UnrestrictedEnthusiastInVA

Proposed New Jersey gun bill will add a 5% sales tax on top of the current 7% sales tax on all guns and ammunition

Moderator has cited me for excercising free speech to a libertarian, apologizes to gestapo that reported me, anyone else with their panties in a bunch?

Well picking up this thread, I'll say stop acting like an ass. Keep in mind on a board like this, you are much more likely to run into other folks in real life, behave accordingly. Not to mention derailing people's threads. Want to just piss and moan, start your own thread.

Amazon is not coming here because oh Christie or anyone else. Thinking that a billion dollar company is going to spend money on site surveys, purchasing land, permits/variances, design, build, hire, train and then employee employees because a Governor who at max has a few years left, you are seriously confused how corporate America works. It is being built because it is close to the ports, gets them closer to NYC and cheapens costs for them and increases customer service. Aka..... It's gonna make them money.

And we are not getting screwed for a "few job" or even a few "hundred." It's 1,5000 full time job, with full benefits, discounts and the option of a 4 day work week as a full timer (4 10 hour days), well above minimum wage, in an "automated" facility with no heavy lifting with round the clock operations. Add in the part timers which will hit 500 in peak season and the effect on local restaurants and stores that will now get fokks stopping before/during/after work in that area which is currently pretty flat. I think this place will help a lot of NJ folks out! Or at least get some off the unemployment tit of America which I am paying for.

If you don't like paying the Amazon tax, shop locally and negotiate the price down to offset the tax.

I'm not sure if this sounds right, but here is a thought on a 5% firearms tax...

Could it be seen as a protection of firearms ownership? Consider this, let's say there are 10mil in firearms sales-on what is now legal- that would result in 500k in taxes slated for "infrastructure improvements." 500k isn't much, but it is a start. Maybe then this leads to a desire for more tax dollars, then they tax ammo. Ammo sales slow a bit, but suddenly approvals for public ranges start expediting more quickly (even I one public range isn't held up, it is quicker than now). Let's keep the chain rollin... Maybe NJ approves NFA firearms for limited use for public ranges. Tax revenues increase. Relaxes NFA rules for law abiding citizens, tax revenues increase... Before you know it there is now 5mil in tax revenues, more guns to shoot, more places to shoot them, more ammo purchased, hearing damage decrease, free happy Americans. Well somewhat happy because now we are being reamed in taxes. Would it be worth it?

Nah, I'd rather not pay more taxes...

I'm not sure if this sounds right, but here is a thought on a 5% firearms tax...

Could it be seen as a protection of firearms ownership? Consider this, let's say there are 10mil in firearms sales-on what is now legal- that would result in 500k in taxes slated for "infrastructure improvements." 500k isn't much, but it is a start. Maybe then this leads to a desire for more tax dollars, then they tax ammo. Ammo sales slow a bit, but suddenly approvals for public ranges start expediting more quickly (even I one public range isn't held up, it is quicker than now). Let's keep the chain rollin... Maybe NJ approves NFA firearms for limited use for public ranges. Tax revenues increase. Relaxes NFA rules for law abiding citizens, tax revenues increase... Before you know it there is now 5mil in tax revenues, more guns to shoot, more places to shoot them, more ammo purchased, hearing damage decrease, free happy Americans. Well somewhat happy because now we are being reamed in taxes. Would it be worth it?

Nah, I'd rather not pay more taxes...

Ranges are not the infastructure improvements that are being discussed. It is to pay for more security at .gov buildings across the state. Because the billions that they take in a year in taxes are not enough to run this state.

I doubt that there is anything listed on Amazon that I couldn't find elsewhere on the 'net that would still be tax-free. eBay, Overstock, private sites, ect... C'mon, isn't Google the new Amazon and eBay combined anyway??? Well... except for guns... oh,,, wow.... I guess that sucks..... Google has that whole LIBERAL A**HOLE CENSORSHIP thing going on with guns and "shopping" right????... but hey, I can still buy a TANK from a Google search if I wanted to, right???

Google Search: Military Tank For Sale USA

http://www.mortarinv...-4#currency=USD

I don't understand the logic: how is it reasonable and fair for an additional firearms tax be used to pay for "infrastructure"?

I'm going to be unpopular with my opinion but:

How about starting to direct some of the tax burdens for things where they belong-which is on the user/ie parents with kids in the school system?

And the old "everyone has to pay because good schools equate to higher property values" has gone out the window. I'm still waiting for that return on my investment...

How about starting to direct some of the tax burdens for things where they belong-which is on the user/ie parents with kids in the school system?

Public goods, in general, do not work this way. Society has deemed that it should provide schooling for children, and so society pays for it.

Simply telling people to move around when they desire an alternative to their current school is very unrealistic, especially for most families which cannot afford to do that, would you like to be limited to buying your guns only in the same town you pay taxes? I dont buy the argument that great schools came first and great neighborhoods came after, I believe well educated parents provide schools with smarter students, but if those schools have great teachers why not rotate them around to all schools, so all students benefit? People desire and benefit from choice, it creates a better product, It stops the taxpayer from being hostage.

As far as the ammo tax goes, this monts's issue of The American Rifleman had an article on the Violence Tax" Cook County IL wanted.

The article says "The Constitution isn't on Preckwinkle's (the woman pushing the tax) side either. Federal and state courts have consistently blocked discriminatory taxes on the exercise of constitutional rights. In 1983, for example, the US Supreme Court struck down a special tax on ink and paper for publications, saying, 'A power to tax differentially, as opposed to a power to tax generally, gives a government a powerful weapon against the taxpayer selected'."

As far as the ammo tax goes, this monts's issue of The American Rifleman had an article on the Violence Tax" Cook County IL wanted.

The article says "The Constitution isn't on Preckwinkle's (the woman pushing the tax) side either. Federal and state courts have consistently blocked discriminatory taxes on the exercise of constitutional rights. In 1983, for example, the US Supreme Court struck down a special tax on ink and paper for publications, saying, 'A power to tax differentially, as opposed to a power to tax generally, gives a government a powerful weapon against the taxpayer selected'."

I'm assuming that if it were to pass and eventually hit SCOTUS, we'd get another 5-4 split (provided all the current roster was still aboard), and the "4" would come up with some bs as to why the tax is constitutional, though they would likely rule the other way if you were to propose a tax on voting or the excercising of speech.

You guys seem to be going back and forth between sales tax and state tax. In Delaware there is zero sales tax, however someone living in NJ and working in DE, gets raped when it comes to state payroll taxes. Not sure if it's any better living and working in DE.