PDM

"Lucky" to Live in NJ?

So it looks like the new round of NY gun laws will pass. By far, the worst aspect of the new law will be the 7 round mag limit. There is NO grandfathering provision, which means that possession of a magazine -- pistol or rifle -- that holds more than 7 rounds will be a felony. That's bad enough -- imagine how much of a financial hit YOU would take if you had to dispose of all mags over 7 rounds with zero compensation. What makes it even worse is that the vast majority of semi-autos will be rendered inoperative. Of course, I have not seen one comment in the media -- anywhere -- pointing this out.

Anyone ever see a 7 round glock magazine? I dunno, maybe they'll start making them. The only guns I'm aware of that us mags that take 7 rounds or less are officers size 1911s, and Kahrs and other micro pistols. This was quite obviously Cuomo's intent all along -- it's a backdoor ban on semi-auto pistols. I'm actually surprised that the bills pending in NJ are only proposing a 10 round limit. Wonder if that will change. This is really, really horrible. I'm don't hold out too much hope for judicial relief here, but I'd imagine there will be legal challenges, both under the 2A (challenging this as a defacto ban on commonly owned handguns) and under the takings clause.

Yes Lunker, which is why I put "lucky" in quotation marks. How is it that no one is making noise about the hundreds or thousands of dollars in financial loss that most NY gun owners will suffer? I can't believe I haven't seen one word about this anywhere. I think we need to start making noise about that issue before it happens here.

Haelous -- it's all over the news. Do a google search, or go to the NY Daily News website. As to the "good news" you are assuming that this type of cancer doesn't spread. Believe me, once a mag ban passes with no grandfathering -- de facto confiscation -- that idea will take root and other states will try it. I would not be at all surprised if State Senator Weinberg and Assemblyman Cryan here in NJ don't resubmit their bills with lower limits. And oh, by the way, even if they don't, I'm pretty sure that the NJ 10 round mag bill also doesn't have a grandfather clause. Meaning that the 15 round Glock 19 mags, and 12 round H&K mags, and 15 round Sig P226 mags, and 15 round "jersey legal" AR pmags that you might own will instantly turn you into a felon. Have fun trying to sell those out of state. Still think it's "good news"?

Googling for NY 7 round magazine was not giving me anything. Daily news has a story, and this site seems pretty obviously anti.

Because the entire country is NY and NJ? I have no idea what you're getting at. They will still be able to sell their mags for a profit most likely. Just look at glock mags on gunbroker.

Like I said, 7 round limit is bull, I'm not defending it, but they will be able to unload those mags in no time at all.

the worst aspect of the new law will be the 7 round mag limit

I'm actually surprised that the bills pending in NJ are only proposing a 10 round limit. Wonder if that will change.

Do you have a link referring to this 7 round limit? Only thing that seems to be out there is ungrandfathering 10+ mags and such....

Don't you worry about NJ, Joe Cryan all ready stated he WILL introduce a bill lowering mag limits to 5.......

These bills will not be smooth sailing in NY. Cuomo was reported to be working feverishly to get an agreement to pass new gun control laws before his state of the State speech, so he could announce it during his speech and look like a libtard hero. The Republicans in Albany weren't having any of it.

The 'No Grandfathering' part of the law will be it's demise, as it makes it an 'ex-post-facto' law, and it will not hold up.

If they do manage to pass this law in ANY state, or as federal law, they will HAVE to grandfather existing mags, ect.

Don't anyone get your panties in a wad just yet, no laws have been passed anywhere. At this point it's just a lot of blowhard politicians running thier mouths.

This IS the time to get engaged. Write your reps, on a State and Federal level and express your feeling in an INTELLIGENT and RATIONAL manner. We ALL need to be vocal right now, but we need to do it in the right way.

Jeezus, just because they POST it DOESN'T mean it is passed.....

"But I read it on the internet so it must be true!"- This type of mindset has got to stop and STOP now! Stop whining and stand up and fight these things before they get shoved so far up are ass they come out our mouth

Look, two newspapers that I read yesterday (Daily News and the Post, admittedly both rags), both reported Rep Sheldon Silver as saying that they were 95% done with a deal. I fully understand that nothing has passed yet and I am far from a defeatist. I was simply pointing out that this one aspect of Cuomo's proposal is clearly the very worst and that no one -- either in the libtard media or on our side -- has clearly spelled out what the consequences of this will be.

I was speaking with a shotgun owning friend of mine who sort of leans towards the idea of some mag limits, and his eyes opened wide when I took the time to walk him through the consequences of the proposed 7 round limit -- de facto confiscation of a huge array of semi-automatic handguns by virtue of the fact that there will likely be no legal mags for them.

As for the impossibility of no grandfather clause, you do realize that is exactly what happened in NJ when it adopted a 15 round limit? Anyone with a larger mag was SOL.

I really don't get the attitude of some of the dummies on this forum who think that any discussion of the implications of proposed legislation = "whining" and lack of will to fight. How can we edcate people if we don't discuss what proposed legislation might do and why it would be bad. And as for NY, the Republicans in the state assembly and senate don't have much power. Don't count on them to stand up to Cuomo on this. We'll see.

All I have to say is Christie's approval rating is at 70%. Christie supported the 94' AWB but is for the most part pro-hunter and doesn't support any further restrictive legislation. However, he is looking for re-election and that's what scares me.

On that note, no...we're not that lucky.

If we lived in Texas, yes, we're lucky. We'd have reps that back us 110%

I think the jury is still out on Christie. His comments on the news the other night could be read either way. He certainly didn't come out in support of additional restrictions, but clearly will consider them. I know many disagree and like bashing him. I do think that he has a lot of common sense and isn't willing to rock the boat makes me hopeful that he may not be willing support additional restrictions.

Christie wants to get re elected in NJ so he would sign another ban to get votes, but he also wants to run for president nationally so having his fingerprints on a ban would be bad for him there. So he will do what any good politician does which is use weasel words to be on both sides of the fence simultaneously.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

I agree with both you actually. Both are factors to consider. I think he's throwing feeler comments. First off, he can't say "I am absolutely not willing to talk about gun control in NJ". Well he could (and should) but that wouldn't be smart for his future re-election plans. Second, I think he's going to test and see how far he can go before the approval rating goes down. Furthermore, I think how he handles Sandy relief will be more scruntized than his reluctance to pass more restrictive legislation.

And by the way, the 10 round mag bills currently proposed in NJ -- no grandfathering. So IF these were to pass, kiss your 15 rd pmags, Sig P226 mags, H&K mags, etc. goodbye. Just pointing out what's at stake.

No grandfathering would not pass legal challenge, as it is an 'ex-post-facto law'. Unconstitutional. Period.

No grandfathering would not pass legal challenge, as it is an 'ex-post-facto law'. Unconstitutional. Period.

However a new law that bans 'use' would essentially do the same thing. You can 'own' them but can't take them anywhere to use them.

Look ex-Texan, I don't know if you are a lawyer or not. I am. You don't know what you are talking about. Ex post facto laws are laws that render behavior criminal retroactively. For example, if NJ said "we are going to prosecute anyone who owned 15 round magazines on January 1", that would be an ex post facto law. Making possession of an item illegal GOING FORWARD is not an ex post facto law. The state can and in the past has made possession of magazines of a defined capacity illegal and force people to turn them in or face prosecution.

What this might be -- although I think it is an uphill argument -- a taking under the Fifth Amendment. The government can't take property for public use without compensation. There would be a whole host of questions as to whether the banning of magazines for ostensible public safety purposs constitutes a compensible taking. It would be a difficult case to win.

Christie wants to get re elected in NJ so he would sign another ban to get votes, but he also wants to run for president nationally so having his fingerprints on a ban would be bad for him there. So he will do what any good politician does which is use weasel words to be on both sides of the fence simultaneously. Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

I would think given his current popularity that his stance on gun regulation would not dip the meter too much in either direction.. as was stated above his handling of Sandy is a much bigger factor in most people's eyes.

In theory he could avoiding having to take a stance and letting some of the media frenzy die down. Once it's a little more off the radar he could claim something like "the new bills cover the same thing the existing laws do but with drastically more impingement on constitutional rights". Related to his Gubernatorial reelection this stance would be overshadowed by Sandy but would help him long term for any future National prospects.

Look ex-Texan, I don't know if you are a lawyer or not. I am. You don't know what you are talking about. Ex post facto laws are laws that render behavior criminal retroactively. For example, if NJ said "we are going to prosecute anyone who owned 15 round magazines on January 1", that would be an ex post facto law. Making possession of an item illegal GOING FORWARD is not an ex post facto law. The state can and in the past has made possession of magazines of a defined capacity illegal and force people to turn them in or face prosecution.

What this might be -- although I think it is an uphill argument -- a taking under the Fifth Amendment. The government can't take property for public use without compensation. There would be a whole host of questions as to whether the banning of magazines for ostensible public safety purposs constitutes a compensible taking. It would be a difficult case to win.

I'm not a lawyer, and I don't play one on TV either. Nor am I trying to be argumenative.

From what I have read, it IS a thin disctinction, but I believe I'm right.....and I believe you are right too. Depends on the court.

Have a look at this: http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Ex+Post+Facto+Laws

These bills will not be smooth sailing in NY. Cuomo was reported to be working feverishly to get an agreement to pass new gun control laws before his state of the State speech, so he could announce it during his speech and look like a libtard hero. The Republicans in Albany weren't having any of it.

Its a piss**ng contest.

Look, two newspapers that I read yesterday (Daily News and the Post, admittedly both rags), both reported Rep Sheldon Silver as saying that they were 95% done with a deal.

The Grand Canyon is only about 5% of the width of Arizona -- but it isn't too easy to get across. If it were, Cuomo would have announced the bill in his speech and not sounded like a maniac himself.

I would think given his current popularity that his stance on gun regulation would not dip the meter too much in either direction.. as was stated above his handling of Sandy is a much bigger factor in most people's eyes.

In theory he could avoiding having to take a stance and letting some of the media frenzy die down. Once it's a little more off the radar he could claim something like "the new bills cover the same thing the existing laws do but with drastically more impingement on constitutional rights". Related to his Gubernatorial reelection this stance would be overshadowed by Sandy but would help him long term for any future National prospects.

One thing I have faith in is that Christie has his sights set on bigger things than Trenton.

That's not to say that the Democrats won't try to bait him -- of course they will. But if he goes along with even more restrictive laws in a state with the 2nd most restrictive firearms laws in the country, he's not going to make it to the Republican ticket as VP in 2016, and if he doesn't do that, he's not going to win the #1 spot in 2024. He'll only be 62 in 2024.

Christie is not going to run as a Democrat. Everyone remembers what happened after Arlen Specter switched sides, and how quickly he was then tossed under the bus. He will either be on a Republican ticket, or none at all.

This is a "Pascal's Gamble" for Christie. With a 70% approval rating, he's not risking very much by resisting calls for more stringent laws. But if he goes along, he's never getting out of New Jersey. He needs to be careful not to produce any soundbites that can (and will) be used against him by the Democrats later in 2013, and by both the Democrats and Republicans in the years after. But he's a successful lawyer and a successful politician --- so he can do it if he wants to.

It just doesn't seem in Christie's character to want to retire to a job as president of a second-tier New Jersey college at the age of 55.

All my $0.02 ($0.05 with inflation) -- with the added caveat that I was completely wrong in my predictions as to what would happen in November!

Really???? Yet that is EXACTLY what happened here in 1992..there wasnt any "Grandfathering" you registered, destroyed, disposed of or turned in. if they levae out the Registration option, you either turn them in or sell them out of state.