vmastro87

PD calling references every time you get a Permit?

My PD in New Brunswick has to send out a letter to my references everytime I want to apply for more permits. I wish they would just call them it would be so much faster. I will say that I use the same references everytime, just makes things a little easier.

I have two friends, and we all use each other for references. Last time we put in for permits all at the same time, and we asked if we could just answer the questions in person since we were all there. They told us no, and that they would be in contact with us.

You want to hear something funny? I have used them same NJ references since coming back to NJ. They're both gun people. My PD checks references every single exemption request, and every 3 permits under OGAM using a standard form. My references have photocopied a giant stack of completed forms and each time they get a request, pull out the form and sign and date it! It cracks me up! Both of them do not have local PDs, and go through the NJSP and I get a yearly call from the investigating trooper when they put in for permits.

When I applied for my last P2P, my references were never contacted. When applying for my recent P2P (I don't have it yet), the clerk said that while we do have to list them, they won't be contacted, they only do that for FIDs. She also offered to go get my FID application info from 15 years ago if I needed to copy the references off of it.

But my local acting Police Chief has no problem with the public buying guns, says if the SHTF he's gonna' need help. lol Last time it took every bit of 4 weeks (instead of the usual 3), and it was the SP holding up the works.

Mine used to just send written forms to be returned, but just recently (last month) there appears to be calls being made to references, now, as an addition to the forms. When you apply for permits, etc. does the investigating officer go through your "folder"?

My PD hasn't sent letters or called my references the past 3 permit cycles. 2 month into waiting and I start calling them asking whats up, then in about a week they are usually in the mail to my house.

The reference "investigation" in the form of letters or calls from what I understand is optional for the PD.