papercutninja

Is .22 Short an obsolete round?

A coworker of mine offered to sell me an old target pistol, but it's in .22 short. It's an interesting enough pistol that i'd consider if for the right price, but i don't want to end up buying a relic.

I don't think it is very common but my father has a revolver that we shoot shorts->magnum. I'd assume most can as well as cocking single shot rifle's. But they are not very accurate and depending on the price you would pay it is probably best to get a 22lr pistol as its much more accurate.

There used to be more target pistols made in 22 short. The Walther GSP is one of them. The rational is the lighter recoil made it easier to recover from the recoil in rapid fire stages. The round is more than powerful enough to punch holes in paper. Less wear and tear on your backstop or bullet trap too.

I use them in revolvers and lever actions for plinking and don't think they are that much off the accuracy of LR. I also have a Beretta 950 in 22 S (thanx to fliks) I like shooting as it is phenomenally accurate for a tiny gun. Not my first choice for SD but its almost as good as a 22LR or 25 ACP and I might be able to bluff my way out. Remember during the Civil War many Union officers went on the battlefield with a 22S S&W No. 1 in each pocket and felt adequately armed. Well, they had a sword too.

Funny that you said that, my Dad just gave me a million-year-old box of .22 Shorts that go with one of my great grandfathers target competition revolvers, I just thought it was cool to see an old old round etc.

I am thinking you can shoot the .22 shorts in a .22LR modern gun if you have one it just won't cycle an action.

I was told in PA that with my NJ drivers license I could not buy a Henry repeater because if I loaded .22 shorts in it I would be over the 15 round limit.

So I guess in PA the .22 short is viable enough to stop them from taking my money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was told in PA that with my NJ drivers license I could not buy a Henry repeater because if I loaded .22 shorts in it I would be over the 15 round limit.

So I guess in PA the .22 short is viable enough to stop them from taking my money.

Whoever told you that was an idiot. I have a Henry lever action. If its not semi auto you can have a mag tube of whatever you want.

Whoever told you that was an idiot. I have a Henry lever action. If its not semi auto you can have a mag tube of whatever you want.

Ya, I know. I said "i just looked it up on my iphone and it is legal."

She says"sir, ai have been doing this for a long time. It isn't legal and we are not going to sell you this rifle. If you really want this rifle you should move out of that communist state".

I said, "well I'll just go back to New Jersey and buy it there then".

22 Short is still around and available and works in most modern bolt- or lever-action rifles. Cost is about the same for quality 22LR - which is to say pretty cheap. Back when shooting galleries were actual shooting galleries, I believe .22 Short was the caliber of choice. If you're looking for an interesting conversation piece for the collection, go for it.

22 Short is still around and available and works in most modern bolt- or lever-action rifles. Cost is about the same for quality 22LR - which is to say pretty cheap. Back when shooting galleries were actual shooting galleries, I believe .22 Short was the caliber of choice. If you're looking for an interesting conversation piece for the collection, go for it.

There were some semi autos made for shooting galleries in 22S only. Remington made a model of the Nylon 66 in 22S.

There were some semi autos made for shooting galleries in 22S only. Remington made a model of the Nylon 66 in 22S.

Did not know that; that would be a good piece to track down for the collection.

Why do I have the feeling my family of .22s is about to gain a new member?

Also a great round for the basement--if you have the balls........since they make about the same noise as a spring-loaded pellet rifle!

In the "old days", folks used to shoot them in "parlor guns" in their living rooms..........

I believe the .22 short is still used in some high-level rimfire pistol competitions.

It used to be the cartridge of choice for Olympic Rapid Fire, and there were some very, very fine target guns made to take advantage of it.

Rules changed a couple of years ago, and now 22LR is required for the Oly Rapid event.