RecessedFilter

Obama Press Conf. Thread - Combined

It's not about the ban...it's about the potential requirement doing away with FTF and moving to FFL only transfers. Every transfer through an FFL means every transferred gun becomes 'registered'.

Wouldn't the current menthod for NJ also meet the requirements? For a FTF I have to show valid FPID, which proves I had a background check at one point.. I would be ok with this since nothing about the gun(s) gets recorded.

Similarly, I could see a proposal that doesn't equate to registration. For example before any FTF sale occurs the buyer has to go to an FFL and they run them through NCIS and sign the equivalent of a COE. This new COE is presented to the seller and the FTF proceeds.

I'm telling you...this has the smell of anyone voicing their opinion that they feel it's their right to own an AR or hi-cap mag will eventually be declared "unfit" and won't be able to own a gun at all.

Very possible. The way Obama was saying it regarding "common sense gun laws," if you don't agree with him 100% on his proposals, there's something wrong with you.

“The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation” Mein Kampf, Adolf Hitler

So crazy person won't go shoot someone with a registered gun now. Applause

Still doesn't solve the problem

I agree that it won't stop people from shooting people. Outside of Jersey, anyone can buy whatever they want, whenever they want. I don't think it's a terrible thing to require everyone in the US to have an FID. The 10 round mag is insane though...

Wouldn't the current menthod for NJ also meet the requirements? For a FTF I have to show valid FPID, which proves I had a background check at one point.. I would be ok with this since nothing about the gun(s) gets recorded.

Similarly, I could see a proposal that doesn't equate to registration. For example before any FTF sale occurs the buyer has to go to an FFL and they run them through NCIS and sign the equivalent of a COE. This new COE is presented to the seller and the FTF proceeds.

Agreed...those are both reasonable, as long as the gun info isn't recorded, but it is on the COE. Doesn't take much legal maneuvering to require COE's be entered into a database.

I agree with the idea of a FID and NICS check. Just leave the COE out of it. What's the purpose of having an FID, passing a NICS check AND signing a COE?

Does anyone else seem to think that this list of Exec Orders are basically window-dressing for the dumb-dumbs? If you read between the lines, it basically says the president has no power over this. He basically said, here's a list of 23 things to make it seem like i can do something, but i can't.

It does to me.

“The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation” Mein Kampf, Adolf Hitler

Remarkable - Hitler was brilliantly evil...history may not repeat, but it rhymes.

Does anyone else seem to think that this list of Exec Orders are basically window-dressing for the dumb-dumbs? If you read between the lines, it basically says the president has no power over this. He basically said, here's a list of 23 things to make it seem like i can do something, but i can't.

i dont know...look at some things and what they COULD mean

3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.

so WTF does that mean? he wants states to rat on each other?

4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.

review categories......so if you buy more then 100rnd per year, youre in a 'new category' that sends up a flag for possible mental health problem?

8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).

could be either making a gunsafe safer, or forced safe buying if you own a gun, period

14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.

ties in with #4

16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.

WTF does it matter for health care if i have a gun in my house or not? so if i do, i dont get treatment? or only his welfare lovers on obamacare cant own guns?

I would love to shove this in the face of every idiot who told me in 2010 that my tinfoil hat was on way too tight when I said that Obamacare was His way of using the healthcare system to insinuate the Gov't into every facet of our lives.

16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.

17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.

20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.

21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.

Right, it seems like all that stuff is bureaucratic nonsense. Adding layers of unnecessary government, but ultimately just window-dressing. The stuff they WANTED to push through, AWB 2.0, mag ban etc is starting to get some real opposition.

Honestly, it looks like "enough" to the antis, but aside from the FTF NICS stuff, it's nonsense. We need to keep writing/calling/emailing our local legislators and keep the pressure on them to let the AWB, mag ban, and ammo ban to die in committee. That's what we need to do now.

Unless i'm so sleep-deprived that i'm misunderstanding it, it seems (to our side) to be a little impotent. As long as the MSM keeps bleeting on about "Obama's SWEEPING GUN VIOLENCE PLAN" the dummies are doing to think it's enough. It seems like OUR numbers are strong enough to start to turn the tide.

Unless i'm so sleep-deprived that i'm misunderstanding it, it seems (to our side) to be a little impotent. As long as the MSM keeps bleeting on about "Obama's SWEEPING GUN VIOLENCE PLAN" the dummies are doing to think it's enough. It seems like OUR numbers are strong enough to start to turn the tide.

Even so, his proposals, even if "mere suggestions", now put doctors in the cross hairs, so to speak. What happens when the next psycho shoots up a theater after telling his psychologist that he had similar thoughts? That doctor is FINISHED. What doctor, after this ever so gentle and subtle a suggestion by BHO, will have the wherewithal to not sound every possible alarm at any hint of a problem, citing liability?

News broke today that the psychologist who treated the Colorado theater shooter is being sued because she didn't report him quick enough.

i dont know...look at some things and what they COULD mean

3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.

so WTF does that mean? he wants states to rat on each other?

4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.

review categories......so if you buy more then 100rnd per year, youre in a 'new category' that sends up a flag for possible mental health problem?

8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).

could be either making a gunsafe safer, or forced safe buying if you own a gun, period

14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.

ties in with #4

WTF does it matter for health care if i have a gun in my house or not? so if i do, i dont get treatment? or only his welfare lovers on obamacare cant own guns?

He did this because there was a restriction in the care act prohibiting Dr's not from asking that question but from adding it to your

profile, which in the ACA is connected to a centerilized data base. So he just got around a law he did not like in his own bill with a

EO.

Gotta love it!

This was a disgraceful display of manipulation. Talk about using a tragedy to promote political gains. Obama/Biden did nothing but portray firearms as the root cause of evil, and as pure child/innocent killing machines, "with no other purpose".

My blood is boiling, more so at the fact that a large part of our population will fall for this propaganda.

Even so, his proposals, even if "mere suggestions", now put doctors in the cross hairs, so to speak. What happens when the next psycho shoots up a theater after telling his psychologist that he had similar thoughts? That doctor is FINISHED. What doctor, after this ever so gentle and subtle a suggestion by BHO, will have the wherewithal to not sound every possible alarm at any hint of a problem, citing liability?

News broke today that the psychologist who treated the Colorado theater shooter is being sued because she didn't report him quick enough.

This is precisely my concern with the whole mental health aspect.....what doctor is going to put their career on the line to give the green light for someone to own a gun?

What will it take for that doctor to say that he feels you shouldn't own one at all? Are there any checks/balances to this? Or is it, "the doctor said you're a risk, so you can't have a gun."?

He never mentioned the millions of

responsible Americans that currently own these "Evil" Items and use them for recreational fun.

If I hear him say one more time "for the kid who's gunned down on the Chicago street corner" I may

gun myself down. That saying alone proves only 1 point that strict gun control does not work epically

when a City like Chicago has let the gangs and thugs take over the streets run their illegal drugs with

their illegal guns and keep the good law abiding citizens with 0 protection living in fear.

And let's be honest most "kids" hanging on the street corners where people are being gunned down

are most likely gang members, gang related or looking for some sort of trouble, not that they deserve death

but when you play with fire you tend to get burned.

Hodgie

I am NOT saying that truly disturbed people, with access to guns, should not be reported or monitored in some way. But I find this way of going about letting doctors know they are on the hook for it to be kind of scary. A letter from the President of the United States, in the wake of a string of terribly emotional events seems to me like an "offer they can't refuse", Chicago-style.

If I were a doctor today reading these suggestions, I would feel pressured now to go overboard in reporting any kind of abnormality, however remote the possibility of a problem. Wasn't the overuse of expensive tests by doctors one of the primary reasons BHO used in his healthcare argument? They over-prescribe tests to ward off liability. they could easily fall into the same pattern of alerting authorities using the same justification of "just being thorough".

3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system. so WTF does that mean? he wants states to rat on each other?

Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check

system:

• States are a critical source for several key categories of relevant records and data, including criminal history records and records of persons prohibited from having guns for mental health reasons. The Department of Justice will invest $20 million in FY2013 to give states stronger incentives to make this data available. The dministration is also proposing $50 million for this purpose in FY2014, and will look for additional ways to ensure that states are doing their part to provide relevant information.

I agree. This is mostly window dressing with very little substance. This is GOOD. Hell, I wish he made another 23 EOs with BS like this to further give the hoplophobe retards out there something to hang their hat on.

As always, the true fight is in Congress and that's where we need to make our voices heard. In fact I think these EOs did us a favor, by giving some democratic reps and senators an out to vote against any further bans by saying something has been done and more studies are needed etc...

Agreed...those are both reasonable, as long as the gun info isn't recorded, but it is on the COE. Doesn't take much legal maneuvering to require COE's be entered into a database. I agree with the idea of a FID and NICS check. Just leave the COE out of it. What's the purpose of having an FID, passing a NICS check AND signing a COE?

I can see the benefit of a COE to the seller, as proof that the sale was to a eligible person.. agree that submission of a COE would equate to registration and must be avoided.

I am NOT saying that truly disturbed people, with access to guns, should not be reported or monitored in some way. But I find this way of going about letting doctors know they are on the hook for it to be kind of scary. A letter from the President of the United States, in the wake of a string of terribly emotional events seems to me like an "offer they can't refuse", Chicago-style.

If I were a doctor today reading these suggestions, I would feel pressured now to go overboard in reporting any kind of abnormality, however remote the possibility of a problem. Wasn't the overuse of expensive tests by doctors one of the primary reasons BHO used in his healthcare argument? They over-prescribe tests to ward off liability. they could easily fall into the same pattern of alerting authorities using the same justification of "just being thorough".

Agreed. I don't want dangerous, mentally sick people to have access to firearms. But if you make doctors liable in some manner for not reporting someone who later turns violent then the doctors will err on the side of reporting. Better for the doctor to false-positive people than allow one to slip through.

It will then become "known" that if you seek treatment for a mental illness that you run a high risk of being flagged and losing your RKBA, and correspondingly very few who have or want the RKBA will voluntarily seek treatment.

Where do you find balance in this?