TooBigToFit

Good range for first timer that rents the guns I want (and any suggestions)?

Hello. As I've stated in my introduction, I've never shot a firearm before, and I'm looking at giving it a try.

I'm particularly interested in renting a few handguns before I decide to purchase one (once all the paperwork comes in). The one I'm currently most interested in is the HK USP. The thing that attracts me most is the fact that one can switch between V1 (safety+decocker), V3 (decocker), and V9 (safety) very easily, and that one can also upgrade to the LEM trigger easily. I also think the HK mag release feels natural to me. What I don't like is the proprietary rail. It's also at the upper range of my budget, though I'm willing to spend to get the gun I want.

Because I'm new to everything, I want to rent a few other handguns, so that I can make sure what seems nice on paper actually works for me. So far, a Glock of some sort and the XD are on my list, though moreso the XD, since of the (airsoft) models I handled, the Glock grip angle never really felt right. Anything else I should put on my list? I also was going to start by renting a .22 first, but my friend in the navy said I shouldn't bother wasting time and money with that. Yay or nay?

And where is a good range that rents all of this stuff? In regards to the USP, I really want to try both a traditional DA/SA and a LEM model, and it's kinda hard for me to find a place that has both. Should I try multiple different calibers?

And finally, should I go along with the whole panic buying mode that everyone else seems to be in (as in, ARs and hicap mags) once my paperwork comes in, or should I buy what I really want. I did plan on getting an AR down the road, but right now (and as a whole), I'm more into handguns.

So as a recap...

0. I've never fired a firearm before, but would love to try. Especially a handgun.

1. Where can I rent a USP in DA/SA and LEM?

2. Any other guns I should (or shouldn't) rent? Glock and XD are on the list. Try multiple calibers?

3. Like the USP for the trigger options. Upper end of budget.

4. Should I rent a .22 first, or don't bother?

5. Buy AR/hicaps now, or buy what I really want?

6. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the help!

I know many are not fans of Heritage because of their prices, but they have a decent rental catalogue. I'm not sure if they have a USP but I know they have HK in the rental book.

Another make to consider is Sig Sauer and the S&W MP line. Personally I like the Sig better, but that's my personal opinion.

As for shooting a 22 first, that's entirely up you. Shooting is a personal sport/hobby so it makes sense to try out as much as possible.

Hope this helps...

Now that you mention it, gun for hire gun test drive is a good value. It may not have the gun the op wants to try out but for 99.00 you get to try a bunch of them. If the op is to walk to, say, RTSP and between one pistol rental, a couple boxes of ammo and an hour at the range, he's out of 100.00 anyway.

http://gunforhire.com/classes/semiannual-gfh-gun-test-drive/

First where are you located??

Second, hi caps for Ar(not in NJ)??? Do you live in PA.? Hi caps here is 15 in NJ. Don't bother getting mags since you don't have an Ar yet, specially at the prices they are at now. Get your Ar then worry about ammo first if you can find any then get mags.

I would go to heritige in Easton to shoot. They have very nice selection of hand guns and rifles. Go to their website but they are pricey. Or even search for sunset hill range off rt. 80 for cheaper range prices.

If you are considering glocks and not liking the grip angle, I was feeling the same exact thing too, so I got some range time at heritage in Easton and rented the s&w mp40 and fell in love with it.

So after the range time, I called up Chris from bullseye tactical in Woodbridge (awesome guy) and placed the order. Bullseye tactical is close to you too so check his store out and support local shops. His prices are very good and his customer service is even better.

Now that you mention it, gun for hire gun test drive is a good value. It may not have the gun the op wants to try out but for 99.00 you get to try a bunch of them. If the op is to walk to, say, RTSP and between one pistol rental, a couple boxes of ammo and an hour at the range, he's out of 100.00 anyway.

http://gunforhire.co...gun-test-drive/

Do this if possible. I spent probably about $500 dollars in renting guns trying to figure out what I wanted. Well long story short, Bought my first gun and sold it within a year. So after $500 paid $450 dollars and wind up selling the gun for $300. So lets do the math

Rentals $500 trying to find the perfect gun

$450 buying my first gun

$950 invested in my first gun

sold for $300 so out $650 trying to find that perfect gun.

IMHO- Buy an xd, glock or an HK, have fun with it. If you love it, great. If you hate it, sell it for a small loss. You can't get back rental money is my point after you buy your first and decide its not for you

HKs are always worth the extra coin. You can also score used ones for a great price, and they rarely have any ammo put through them. Given you've never shot any handguns before, it won't matter if you buy a DA/SA or LEM variant, as the basics are all the same. Once you get some rounds down range and feel comfortable with the gun, then start exploring different triggers. After you have some experience under your belt shoot me a PM, as I have most HK USP trigger variants in the safe.

try to.come to a meet up or a match. Guys are mofe than willing to let others try out their guns. Or just start a thread asking to try at a range. Buy some ammo and i am sure people will let you shoot. Hell...whats your location. I have more than enough for you to try and a range half a town away

One of the posters hit the nail on the head and a poll I recently did on another gun forum confirms it. The majority of gun owners do not still own their first gun. In fact, the last three people I taught to shoot last year got rid of their first gun within a few months after agonizing for months over which first gun to get. There is a big difference in shooting a gun for a short time at a range and shooting it long term. As one poster mentioned, you can easily spend more on renting guns and buying ammo than you will spend on a gun.

Basing your decision on your first gun by shooting it for a hour at the range is the same as buying shoes based on trying them out in the store. You may find that they hurt your feet after wearing them for a few hours. :) First find out what is the largest caliber you can shoot comfortably. That will depend on how physical a guy you are. To tell the truth there is no reason why a healthy male cannot handle a 9mm with proper training. I teach senior citizens, many of them woman, to shoot 9mm. Then find a gun that fits your hand comfortably and allows you to put the flat of your trigger finger on the trigger. Do not worry too much about how the trigger feels. The differences do not make much of a difference to someone who learns to shoot properly. Buy a good brand. Cheap guns are cheap for a reason.

Something I recommend but rarely followed is to take a lesson with a qualified trainer. It will end up being cheaper in the long run and you will learn what you like and how to shoot well. Once you learn to shoot well, the gun does not matter that much unless you are into bulls-eye shooting. The ability to shoot small groups using slow fire is not going to help you in a self defense situation. Trust me on this. :) Good luck.

Old Dog's post should be copied and pinned to the begining of the "Newbie" section. I, and at least one other newbie that I know, did that exact same thing. We spent several hundred dollars renting and trying different guns. I actually ended up purchasing one of the first guns I was considering just from the information I had read about it.  Never even fired it before purchasing it.  Could have saved a few hundred dollars.  Oh well, I had fun!

Save the money from rentals and buy the gun you think you want. After purchasing it if you don't like it, trade it in for some thing else. Even if you "lose" $150 during each trade in that almost equates to two trips to rent a two different guns and shoot about 100 round or so through each. Plus by purchasing the gun you'll be able to spend much, much more time with it than a one hour rental!

Only other suggestion may be to join a range. If I had joined Heritage Guilds' Crack Shoot program the 1st time I set foot in the place I would have already broken even. Instead I waited until about my 5th or 6th visit before joining. Find a range within a reasonable distance of you & join their discount program if you insist on renting several guns before making your 1st purchse. Trust me, I wish I had done that!

0. I've never fired a firearm before, but would love to try. Especially a handgun.

try a SIG or Beretta for DA/SA
2. Any other guns I should (or shouldn't) rent? Glock and XD are on the list. Try multiple calibers?

9mm vs 45acp vs .40 feels all the same to me.  XDm 

most important to me is the trigger.  1911 triggers are nicer.

absolutely!  ammo is expensive. you'll go more to the range when ammo is cheap.  

prices have come back down to earth. take your time choosing.

get a real metal pistol & forget the plastic

One of the posters hit the nail on the head and a poll I recently did on another gun forum confirms it. The majority of gun owners do not still own their first gun. In fact, the last three people I taught to shoot last year got rid of their first gun within a few months after agonizing for months over which first gun to get. There is a big difference in shooting a gun for a short time at a range and shooting it long term. As one poster mentioned, you can easily spend more on renting guns and buying ammo than you will spend on a gun.

old dog is right.  don't get stuck with a pistol you don't like.  

Why are you purchasing a handgun / what will it mostly be used for?  Have you thought about a revolver for your first handgun?  Very simple to use and ultra reliable.  I would recommend putting in for at least 2 pistol permits when you apply for your FID or getting 2 permits if you already have FID.

Look at Heritage Guilds rental catalog online.  If not listed call them to ask if they rent it as I've heard they have some items that aren't listed in the catalog...maybe they haven't updated the online version in a while with newer rentals?

Start a new topic in the handgun forums asking if any forum members have that gun and would be willing to meet you to allow you to check it out and shoot it.

.45 seems like a large caliber for someone who has never shot a gun before and a little on the expensive side if you are going to do a lot of shooting.  i would recommend starting with a .357/.38 revolver and start with shooting the milder .38 rounds.  If you have a wife or girlfriend that you want to take shooting or that is interested in shooting then a .45 may turn them off due to the recoil/kick.  If you are looking for handgun for home defense (HD) then a .357 is a great choice and the .38 caliber you can also shot in it will be much milder to learn on or introduce other new shooters who may be recoil sensitive.  Also a little less expensive I think that .45 ammo.

If you are dead set on a semi for your first gun I would go with something all steel like a CZ75 in 9mm.  The all steel construction helps reduce the recoil and the CZs are real tack drivers and most people agree the feel very good in the hand.

CZs come base and higher / more polished models with trigger jobs.  My understanding is that if you are handy that you can do some work on it on your own and there are plenty of videos out there that will show you how.  Don't know what your are considering spending for your first handgun but look at CZ 75B ($500ish), CZ 75 SP-01 ($700ish) or CZ SP-01 Shadow ($1200ish I think).  All based on the very popular CZ 75 model but different trigger jobs, springs, etc (more polishing/ refining).

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/by-category/handguns/

Are you thinking about purchasing a .22?  If not, why bother.  Save the money unless you just want to have some fun and shoot one.

Your a new shooter right?  Save your money, get your first handgun and read up on ARs to figure out what you want.  Read, read, read about them and ask lots of questions here on the forums.  I don't have an AR, or any rifle yet, but from what I've seen & read they are more available then a short time ago and prices are returning to more normal levels.

Meet up with some people on the forums and try their guns.  Much more affordable then renting a slew of guns and you'll meet some good people.....plus you'll save a ton of cash that you can use to purchase your gun instead of throwing it away on rentals.  If money isn't an obstacle and you don't want to coordinate / don't have the time to do meet ups then by all means rent away.....I would recommend joining a range's discount program as you'll be spending a few hundred dollars to rent several different guns in different calibers.  With Heritage Guild for about $250 membership you get free range time, 25% gun rentals and 10% off ammo purchases (they have reasonable prices on ammo). 

If you are able to get out to Easton some weekend I can meet you at Heritage Guild or Easton Game and Fish (outdoor range, so weather permitting) and you can try my Ruger GP100 revolver or CZ 75B in 9mm.  Send me a PM if interested.

Good luck!

Got the USP, and sold it before I could ever get it transferred to myself (long story, involves anti-gun parents and an absolutely wonderful FFL here on the board). So due to aforementioned parental situation, I'm stuck with renting and shooting as much as I can afford. Which, with a college student budget, is not a lot.

The good news is I graduate in the spring, so if I do get the job I want, I'll be moving out. For that, I'm saving up for an Ithaca 37, as I've found that trap shooting is fun, A pistol is next on the list too, so I'll give the CZ a shot.