Sign in to follow this  
BlueLineFish

Long slides

Semi Auto?

17L would be long enough. There really is no reason to go beyond 6". One issue you have is the long long slow action of the slide unless you do massive weight reduction.

I guess you can, but why?

This year in USPSA, 2013, there will be no restriction on the length of slide or minimum production requirements so I am going to assume someone will play with the idea of a 7" gun, but it will surely be lightened, or weight on the very front, lightened throughout.

Plenty of nice 6 inch guns in 40 cal, if you shoot 165 grain bullets, 180 there is no reason to at that point, you are getting more than enough velocity.

If you must have a big barrel in a semi auto... the 7 or 8" or whatever it is in a Desert Eagle.... or you can get an HK Expert Elite or whatever it is with the 6" or slightly longer slide.

Don't they have the G24 and 17L out again? I saw some at the local shop recently. Those would be good options.

The 34 is not as long as some of the options mentioned here but it's a great compromise between a longer barrel

and a gun that is well balanced and cycles fast.

I went with an M&P 5" 9mm Pro. Perfect for competition, range and home defense use. It is my only high capacity handgun and all that I need. Most of my guns have 3-4" barrels. I find that length balances well in my hands and allows me to quickly put the gun on target. I dislike barrel heavy guns and have sold a few that were like that. At my age my hand gets tired just trying to hold a long barreled gun straight for extended periods of time. I like the weight of my guns to be in my hand so that they feel like an extension of me when I point them.

I went with an M&P 5" 9mm Pro. Perfect for competition, range and home defense use. It is my only high capacity handgun and all that I need. Most of my guns have 3-4" barrels. I find that length balances well in my hands and allows me to quickly put the gun on target. I dislike barrel heavy guns and have sold a few that were like that. At my age my hand gets tired just trying to hold a long barreled gun straight for extended periods of time. I like the weight of my guns to be in my hand so that they feel like an extension of me when I point them.

+1