Sign in to follow this  
REQUIEMnJADED4U

First gun shop experience was awful at Ramsey Outdoors

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to firearms in general and just trying to be a sponge and absorb as much knowledge as possible. I just wanted to share my first experience of going into shop that sells guns. I had some time to kill around lunch time in the Paramus area. I decided to go explore and window shop at Ramsey Outdoors on route 17 in Paramus. First of all, the store was mostly empty except for a few looking at coats and fishing gear as I made my way to the back. I must have passed at least 3 employees by the time I got to the gun safes and all of them avoided eye contact let alone a friendly hello. There were 2 older gentlemen behind the counter having a conversation about m4 carbines. I saw that the walls were fairly scarce and only about a dozen hanguns in the showcase to look at. A little about myself, I'm a 29 year old clean cut Hispanic guy and I was dressed business casual. I went right up to the counter and was just looking down at the handguns. Not once did either guy care to say hello let alone offer any type of assistance. I had a question about the Remmington 1911 they had and when I looked up, one of them looked at me as if he couldn't be bothered nor cared less of what I had to say or what intentions I had in the store. After a long awkward pause of me clearly looking like I need assistance, they both blew me away by just getting off their stools and walking together to the back while continuing their prior conversation. I usually never complain about this sort of thing but I was speechless by the way I was treated or better yet not treated. I will say that I will never bring my business to them unless some major staff overall occurs as I only hear and have read horror stories about there.

Thats why I drive over 2 hours to PK90. I do not like the way I was treated in my local area. I am a scruffy looking fellow but I am an intelligent well mannered human being and I expect to be treated the same way I treat others. I spend my money where I feel comfortable. Gun shop clerk snobs are annoying and right up there with knuckle dragging permit issuing LEO's.

Go to Ramsey Outdoor in RAMSEY. The one in Paramus sucks.

+1

The guys at the Paramus store are tools. I deal with the guys up in Ramsey all the time. Good bunch of fellows. Drop me a PM if you'd like to be introduced.

Ramsey in Paramus stinks. Meltzer's is about the same. Ottomanelli's... well, let's just say they aren't my favorite. Bullet hole is ok. Ramsey in Ramsey is ok. Essentially around here the service end of it gets a little lost. Which is too bad. I guess I'll need to open my own shop... :keeporder: (I wish).

C

I had a similar experience with the ledgewood store. I contacted the company via email and alerted them to this. I did get a response from one of the owners.

I own a business and appreciate this type of customer feedback, we cant watch our employees all day long so any customer feedback helps.

My experiences in Ramsey outdoors in Paramus are the same...I'll never buy anything from that store, ever.

I have to take exception to Meltzers. While their prices are pretty high, their customer service is great.

That said, while I'm not buying right now, any future purchases from a gun store will come from Mastodon. Joe is a great guy and very fair and straight with you. If I was down south, it'd be PK90.

I have to take exception to Meltzers. While their prices are pretty high, their customer service is great.

I am only relaying my experiences. Nothing more than that. Only place that I will NEVER give another dollar to, and I've said this before, is the range/shop in Randolph. Other than that, it's all good.

C

Even the guys that work in the Ramsey location aren't happy with the Paramus location staff. I have to say that the Ramsey guys, unless busy, are very welcoming, professional and courteous. Either of the Joe's or Ron will be more than willing to help and they are pretty knowledgable about their products. If they don't personally know the deets of a specific product they will be honest and find the information for you. Also, these guys are especially helpful to those that are new to shooting and firearm ownership.

I have also experienced the same courtesy and friendliness at the BulletHole. Anyone there will be willing to help and when the range is slow, the guys that work the range will take time to help as well (tips, pointers, friendly conversation). They also do excellent gun smithing work there, it may take some time, but I have never been disappointed with the price, service or quality of the results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I had the same experience with Paramus. Two old guys behind the counter that ignoring. When you ask them for assistance you get an attitude like they don't want to be bothered. Their ammo prices are stupidly high too. Last time I checked, it was $19.99 for a box of American Eagle 9mm.

+1. Goto the original Ramsey store in Ramsey. Much better selection and service. In all honesty, they should just close the gun section in Paramus. The only reason I go in is when my wife's in another store next door. That and I always go look at the Belgium BHP they have in the glass. One of these days, I'll snag one and send it to Ted Yost for some TLC modernizing work.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Like I said, I was reluctant to write such a negative review but felt something had to be said about how that Paramus location is run. I will definitely look to go to the other shops that were recommended in this thread!

Good luck. My offer stands.

C

Ramsey in Ramsey is my go-to LGS. It's an hour away from me, more with Rt.17 traffic, so making it my go-to was not a casual decision.

First time I went to Ramsey Paramus years ago, the guy behind the counter confessed the Ramsey location did all the ordering and had better inventory and selection. He was nice about it, and I thanked him and drove the extra few miles.

I've purchased numerous items from Ramsey, including tonight. Every interaction I've had and observed have been upfront, helpful, and friendly. Seems like either Ron or Joe is always around.

Their prices have been reasonable (no gouging unlike some other places in Jersey), they tell me how long special orders will take, and they let me know if it doesn't work out.

Caso's in Jersey City. Go there and ask Frank or Lisa questions and listen to everything they say. Also, Jersey City has 3.5% sales tax.
strongly.agree. lisa will be away for.a week at a gun show. I would be willing to help you out there if you need it

The Paramus ROS is deplorable. Those fellows who "work" behind the gun counter could die and no one would notice them for at least three days. ROS in Paramus would be considered a "poser" of a gunshop today. The Paramus location is used by pseudo-hikers and yuppie campers who are too confused to shop at Campmor. I'm actually surprised ROS still has a flyfishing section. ROS-Paramus at one time had more firearms than their Ramsey store. That was until the store was broken into one night. Someone cut a hole in the roof, dropped in, and stole most of the handguns from the locked glass cases. They added safes for storage that week, and began moving a lot of their stock to the Ramsey store. Now their normal procedure at night is to remove the handguns from the glass cases and lock them away 1/2 hour before closing time.

When Gabrellian Assoc. redid the building, and made that location a mini-mall, adding all those new stores in early 2000, ROS-Paramus halved the size of their gun and fishing departments. It's never been the same store since.

You also have Jet agent in North Jersey, Tj Sporting Arms in central and PK90 in south jersey.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Like I said, I was reluctant to write such a negative review but felt something had to be said about how that Paramus location is run. I will definitely look to go to the other shops that were recommended in this thread!

The Paramus ROS is deplorable. Those fellows who "work" behind the gun counter could die and no one would notice them for at least three days. ROS in Paramus would be considered a "poser" of a gunshop today. The Paramus location is used by pseudo-hikers and yuppie campers who are too confused to shop at Campmor. I'm actually surprised ROS still has a flyfishing section. ROS-Paramus at one time had more firearms than their Ramsey store. That was until the store was broken into one night. Someone cut a hole in the roof, dropped in, and stole most of the handguns from the locked glass cases. They added safes for storage that week, and began moving a lot of their stock to the Ramsey store. Now their normal procedure at night is to remove the handguns from the glass cases and lock them away 1/2 hour before closing time.

When Gabrellian Assoc. redid the building, and made that location a mini-mall, adding all those new stores in early 2000, ROS-Paramus halved the size of their gun and fishing departments. It's never been the same store since.

You are a plethora of information.

Ya beat me to it, though I was going to say he was a "veritable fount" of information. Seriously, some good background info on ROS, a place I've only been to a couple of times, buying nothing of consequence.

:yes:

I worked in Paramus at a corporate office on Rt. 17 for 15 years beginning 1987. I went to ROS in Paramus quite often, at least once a week. Never bought a firearm there but would browse, pick up reloading supplies, cleaning accoutrements and such at lunchtime or on the way home. That particular store has gone downhill.

The land where all those malls sit today used to be celery farms up until the 60's. People used to rabbit and pheasant hunt on the farms right along Rt. 17 up until the early 60's. Time and progress marches on.

Not unusual. When I first started buying guns I was routinely ignored. Now that I have bought 30 from the same store the salespeople rush to help me. It seems the only way to get good service is to be a frequent buyer, missing some front teeth or driving a pickup. :)

Not unusual. When I first started buying guns I was routinely ignored. Now that I have bought 30 from the same store the salespeople rush to help me. It seems the only way to get good service is to be a frequent buyer, missing some front teeth or driving a pickup. :)

Hey! I resemble that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Went to BH with R-n-J today and he got to do a little shooting. Went to RO in Ramsey right after and he (seemed) to have a much better experience. I introduced him around and the guys and gals were friendly and helpful. S'all good.

C