Lecky

1911 thoughts

Hi everyone, I just spoke to my local police dept. and the clerk said I should have my 2 handgun permits in 1-2 weeks. Could I please get some recommendations on 1911's for around (give or take) $1000.and for my second permit I was thinking about a 9mm, possibly either a Sig, Glock or M&P. could I also get recommendations on them or others? I was also wondering where I should purchase them? I live in union county. Thanks very much.

You can get a good Springfield 1911 for under a grand, they seem to be well regarded for moderately priced production guns. I have no experience with other makes personally but I hear tell that the Ruger is nice too, and the Remington has some respect also. For a 9mm depends on what you want it for. The names you mentioned are all high quality. CZ is very nice too if you want steel.

For a 1000 there are a ton of 1911's that can be had. I would recommend going to a store and handling a bunch.mi always recommend Caso's in Jersey City. Lots of handguns that you can fondle and get a feel for. I am always willing to help a newbie out if they are going there since I live close by.

If you can narrow it down to a model number you could put it in the price request section on the forum, now to narrow that down to get to that point may not be that easy. So lets start out with, what do you want to do with it. Just plink target shooting or might you be interested in USPSA and Steel matches, now or down the line?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My vote is S&W or Springfield for a 1911.

As for picking a polymer, striker-fired 9mm, the best thing you can do is go hold and/or shoot them all. I can shoot Glock, S&W M&P, and Springfield XDs just fine, but the M&P is the most comfortable in my hand. If you're looking for a metal 9mm then I'd suggest a Beretta 92FS or Sig P226.

Really though, there's so many 9mm handguns that it's mostly personal preference on what feels comfortable, what you shoot the best, and what you like the look of.

Personally, if you're a new shoot you can spend about $1100 in total and get a Ruger SR1911 and a 9mm SigPro 2022. Yes, the purests will arm-wave at the SR1911, but who cares! Grip angle, trigger, and fundamental operation is the same. Further, they're well built, nicely balanced, and shoot well. I have one as well as a number of high-end 1911s and talk from experience. Now the SigPros are excellent and offer 3 grip sizes so you can find a nice fit and are ridiculously accurate shooters and the triggers are very consistant from the factory. Again, I talk from experience as I own two German-proofed 2022s (9mm and a .40S&W) and an Exeter 2022 in .357Sig.

kimber custom 2 can be had for less than retail

http://www.kimberame...om-ii/custom-ii

http://www.kimberame.../1911/custom-ii

smith wesson E series

http://www.smith-wes...playErrorView_Y

Taurus 1911 pk90 has two in stock

http://www.colddeadhands.com/firearms.htm

I have a range officer and love it the only thing I didn't like was the black front sight so I sent it back and got a tritium sight put on hot it back yesterday and love the way it clears up the sight picture. Have not shot it yet with the new sight hopefully will get out his week befor vacation and get sonds rounds through it I will let you know

I have a Sig 1911 Tacops - very nice shooter - occaisonal FTF though (about 1/100 rounds - working o better mags)...Took 1000 rounds for the trigger to break-in (it was "crunchy" for a while) - but now it is supper smoth!. ~$1,000.

I also have a Kimber Team match 2 1911 - awsome gun, a step above the sig but also ~50% more. ~1400$.

I will be getting a Wilson 1911 in a few weeks ~3500$ - I expect this to be another step up from the kimber (which is already an awsome gun)...I know, wilson are very expensive - WTF, it is my $$$ and I'll spend it the way I want to (if you don't, Obama will take it, or some relative you don't like will spend it for you ;-)).

I have to recommend a Colt. I was looking at new Series 70 pistols for around a grand.

This! There's a reason why many top smiths like this for a good base gun to customize later on.

I always suggest, if you're budget is under 1k, stick to a good no frills GI type 1911. Avoid "semi-custom" 1911s like Kimber.

This! There's a reason why many top smiths like this for a good base gun to customize later on.

I always suggest, if you're budget is under 1k, stick to a good no frills GI type 1911. Avoid "semi-custom" 1911s like Kimber.

If you buy the kimber you will not have to upgrade it..

I have a Sig 1911 Tacops - very nice shooter - occaisonal FTF though (about 1/100 rounds - working o better mags)...Took 1000 rounds for the trigger to break-in (it was "crunchy" for a while) - but now it is supper smoth!. ~$1,000.

I also have a Kimber Team match 2 1911 - awsome gun, a step above the sig but also ~50% more. ~1400$.

I will be getting a Wilson 1911 in a few weeks ~3500$ - I expect this to be another step up from the kimber (which is already an awsome gun)...I know, wilson are very expensive - WTF, it is my $$$ and I'll spend it the way I want to (if you don't, Obama will take it, or some relative you don't like will spend it for you ;-)).

First, run Wilson mags and your Sig should behave nicely.

Second, IMO going from a Kimber to a Wilson is not a step up. It's an entire staircase! Inquiring minds want to you, what did you select for the goodness?

Sti 1911; Spartan or Trojan. Both reasonably priced ad workhorses.

M&P 40 (i would get a full sized model) get a 9mm barrel and mags and you have "2" guns for the price of 1.

Of course I know nothing so...............

If you buy the kimber you will not have to upgrade it..

That's assuming the quality of the parts and fitting don't fail you. First thing to check is that the plunger tube is properly staked on. I had a Gold Match years ago, and the plunger tube fell right off when the grips were removed.

Of course, this was a sample of 1 pistol, but there are MANY others who have reported similar issues with Kimber over the years. Another thing is to make sure the Schwartz safety works for you on a Series II. A buddy of mine, who has shot 1911s for decades, had trouble disengaging the safety.

I went for the Tactical Elite...Any opinions?

You will be very pleased with your choice! The Tac-Elite shoot beautifully! It will be more nose-heavy to you at first because of the difference from your Kimber because of the barrel. Assuming you're a traditionalist and have it chambered in .45ACP, the Tac-Elite will make you a better shooter with how it counters muzzle flip so well and a crisp 3.5# pull! I have a highly customized CQB with the match barrel that I had built with a 10-8 rear sight to work with a gold bead front and it's a tack driver!

You will be very pleased with your choice! The Tac-Elite shoot beautifully! It will be more nose-heavy to you at first because of the difference from your Kimber because of the barrel. Assuming you're a traditionalist and have it chambered in .45ACP, the Tac-Elite will make you a better shooter with how it counters muzzle flip so well and a crisp 3.5# pull! I have a highly customized CQB with the match barrel that I had built with a 10-8 rear sight to work with a gold bead front and it's a tack driver!

Thanks - can't wait it is due in a few weeks....Traditionalist indeed! -My four pistols are all 45 acp - best self defense round ever designed (357mag close second, 9mm is a "joke" ;-), 44mag and up harder tovcontrol, IMHO),..Sounds like you have a great Wilson..And agree, trigger pull/smothness is right up there with most important 2 or 3 items for excellent accuarcy (don't want to disturm that perfect sight alignment/picture).

If you're planning on shooting USPSA limited 10 with the 1911, you might want to consider a 1911 in .40 s&w. A most common 1911 that competitors use is STI Trojan. It can be had for a little over a grand.

Actually lately they are all coping the Brazos Edge I got last March. Lol

Well probably not coping me, but I didn't see any back then and now I see at least 5 or 6 at every match, probably the same thing when you by a new car, you start noticing them all over the road... ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk