voyager9

Proposed DE Gun laws

Del. Lawmakers unveil new gun "safety" proposals:

1. Requiring Background Checks for Private Firearm Sales

2. Requiring the Reporting of Lost and Stolen Firearms

3. Banning the Sale, Manufacture, Delivery and Unlawful Possession of Large-Capacity Magazines:

4. Banning the Manufacture, Sale, Delivery and Unlawful Possession of Military Weapons

5. Banning Possession of a Firearm Within 1,000 Feet of a School

In my opinion:

#1: Lame, if this requires a FFL. If like NJ with the FPID/COE forms it's not so bad... probably live with it.

#2: Ok.. don't necessarily see a problem with this.

#3: Very Lame: Proposed limit would be 10 rounds for handgun, 5 for rifle. Also this gem:

Acknowledging that thousands of law-abiding Delawareans currently possess large-capacity magazines lawfully, the bill would make such possession unlawful only if it occurs (1) in a public place (which would include highways, schools, parks, restaurants, bars, and similar locations), and (2) within 20 feet of a firearm capable of accepting such magazine. The bill would exempt certain shooting ranges from the definition of “public place,” so that the possession and use of large-capacity magazines at such ranges would not be prohibited.

Ok, so they may exempt certain ranges, but I still can't transport them over highways.

#4: Simply asinine.

#5: Asinine. One of those feel good laws that would only stop people who already follow laws.

It's all asinine.

Aside from the "give an inch/take a mile" concerns, what's so bad about #2? I'm curious if there is an aspect I'm overlooking because it doesn't seem too bad to me. If I have a firearm and it is stolen I would think it would be in my benefit to report it. (not sure it should be a law, but.. )

#2: Ok.. don't necessarily see a problem with this.

I could see a law like this becoming an issue for the law-abiding - no different than being arrested because you miscounted 29 days instead of 30 in between pistols.

Instead, you get arrested because your guns have been stolen when you went on vacation and you didn't report it when you got back because you didn't notice for a few days.

Aside from the "give an inch/take a mile" concerns, what's so bad about #2? I'm curious if there is an aspect I'm overlooking because it doesn't seem too bad to me. If I have a firearm and it is stolen I would think it would be in my benefit to report it. (not sure it should be a law, but.. )

Now lets play this out as to what cold happen.

Now what would you first proposes the penalty to be for not reporting it??

Now say a gun you own was used in a crime and they come to you, and for some reason ( many scenarios could come into play ) and it wasn't you but you didn't report it because you didn't know it was not in your possession.

Now think abut the penalty you just thought of in my first question.

Ready to live with that??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I could see a law like this becoming an issue for the law-abiding - no different than being arrested because you miscounted 29 days instead of 30 in between pistols.

Instead, you get arrested because your guns have been stolen when you went on vacation and you didn't report it when you got back because you didn't notice for a few days.

I see your point but the article specifically mentioned that it was 48 hours from discovery. That is also the hole in the proposes bill and why it probably doesn't fix anything. I can always claim I did t realize it was stolen.

Now say a gun you own was used in a crime and they come to you, and for some reason ( many scenarios could come into play ) and it wasn't you but you didn't report it because you didn't know it was not in your possession.

I can't answer that but let me ask. What would happen now? Are there any other laws that require reporting of a crime? Or make it a crime for not reporting? Are there other objects where this behavior is required?