depressants are far worse, as they clearly and methodically plan out how they will carry out their atrocities.

It has been known for awhile that SSRI's and certain anti depressants can cause suicidal thoughts. I think its time to consider putting on the labels that they may also cause homicidal thoughts as well.

At the peril of adding another scapegoat in blaming antidepressants and antipsychotics....

A lot of people take SSRI medication and do not exhibit heavy depression or psychotic break. Like any prescription drug, it is a risk reward as to how much it help as opposed to adverse reaction.

Often, these issues of violent, self injurious behavior, etc, manifest themselves during titration, withdrawal or upon changing a drug.

Do I think the taking of SSRI should make you a prohibited person? No I do t think so. It depends upon what the treatment is for, what other drugs are contraindicated with it.

There should however be some monitoring at the administration of SSRIs and any DX of drug treated personality disorder should be reported to federal mental health records. Requiring states to submit those records for NICS would have to be mandated, however.

I grew up on these violent video games such as Mortal Kombat, Grand Theft Auto, and Postal to name a few, but I don't have any sadistic tendencies. Maybe because when I ever got out of line my parents would firmly wedge their foot up my ass. They made sure I know the diff between right and wrong. Is it that parents might be getting a little to laid back and expect TV and other so called things to raise their children now a days?

Bingo!!! Parents are too afraid to utter the word "NO" in fear their kids may not like them. Parents need to get back to parenting, taking time TEACHING their kids again and stop pandering to them, making excuses and believing everything the media tells you.

Psych meds are a major issue. They are prescribed like candy for any little reason. Actually all drugs are. Last year when I was having back surgeries they were forcing me to take muscle relaxers and painkillers. Nobody wants to find the root of the problems....just easier to medicate it

Even Lardass knows the presumptive AWB is a loser

Nah, somebody told him if he wants to run for President in 2016 he better start acting like he believes the 2A. Of course, if he runs in 2016, he's going to get the same 1/2 hearted welcome that Romney got from gun owners; unless he really starts spending some political capital and repeals some of the sh*tty laws we have.

Nah, somebody told him if he wants to run for President in 2016 he better start acting like he believes the 2A. Of course, if he runs in 2016, he's going to get the same 1/2 hearted welcome that Romney got from gun owners; unless he really starts spending some political capital and repeals some of the sh*tty laws we have.

We can always dream, can't we?

I'm curious as to which part of the video game argument you don't like? I'm conflicted on the video game thing because I do believe it causes desensitization to violence but more importantly some of these games are basically training for tactical engagements. I've heard some video games have been used in military training because they are so life like.

Would this type of stuff affect an otherwise normal person? No but as risk factors accumulate I can't see how they help. I'm not advocating a ban or even limiting games. However, it should be studied and if it is a factor, one of many, that knowledge can be used by professionals when dealing with people they think are "at risk" so to speak.

It has been studied. You will find studies that say it absolutely does, and ones that say it absolutely does not. Most are horribly constructed, and the better ones on both sides basically boil down to anything highly stimulating increases expression of their violent behavior analog immediately afterward.